Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 PM

17 posts, read 45,989 times

Advertisements

hi,
We thought we wanted out of Calif so we moved to NC in August. But it's not what we expected, and miss our home turf. we miss the people, stuff to do, weather, familiarity...but question is we want to move to Temecula. Is the crime bad there? Is it good for middle agers (we are 43 and 45) with two kids, 5 and 8 years. We know the area pretty well but want to meet new friends, want good schools and fun communities,activities for our family. we are worried about crime though in the area, and types of people there? What are sone good, quality neighborhoods and elementarys--thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 PM

105 posts, read 552,479 times
Default Temecula is a great area

Temecula is a great area, and still growing. Affordable, safe, plenty of things to do for families. Most of the communities have "neighborhood" schools, so it really depends on where you buy. Check out greatschools.net, but honestly, I think you'll be happy with most of the Temecula schools.

There is alot of inventory on the market right now (we have our home on the market), so you'll have alot to choose from.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:57 PM

Default move back to California

If anyone else can help regarding Temecula. What is the difference between Murrieta and Temecula? Where are better schools? What is the best elementary in both cities? What are average ages of families, parents? What are the better, moderate to higher end neighborhoods, with community pool, tennis, parks etc? Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 14,045 times
I live in Temecula, I prefer Temecula to Murrieta. I feel Temecula was and is better 'planned' and as new construction continues I feel the city does a good job at planning and controlling the new construction. I live in Paloma Del Sol which is great, it was built in the early '90s. Some of the newer developments are Crown Hill and Morgan Run, we have friends in both and are very nice with great schools.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 PM

25 posts, read 107,590 times
we have lived in temecula for 5 years and loved it , we lived in a master planned community called Paseo Del Sol . But the commute to San Diego got to be to much for my husband to work. I would say the nicest community is Harveston, though the homes are a little close, I love the community there, and the lake, parks, etc. I will say however, that since we left there, I feel the area has only gotten worse, in that the communities are becoming more run down, as well as too many foreclosed homes, etc. However, if you are moving for the weather, Temecula does get very hot in the summer, though the nights are always nice and cool. The schools are fairly good, I just think the roads are far too cluttered, and there's too many stoplights.

On the other hand, where in North Carolina did you move, and where did you move from?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Default moving back to california

As i mentioned in my post, we are moving back home to CAL. We moved from Apple Valley, to Wilmington, NC August of '06, big mistake. But at least we know how much we love home. We've lived in Calif all our life my husband and myself and two kids. We are very familiar with Temecula, but wanted info on neighborhoods, we like Morgan Hill alot, Crown hill sounds good too. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:56 AM

80 posts, read 429,910 times
Sorry your experience in NC. has been so bad. My wife and i talk often of leaving CA. too but we are not sure it's a good idea. Temecula is nice but not many jobs. Most people commute to OC. or SD. for better pay. One observation i made is that Temecula is pretty dead on week days. Since everyone is so busy commuting to OC. or SD. It seems like a nice place to raise a family but the commute is the major negative. I hear schools are okay up there too. Home prices are coming down too.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:45 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Take a look at the 4S ranch community in Rancho Bernardo. Great Poway schoools, shopping, all types & sizes of housing, lots of new people so it is very easy to meet people and for your kids to make friends. Tons of activities for the family, beautiful parks, etc. You can take a look at www.4sconnect.com We moved here 3 years ago and we rented a home for 1 year and then bought we liked it so much.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM

37 posts, read 215,908 times
Default I live in Temecula now

Hi there,

We lived in San Diego until 2004, when my husband's job took us to the D.C. area. He accepted a job with a Temecula company in August 07, so we're now living in Temecula.

After living in Carlsbad, I was prepared to really dislike Temecula. But, if you can handle the suburban tract sprawl thing, it's not bad.

The housing is getting more and more affordable but one thing I've noticed is, you have to check out the tax rate in EVERY neighborhood. In more established areas it can be 1.2% (of purchase price); in newer communities like Morgan Hill it ranges from 1.7 to 1.9%. That is real money over, say, a 20 year period.

We checked out Harveston on Saturday. I would NEVER live there. It looks like a suburban ghetto...the homes look cheap and are practically stacked on top of each other. I think it will only look worse with more wear and tear. The "lake" that the other poster referred to is more of a big, man-made pond.

We looked at a home in the Redhawk area yesterday (the area we are renting in now). It's a brand new Centex home. Almost 3,000 sf, with a stainless/granite kitchen, upgraded flooring and many other "incentives". The price they quoted was about $460K.

Also went to an open house for a place we looked at in August. Four months ago, the owner listed it at $679K - it's a 2005, never-lived-in home. Yesterday, he dropped the price to $479K and told us that he was "still willing to negotiate" on the price.

I think the schools in Wolf Creek, Redhawk and Crowne Hill are all going to be very good. And, it's VERY family-oriented here. I dont think crime is an issue. We had one bad experience, but it was because my husband left the garage door open all night. His $2000 mountain bike was stolen. The police literally found it down the street the next day and returned it to us.

The police told us that most crime in Temecula is "crime of opportunity" - i.e. dont leave your purse in the car, dont leave doors wide open, etc. and it's fine.

A good site to explore for real estate is www.ziprealty.com. You can register and search homes in Temecula for your price range and size needs. I'm on it all the time!

Let me know if I can be of more help.

CT

Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM

80 posts, read 429,910 times
Check out Phoenix too. Much more affordable and still driving distance to California. I have several friends who already split from SD. to Phoenix and seem to be liking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego