Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 19,572 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am considering living in one of the many rental apts on Clairemont Mesa Blvd just west off of the 805. I know that many posts in this forum have said that Clairemont is in general a safe area, but how is this particular street/area? Is this area classified as the Clairemont area, as it is not so much in the central? The place looked a little run down to me honestly - should I feel safe living here and walking around at night?

Thanks from a new SDer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Yes, Clairemont Mesa Boulevard is part of Clairemont.

Yes, you are correct that it looks a little run down. The apartments on CMB definitely have a tired look to them.

Will you be safe in general? Yes. It's not like Mayberry, but it's not a bad area.

Will you be safe walking around at night? Probably, but there is NOTHING there to walk around to. You will almost drive everywhere you go, because you will be going someplace other than anywhere along Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 AM

3 posts, read 19,572 times
Hey kettle,

Thanks for the response. What's Mayberry? Should I feel safe parking my car outside out there?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewade27 View Post
Hey kettle,

Thanks for the response. What's Mayberry? Should I feel safe parking my car outside out there?
Mayberry RFD... the home of the Andy Griffith show. Sheriff Andy Taylor, his deputy Barney Fife, son Opie, and Aunt Bea.

I think your car would be as safe there as any other place in San Diego.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Yeah apartments aren't that great looking,pretty safe but some might have some problems.Also east of the 805 on CMB and Balboa Avenue(274) there's a lot of places to eat and shop.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewade27 View Post
I am considering living in one of the many rental apts on Clairemont Mesa Blvd just west off of the 805. I know that many posts in this forum have said that Clairemont is in general a safe area, but how is this particular street/area? Is this area classified as the Clairemont area, as it is not so much in the central? The place looked a little run down to me honestly - should I feel safe living here and walking around at night?
I don't think it's unsafe, but many of your neighbors will be low-income. Depending on the building and the quality of the management, you might have to deal with some noise and trash issues. A similar but better area in my opinion are the apartments on the west side of Clairemont towards the 5, off of Balboa.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
My sister with her kids lived there during the 80's. The area was run-down looking even then, but more from being old than being neglected. There wasn't much crime. I never felt imperiled walking on the sidewalks at night, but I wouldn't have walked in the alleys. The biggest problem I observed was the traffic noise. CMB has constant traffic.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Areas that offer cheap rent usually attract low-income renters, and the problems that often go along with it.

I recommend standing outside the apartment buildings you are considering, and approach residents and ask them how they like living there, and what problems they've experienced (crimes, car theft, break-ins, vandalism, bad landlords, etc).

Also pay attention to the noise level around you. Go there during several different times of day to see how the noise level is. You may not like living next to a busy main road, or having thunderous sounding military fighter jets (F-22s, etc.) flying overhead from Miramar Air Base, which is located just a few miles away.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 AM

31 posts, read 66,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
CMB has constant traffic.
It's a boulevard, go figure.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
I wouldn't park a nice car on CMB as it's close to the freeway(and low income housing) so high in break ins. The alley behind it is also a transient highway for whatever reason. There is a smart and final close by and good shopping across the 805.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: