Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,287 times

Advertisements

I've recently been approached with the opportunity to move to San Diego (something I've been wanting to do for some time) with some friends and get a GREAT deal on a house for one month. This would allow me to live in the area while I 1.find a job 2.familiarize myself with the area and 3.find a neighborhood I'd like to move to. The only problem is that since this opportunity came on very suddenly, I have basically no money saved and I do actually have a great paying job where I'm currently living in Seattle.

I've started applying for several positions but most responses I have gotten saying something to the tune of "Call us when you get down here." Is it true that I have to relocate before I will be able to find employment? Or is it realistic to think that I might find find something before thing big move?

I don't know what the job climate is down there right now, so I have no idea how difficult it will be for me to find a position. By the way, I'm in the Marketing industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:56 PM

136 posts, read 548,984 times
My personal opinion is to have a job and then move. Otherwise thing can get ugly real fast, especially if you do not have enough savings to live off of while finding a job. Not a smart way to do things, in my opinion.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,262 times
If you had enough money to live off on for at least 1yr I would definitely tell you to go for it and give it a chance but considering you mentioned you have BASICALLY NO MONEY SAVED I wouldn't recommend that be a SMART move so to speak at this time.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 36,648 times
I agree. You're fortunate to have a high paying job right now. If you move without any money saved, you will have that bit of stress in the back of your mind the whole time you're in SD until you find a job. And in terms of the job, you don't want to jump at the first offer. It might not be the ideal in terms of pay, responsibillities, etc.

After you have enough money saved, you can always sublet a place for cheap and explore SD.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 PM

80 posts, read 296,156 times
Job first, in my opinion. I did the move first and it took me 11 months to find a good job that pays well and is something I enjoy doing. My fiancee was offered a fantastic position (which was the reason for the move) and I had a lot of money saved, but even then it started to get a little hairy after 9 months or so.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
If you have a great paying job in Seattle, seriously, I would stay there. right now, job trumps everything else. And the SD job market is terrible....especially marketing. Those are the first people to go and the last people to be brought back in. Hey, be happy where you are...at least you live in a great city and have a good job.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 AM

107 posts, read 338,641 times
Save up some money, at least $5-10k. Then move to SD. Otherwise you will probably fail. Sorry.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 44,977 times
It's realllly expensive here, just the cost of living and stuff... I'm thinking of moving back to New Mexico primarily because of the financial woes I'm facing, and I had to get a pretty low-paying job as a recent college grad, and I can barely make ends meet... basically can pay rent, and that's it, and in New Mexico I'd be living pretty well. I wouldn't recommend moving here w/o a job and/or a lot of money saved up, myself..

Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 PM

20 posts, read 49,682 times
I would wait out the job market before moving. San Diego will always be here but a well paying job may not...

Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,488 times
Don't do it. The job market is bad. Real bad. And jobs, in general, do not pay very well here when you consider the cost of living. Give it a year or two and save up some serious cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: