Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 8,839 times

Advertisements

ive been thinking about moving to san diego, from new york, jus wanna find out hows the rent there,(if i room with one or two other people) im a college student and lookin to finish my bachelors in the next few years, thats pretty much how long i wanna stay there unless i really like it there. i work valet and i know i can make good money on that there, but obviously im not ganna make millions, so if anybody has some good advice for me, or maybe direct me to another city somehwere in cali that would be good for me. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM

32 posts, read 272,696 times
i currently live in ny as well and am in almost the same position as you, i want to move out there and continue school, but i want to stay after school.

i figured it out to cost me about 1100 a month to get by out there, thats living more inland and with like 2 or 3 room mates. but that includes like rent, utilities, car insurance, gas, cell phone, food, and a little money for going out.

working 40hrs a week i would have no problem paying those bills, but when i start school i would prolly only be able to work like 20hrs, cutting income in half obviously, and putting me below what i need to make it. i would save while not in school and take loans for how ever extra i needed to compensate for that, but still, while in school id be barely getting by.
this is based on me working a job that my friend would be hooking me up with starting at like $11/hr.
it wont be easy for me, i know that but i love the area, and need to get out of buffalo, so i wont mind busting my ass to be where i want to be. the only thing that worries me is getting f*cked over with something like car repairs or a car accident or getting hurt and not being able to work ora room mate backing out on me, but its a chance i would have to take.

youll also want to look at schools, do you know where u wana go? are you going to wait a r to become a resident so you dont get raped with out of state fees? something else i found (wanting to eventually finish my engineering degree at either sdus or ucsd) is that those schools require 60 credits if you want to transfer, and i only have 30, so ill have to attend a community college for a yr to pick up the 30 credits. there is also no guarentee all my current credits will transfer, and you cant find out untill u apply and get accepted and meet with someone from the school in person (which i think is kind of a poor system but theres no way around it, i called all around.)

all of this stuff is based on what i have come up with and my situation, if i move ill be totally on my own, no help form parents or anything, so if i screw up im f*cked.

another thing youll probably want to consider is how much you want to move out there with. i would like to move out there with around 7k, so i can pay off a few months rent, buy a car, pay off a few months car insurance, buy stuff for my apartment and then still have like 2k so keep in the bank to fall back on.

its such a big decsion for me because liek is aid, if i move im totally on my own, idk if its the same way for you., but hopefully this helped u you out.

also - im not trying to discourage you at all from moving, just letting u know all the stuff i have come across

Old 03-27-2007, 05:43 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
just do what I did...

move here with nothing, crash on floors, rent crappy rooms with crappy roomates for years, go to school, work, party... and eventually end up something barely more than a complete slob!

You can do it. If you like SD, find a roommate on Craigslist or something, and get out here.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 PM

32 posts, read 272,696 times
how old were u when you moved sassberto?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoz87 View Post
how old were u when you moved sassberto?
I was 19 when I moved to SD

Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 AM

11 posts, read 53,706 times
Outamamind87,

Finding a college roommate, or two, around San Diego shouldn't be a problem. I went to San Diego State and they have fellow students looking for roommates all the time. As Sassberto mentioned, check out Craigslist, but beware of scammers. Your best bet is to find a college you're interested in and check out there websites. SDSU has the Daily Aztec on their website with the classifieds. I just checked it and they have a "Rooms 4 Rent" section with listings from $600 to $700.

If you plan on finding employment as a valet, check out the restaurants & hotels off of Prospect St. in La Jolla or try the gaslamp area downtown. Parking is at a premium at those places and valets stay busy. I never worked as a valet, but used their services a number of times. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: