Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,061 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of visiting San Diego sometime in August.

And well, after looking at other prices of hotels, I realized they like to charge you A LOT.

So it comes back to where I stayed before in Ontario...

Anyways, can anyone tell me about the specific areas where these Motel 6..6's... However you're suppose to say those plural...

Anyways, here are the 3 I'm looking at.

Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
1546 2nd Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101

*Motel 6 San Diego Airport/Harbor*
2353 Pacific Highway
San Diego, CA 92101

Motel 6 San Diego
2424 Hotel Circle North
San Diego, CA 92108

The one with the stars is the one I'm really looking at because it has quite a few amenities including an airport shuttle service, which is shocking.

I'm planning on renting a car... So if anyone can tell me how to drive right.. Because right now I drive like I'm daft... Ya know.. Weaving in and out of traffic on the highways at 80... In town at about 55-60... Sometimes I pass people every chance I get other times, I'm pretty decent and stay in the lane I need and just fly!.. .. I mean do the speed limit. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated... And any suggestions as well! Please and thanks all!

Last edited by Ronzou; 04-09-2007 at 01:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:43 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
I don't know, but can I go for a ride with you sometime??? LOL

Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't know, but can I go for a ride with you sometime??? LOL

LOL! Sure can when I get down there!

Last edited by Ronzou; 04-09-2007 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: people might actually think I'm daft

Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Well, the SD City Council thinks you aren't paying enough for your hotel room because they keep wanting to raise the hotel room tax by another 3%.

Anyway, all three of the areas are fine. The Hotel Circle location will require you to drive if you want to go anywhere. The 2nd Ave location is closest to the downtown entertainment district. The PCH location is walkable to downtown also, but be sure to wear comfortable shoes. I guess what I'd like to ask is what do you want from the location of your hotel? Is there something specific you want to be close to? Do you want to be within walking distance of bars and restaurants? The beaches? Balboa Park? Or since you'll be renting a car location doesn't really matter and you just want to know that the cheapest of the three will be acceptable? Yes. All three areas are fine.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 AM

Last edited by Ronzou : Yesterday at 11:18 PM. Reason: people might actually think I'm daft

I don't think you're daft!!! I just think you're a WAY cool driver! LOL

Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Well, the SD City Council thinks you aren't paying enough for your hotel room because they keep wanting to raise the hotel room tax by another 3%.

Anyway, all three of the areas are fine. The Hotel Circle location will require you to drive if you want to go anywhere. The 2nd Ave location is closest to the downtown entertainment district. The PCH location is walkable to downtown also, but be sure to wear comfortable shoes. I guess what I'd like to ask is what do you want from the location of your hotel? Is there something specific you want to be close to? Do you want to be within walking distance of bars and restaurants? The beaches? Balboa Park? Or since you'll be renting a car location doesn't really matter and you just want to know that the cheapest of the three will be acceptable? Yes. All three areas are fine.
Ah yes, raising taxes, that's a great way to dissuade people to stay elsewhere.

Anyways, thanks for the information!

If I don't manage to land a rent a car, I want to be somewhat close to food, the beaches, Sea World, and maybe some shopping. I'm not a big fan of that last one, but when I'm on vacation I always buy something.

As for driving, if I do manage to land a rent a car, what can I expect for traffic? Is it just as bad in town as it is on the freeways?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Last edited by Ronzou : Yesterday at 11:18 PM. Reason: people might actually think I'm daft

I don't think you're daft!!! I just think you're a WAY cool driver! LOL
HAHA! Well most people tell me I drive like a maniac, because I pulled into work one morning, and people wondered where I got my license from. Well, the DMV of course. I just drive extra nice for them! Then return to my usual... I have to get there in 5 minutes speed racer way!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Ah yes, raising taxes, that's a great way to dissuade people to stay elsewhere.

Anyways, thanks for the information!

If I don't manage to land a rent a car, I want to be somewhat close to food, the beaches, Sea World, and maybe some shopping. I'm not a big fan of that last one, but when I'm on vacation I always buy something.

As for driving, if I do manage to land a rent a car, what can I expect for traffic? Is it just as bad in town as it is on the freeways?
None of these locations are walkable to the beach. However, at the PCH and 2nd Avenue locations you could take the ferry across the bay, and walk across the city of Coronado to their beach which is a classic wide flat sand beach.

None are walkable to Sea World.

The best food selection would be in the Gaslamp. 2nd Avenue would be closest, but the PCH location is doable too.

Shopping. There's shopping at Horton Plaza and around the Gaslamp. 2nd Avenue would be closest, PCH would be doable.

Outside of rush hours, 6-9 am and 3:30-6:30 pm, traffic on the freeways is pretty good. In town isn't so bad, because on the surface streets being in a non-moving condition is normal.

If you can't get a cheap weekly car rental you might consider just renting a car as needed or taking a taxi. At the downtown locations a taxi would probably be fairly close at hand. There are some cheaper off-airport car rentals on Kettner Boulevard, which is 3 long blocks inland from PCH. Check your map for exact locations.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 AM

Hey Ronz, sometimes I have to drive like a maniac too! I'm usually a very punctual person, but sometimes I get down to the wire and I have only a few minutes to get somewhere and have to fly like a bat outta you-kow-where! Those are the times when I start thinking "hmmm, when are they supposed to come out with those jet packs and hover craft anyway ..."

Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM

For now it looks like the airport/harbor location is my best bet. Because it is pretty much centrally located and with a car or taxi, most everything would be within 10 minutes time? Maybe?

Okay, I'm use to those times being rush hour that's when people go to work and leave work here.

Twinkle Toes
I know EXACTLY what you mean, I was late to class one time, and it normally takes me 25 - 30 minutes to get to school, that day it took me about 8. They sound like fun! I wouldn't mind one of those! Wouldn't have to worry about nails popping tires. Or other garbage on the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego