Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 11,144 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

New here on the forum so please cut me some slack if I missed a relevant prior thread. (I have looked)

We currently live in Oakland (and have lived in California since the 80s), are retired and thinking we are likely to move to San Diego County. We live in a lovely upper middle class neighborhood and the weather sure is great. But we are sick and tired of the lunatics that run the asylum here and the crime rate. Given that we are retired, there is no longer a reason to own a premium priced home in a premium priced area because it is near the office.

Regarding San Diego, our bias is to live in one of the coastal communities. Seems like the most desirable one is La Jolla. From what I remember (it has been years), it sure is a heck of nice area and the coastal weather is just what we like. But, of course, it is big bucks.

I would like some feedback and advice on some of the other communities (and please chime in about La Jolla). When I study listings and maps from afar, I am concerned about freeway noise in towns like Cardiff, Encinitas, Del Mar, etc. It seems like that since the 5 Interstate is so close to the shore, it may be hard to find a quiet area.

Is that accurate?

And, if I go further inland, it gets hotter. But, I am not sure how hot and the likes of weather.com have not been completely helpful to me in terms of understanding very localized climates.

Can you tell me about the summer weather/temperature in areas like Olivenhain, for example? The same for Rancho Santa Fe? Is the western side RSF cooler than the eastern side by a material amount?

I ask these questions because in my quest to find "more house for the money", it looks like I will run into either freeway noise and/or hotter summer weather than I care for. But, I want to know in more detail and with more certainty.

There appear to be several RSF homes that we can afford (say 2.5 million or thereabouts) and the houses and lots are actually much bigger than I care to own. But, I do not want to end up with a weather trade off that is too severe. Similarly priced homes in La Jolla (perhaps quite logically) are smaller and in need of significant improvements.

We are about to start engaging with an agent and planning a road trip (maybe wearing hazmat suits), but I want to be as knowledgable as I can be in advance so we can make the best use of our time.

Any suggestions or feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 06:32 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,455 times
I agree with you; I do think many of the North County coastal towns are very freeway centric. The I-5 is very busy and congested and I’d imagine freeway noise is an issue. Unless you are a real beach bum, I just don’t see the appeal. It’s such a narrow strip of land between the highway and the beach.

What about other issues? Is walkability a concern? Politics? I’ve always thought of Rancho Santa Fe and Olivenheim as very Republican albeit more Romney than Trump. I don’t think you need to worry about weather; it almost always cools down at night and it won’t be anywhere near as hot as it gets in say Orinda even in eastern Rancho Santa Fe. Winters are pretty perfect. Much less rain than the Bay but most years everything turns beautifully green.

I think La Jolla is a good choice but as you say, very expensive. Bird Rock is nice but even for 2.5 you won’t get a lot of house. If you are looking for some walkability, easy access to downtown and the airport, I’d highly recommend Mission Hills. It’s much more blue as well. Crime is non existent compared to Oakland.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:59 PM

I care about politics less than I care about safety, upkeep and decently run government and services. Oakland fails on all of these.

Regarding politics, we are perhaps more on the left than the right but much more middle of the road. Say financially conservative and socially more liberal, people can do whatever they darn well please but please abide by the law and, for goodness sakes no riots please. I don't care about my neighbors politics if they are nice and leave it alone. When we lived in Orange County, it was a bit too conservative and Oakland is just way nuts on the left.

Walkability is really important, thanks for that. Our exercise is our daily walks and we have an Aussie for a dog - high energy - she needs and gets her walks.

I will check Mission Hills - thanks.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:17 PM

179 posts, read 201,660 times
Consider Bay Park if you don't need to be on the water, but close. You will have some money left over. Mission Hills is nice too. Have you considered Del Mar and Solana Beach?

Old 08-11-2020, 07:23 PM

Here is a recent sold in Bay Park. It was not my listing. But you can see proximity, price, and the views.https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4-25145#photo2

Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
If looking at La Jolla, then also be sure to tour homes in Encinitas, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff, and coastal Carlsbad as well. La Jolla gets lots of tourists who are shopping on Prospect or driving along Coast Blvd., and you won't be happy paying a premium dealing with these annoying crowds, no parking, and serious traffic into and out of La Jolla. You'll have less of this in other areas, but still lots of people. La Jolla location will be very important, because the less driving you have to do for everyday tasks, the happier you will be. Gilman, Genessee and Village Drive really suck during morning/evening commutes.

I'd rent in RSF before buying there, because it can take a while to jettison a property you don't like. Be sure you get a place that has excellent broadband, some properties still have connectivity issues (though it's been getting better). Even five years ago poor broadband was a problem with some properties. If you want to regularly visit the coast, you may start to hate the drive from RSF to the coast, especially with traffic along La Valle or the 56, depending on where you go. Also, take a look at how many homes are for sale in RSF -- it's still a fair amount, and several years ago it was higher. This has been consistent for years. Sellers are looking to jettison the larger homes, on larger lots, due to significant upkeep, water and utility bills, etc. Perhaps the virus will reverse this trend in the near term, but who knows. And a two-acre lot, for example, definitely is going to require upkeep, including regularly clearing brush due to significant fire hazard, palm frond trimming, low-volume watering solutions, etc.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:57 PM

I am definitely open to other communities aside from La Jolla, e.g. Del Mar, Solano, etc. In fact, in many ways I may prefer them. Traffic and tourists as described and maybe less $$$.

What holds me back is if all the houses I look at that are close to the water and coastal weather have a lot of freeway noise. The other general item is that we prefer a single story home. We are 68 years old and in good shape. But, at some point, stairs will be an issue. I would like as much longevity in the home as we can get. Of course, these homes are in much lower supply because of lot size. But, more so right at the coast - I assume that, aside from lot size, it is a hill down to the sea.

I had not thought about the upkeep (or the internet for goodness sakes - never occurred to me that would be an issue) in RSF. The houses and the lots certainly look like more house for the money. In fact, too much house. We would be very content in 3000 to 4000 square feet and most of the homes I am seeing online are way bigger than that.

Regarding noise, I looked at the map for Mission Hills. Looks like it is in a triangle of 3 freeways. That makes me think the traffic noise would be pretty difficult to avoid!

So, the magic pony I am looking for is cooler weather, good walkability, flatter lots, quiet, etc.

Any comments on Olivenhain?

Old 08-11-2020, 08:57 PM

Wise of you to consider your mobility. I am also a licensed physio who consults in home care. So many people have to leave their home, become confined to it, or have to live on the 1st floor only when they get in their late 70s and 80s.
Some areas of Mission Hills are louder. Some are exceptionally quiet. I'm no expert in noise pollution, but generally once you get a few blocks away you usually can't hear it. Perhaps the bay and ocean drown things out? Mission Hills can be awful in terms of walkability in that many homes are built on am incline. It is closer to the action of the city, however. One other spot you might consider is Sunset Cliffs. It is away from highways on a penninsula, still close to the water, walkable, and still flat in some areas.

In terms of places that are most friendly for mobility, you generally want to find an area that has more new construction. They are much more likely to have weird split levels.
I can't comment on Olivenhain. RSF is definitely getting to be slightly warmer and with large properties. I have a broker colleague based in RSF. If you want me to have him give you a call, send me a DM. RSF is the opposite of walkable. You can certainly walk in some of the communities with golf courses, but not really out for dinner.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
If you live within a half mile of a freeway, you'll hear it at night. I live about 2 miles from the 125 and can hear it in the middle of the night. Esp when the freeway is in a canyon a la Mission Hills.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:16 PM

425 posts, read 647,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjg View Post
I am definitely open to other communities aside from La Jolla, e.g. Del Mar, Solano, etc. In fact, in many ways I may prefer them. Traffic and tourists as described and maybe less $$$.
OP, I used to live in Burlingame (wife loved it, weather was not too hot and she thought the little downtown was perfect) and now live in RSF so I think I have an idea of what you want and RSF isn't it...gets pretty hot vs the coast...about 1 degree for every mile in. Wife hates the heat and there is WAY more landscaping than we thought. We have to pay a landscaper for weekly service not to mention most homes in RSF are going to have an HOA...and yes the broadband is terrible especially when you consider the avg price of homes here. I don't think Olivenhein is much better other than its closer to doing shopping in Encinitas. Wife thought is was 'blah' neighborhood.

I work in La Jolla and wouldn't live there...great weather but traffic can be terrible depending where you are. I was actually pretty impressed with Cardiff. It's a nice little area and I really don't think the noise is bad especially if you get a smaller home that has trees and other nearby homes help insulate the noise.

Not sure why San Diego is the place to be if you have flexibility. I used to live in Malibu and would take that over San Diego any day. Also some of the OC hoods I think make good retirement destinations like Mission Viejo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego