Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:34 AM

131 posts, read 298,304 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a single 31-year-old woman looking to re-locate to San Diego once I'm able to land a public relations job out there. I grew up in Ohio, and while it was a wonderful place to be a kid, I have detested it ever since I became of adult age. One of the aspects of it that bothers me the most is how young people are when they get married here. Many people here get married in their early 20's -- and I do mean EARLY 20's. Consequently, they "settle down" at a young age, start a family and all that, which leaves a single, career-oriented person like me with very few local friends. Most of the friends I have made here have been younger than me, because the people my age and even those a bit younger than me don't want to do anything social now that they are "settled down."

My point in telling you all of this is to provide you with a bit of background for my question. I read somewhere that living in downtown San Diego is a good way to meet young, single people. I would like to meet people for both friendships and dating. Am I going to run into the same problem I have dealt with here in regard to the region being way too family-oriented? Is San Diego a "young person's town"? And would living in downtown increase my chances of meeting people in the same life situation as me?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
I'm a 31 year-old single male. (And, everybody save the jokes about match.com and the like lol) I moved to San Diego last summer at 30. It's a great place. BUT, I found that I was in a bit of a "tweener" situation. There are tons of young partying singles, but a lot of it is of the frat/sorority nature, even downtown. Downtown would be better than PB though. But, as much as I can appreciate and enjoy downtown SD, I couldn't quite get stoked about living downtown. I actually moved back up to Hermosa Beach in L.A. county. Why? HB and Manhattan Beach are absolutely perfect for this age range. I could go on about why. But, it would be moot if your job would be in SD. If you're set on SD-and it is a great place to be sure-then I'll wait and let others comment.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times
My father lives in 5th Avenue right in the Gaslamp District, and it's great if you're young and living in the city. There are tons of restaurants, bars, and clubs of good quality that you can meet people at. I find that San Diegans are quite social so you'll have no problem meeting people. It's become quite hip to live in Downtown particularly in the East Village area. Many yuppies with their dogs live in the high rises and you see them walking with their pets and what not.

I actually recommend Little Italy, right next to downtown as a place to live. It's quieter, and has a nice community vibe, but it's still in downtown just not as overwhelming. Many cute cafes, restaurants, and bars and beautiful old architecture.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times
I DON'T recommend PB, it's overrated and bro/bro ho galore. You know a lot of white trash guys with tats and wife beaters, the clubs and bars are very very college style...it's not at all liberal artsy ville in any way. Downtown is more sophisticated.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Good point about Little Italy. It's charming and a tad cheaper than being right in the Gaslamp. It is very small though. IMO, as far as living in downtown goes, an overlooked but IMO HUGE factor would be how close you are to that Ralphs. Obviously, a huge part of the appeal of livig down there is being able to walk everywhere. If you could walk easily to that Ralphs (the only full grocery store in dowtown) it would make a huge difference IMO. Of course, that's also the most central part of downtown as well.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I'd go with Little Italy or North Park before right in the middle of Downtown probably. or Hillcrest if you don't mind living in the gay neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Downtown is really a bit more of a tourist, party location than a real neighborhood. I can say that my wife's single 30-something girlfriends hate it in San Diego because they say it's full of 20-something drunkards.

I would look at North Park, Normal Heights, Hillcrest, etc.. Little Italy is an option as well.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Downtown is really a bit more of a tourist, party location than a real neighborhood. I can say that my wife's single 30-something girlfriends hate it in San Diego because they say it's full of 20-something drunkards.

I would look at North Park, Normal Heights, Hillcrest, etc.. Little Italy is an option as well.
Well, if you're talking the nightlife scene, yeah that's pretty true haha. But, if you're characterizing all of San Diego like this, then that's pretty ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks for all of the replies you have given me so far, guys! I really appreciate it, as I want to make an informed decision about moving to San Diego.

I'm straight myself but very liberal, so I wouldn't mind living in a gay neighborhood AT ALL. In fact, it would be a refreshing change from the overall very homophobic, very racist Midwest! I'll also look into Little Italy, Normal Heights (nicknamed "Abnormal Heights," right, LOL?), and the other neighborhoods you all suggested. I do realize that San Diego has a rather diverse range of neighborhoods.

So, what are my chances of making friends in San Diego, considering my age and single status? I realize that SD is expensive, etc., but my main concern is leaving the family obsessed Midwest only to end up in a similar social climate. Are there single people my age in SD, and are they open to meeting new people? I'm very outgoing and I make friends easily, but I do still have concerns about ending up permanently lonely (obviously, I'll spend a great deal of time alone at first) in SD. It's my number one concern.

Oh, and it's great to hear that many "yuppies" live downtown with their dogs, because I have a wonderful little dog of my own!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM

Just bumping this post up, because it really is crucial for my decision that I know whether or not it's possible for a thirty-something female to make friends in San Diego...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego