Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 PM

213 posts, read 745,244 times

Advertisements

I go to La Jolla alot and the problem with the seal beach is getting stronger. For the last 3 years I think they've pushed the seals out for a kids beach and they come back. The government wants them out and PETA and those types say no. Personally I think the seals are fine. First of all they'll just infest another beach and that beach isn't good for kids... it gets deep fast, it has many rocks and sea weed only about 5 feet from shore and its dirty. They are cool to look at too. I heard they were thinking of bringing dogs in to scare them bad. But the males are aggressive and might fight back at the dogs especially if there is females with pups. It just seems like the people are just finding something to be mad about I mean La Jolla cove is more kid like then seal beach and has a natural barrier from waves becasuse its an enclave or something. But thanks for any info like if its for sure there going to get the seals out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,536 times
Honestly, this is the most horrible thing I've heard of in a while. People right now are stressed and looking for reasons to get angry. We have enough spoiled rich brats in the world - we don't have enough amazing animals. If someone honestly thinks their precious little snowflake can't enjoy Scripps or Pacific Beach or any of the beautiful shores to be found all along San Diego then they really need to come down with melanoma

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM

40 posts, read 130,780 times
I read an article that they were going to broadcast dogs barking (not bring in actual dogs) from dawn til dusk, for several years, to run the seals off. I know the residents of LJ will have a fit. Can you imagine living in a place and all you hear are dogs barking?

This issue comes at least once every two years. It's laughable. LJ isn't the only beach around...

Signed,
Someone who LOVES the seals!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,603,419 times
But, the seals would not ever have been there if the humans hadn't created the beach as a protected area for a kids' beach. The humans did not create the beach as a protected area for the seals.

I'm completely not for not despoiling any animal's natural area. But this is *not* the seals' natural area. So I have no problem with any gentle way of encouraging the seals to leave and not return.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 AM

111 posts, read 461,245 times
I love the seals but will give my 2 cents in defence of the other side.

Ellen Scripps had donated that beach and funded the development of the SeaWall. In her will she requested that the area be always preserved so children can play and enjoy the beach there. now, I honestly believe that children can enjoy the beach by LOOKING at the seals, but that doesn't change the fact that the request of the late Ellen Scripps is not being honored. The presence of the seals is making the Children's Pool inaccesible to children for beach PLAYING.

So, the organizers of the Scripps Foundation have a obligation to honor the wishes of Ellen Scripps. It is likely that if she was alive today, she may modify her will to allow seals for children to enjoy watching. But as is, the will does not make accomidate for seals on the beach which by default excludes children on the beach.

Get it?

Anyway - I'm totally not sure about the law, the actual will, and all the details. I'm just guessing that it's not "rich brats" who are stirring up trouble, rather that there may be a real reason behind their actions - namely that they are honoring the will of Ms Scripps.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
As far as I am aware she didn't donate the land or own the beach at all, but just funded the building of the wall. Now you cannot "own" a beach in CA but I'm not sure what the deal was before the CA Coastal Act.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:16 AM

43 posts, read 249,415 times
I go to the seal beach alot too, and it seems like certain types of the day all the seals leave to go fish or whatever, which is near the middle of the day when everyone is swimming and then they come back a little later, So i dont really see the problem. EXCEPT the freakin peta terrorists throw stuff at people who try to go down to the beach, ive seen it happen a bunch. to pick a side I'd have to agree with luvSD and say that the beach was made by humuns for humans, and so a non harmful way to get the seals out seems in order. the only thing is that i dont know where they'd go :/

Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 PM

384 posts, read 981,432 times
The beach wasn't made by humans-- the wall was. We've taken almost every bit of coast line that the seals could otherwise use to rest, so they don't have very many options left. I used to work as a harbor seal counter in San Francisco, so I know a bit about their habits. For one thing, they can't swim all day; they do need to haul out and sleep and rest. They typically do this twice a day at low tide on exposed rocks near the coast or on beaches. They are just looking for a quiet spot to sleep along our densely populated coast line. It's very sad what's happening to them.
Janine

Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 PM

213 posts, read 745,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottJM View Post
EXCEPT the freakin peta terrorists throw stuff at people who try to go down to the beach, ive seen it happen a bunch.

I know that sh*t sucks. I go down and swim and if anything the seals are curious and come near you they dont run off. Besides what do peta "tourist" know if they aint from around here. Telling us locals what to do!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 PM

40 posts, read 130,780 times
I was just at the cove last weekend on a much needed vacation. I was SHOCKED at the lack of seals on the beach. I used to sit on the benches for hours, people watching and seal watching. So, now, humans are swimming all over the place. Even if the seals leave, I wouldn't want to swim in that water!

I miss the seals and I would love to have them protected by whatever act. I'm a sucker for nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego