Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 PM

161 posts, read 573,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
OC is probably the epicenter of materialism for the whole country. But some of San Diego is not really distinquishable.

I work in the Del Mar area. The majority of employees in my building are women under 25 (a very nice benefit I might add), working part-time, making 10-12 dollars an hour. You can literally count the bimmers and benzes and lexi in the dozens. Express, Coach bags, coach shoes. LV, gucci. Ghetto losers drop off their girlfriends in Escalades on chrome all day every day. Guess what... it's her car, not his.

I have heard the following phrase spoken by more than one person: "It used to be the 52, but I won't even go south of the 56 anymore". The middle managers live in Carlsbad or Carmel Valley and spend 25k+ to send their kids to private schools.

I have worked in this area for 10+ years and by far, this particular location is the most ridiculous display of waste and excess I've ever seen up close. I don't work for a techy place where it's a bunch of bearded genius scientists running the show. This is old-school San Diego corporate. It's all about money, cars, clothes, junk, and you had better look the part if you are going to succeed.
I agree. Del Mar (and some of the other surrounding areas) is probably the worst area in San Diego for Materialism, Shallowness, Waste/Excess, and Self Indulgence. I encounter it everytime I go surfing there. Del Mar is very similar to Newport Beach in those categories.

A good example: Recently at opening day at the races in Del Mar, three young white women (all blondes I might add) were asked by a channel 6 news reported what they thought about the races and the basically said in a nutshell that the races for them were all about the "fashion" "looking good" and "what famous person might show their face." Very typical responses from spoiled white brats who think that they are "God's Little Princesses."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 AM

317 posts, read 1,758,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
A good example: Recently at opening day at the races in Del Mar, three young white women (all blondes I might add) were asked by a channel 6 news reported what they thought about the races and the basically said in a nutshell that the races for them were all about the "fashion" "looking good" and "what famous person might show their face." Very typical responses from spoiled white brats who think that they are "God's Little Princesses."
What a joke. I know exactly what you're talking about. I did the Orange County thing for 2 years, right by Laguna/Newport Beach and I don't know how I lasted that long. It was such an uphill battle with not only fighting against people's backwards priorities and emphasis on material possessions, but their utter lack of common sense and inability to see what is going on around them. All they focus on is themselves. No wonder the divorce rate is so high in SoCal.

My big wonder is how did this area become so artificial/superficial? Is it just because the beautiful year round weather so automatically fitness/plastic surgery/and living the good life become top priorities for most (who aren't grounded and have it together)? Is this their way of 'filling voids'?

Fortunately for me, SO FAR, it seems downtown San Diego is extremely diverse and I don't notice this shallowness and mentality like the guy from that movie- American Psycho. There's a mixed bag downtown and half of the people I've met so far in the past week are transplants like me- from NJ/NY/CT, etc. It's pretty cool.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post

This pic pretty much says it all, doesn't it? Cell phone to ear. Check. Floppy hat. Check. Pair of oversized.......er....um.....arms....definitely!

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-10-2014 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,902 times
wow! lol fantastic.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its a place where the janitor wears tank tops and ray bands and a hawaiian shirt.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,502 times
I was driving through Mira Mesa in my first trip to Sd. The roads were in terrible shape and many houses looked liked they weren't maintained well, but there were Mercedes and $100k Maseratis parked in the driveways. We went west through Sorrento Valley and we saw HUGE ocean front homes with Priuses and hybrids. Now that is status related?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Spoiling kids like that is another form of child abuse imo

Its so unhealthy and creates a generation of dependent moochers who are incapable of being responsible.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:58 PM

35 posts, read 92,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
there used to be a saying here in California..."you are what you drive", you can tell alot about a person by their car and their shoes! Seriously though, there is a mixture of people in all areas here, even the well to do ones. But, make no mistake about it, they don't socialize with each other.

It depends on where you come from, when I visit my family back in upstate NY, they think I am always overdressed and can't understand buying even middle market "designer' clothes. People here will say they live in Del Mar or La Jolla, when they don't really, they live in Carmel Valley, etc. because it's 'close enough".

There is alot of status here...say young girls shopping at Nordies looking at $1500 handbags when you know they don't have a dime to their names. But OC and LA are much worse than here. I would say here wealthy people can dress down and poorer people can dress "up" so I wouldn't say it is about the clothes so much, as education, job status, home address, etc. People here are definitely "categorized" by their home address.

where is upstate NY?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks1904 View Post
also... don't wear Teva sandals.
What's wrong with wearing Teva sandals?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM

169 posts, read 859,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
This pic pretty much says it all, doesn't it? Cell phone to ear. Check. Floppy hat. Check. Pair of oversized.......er....um.....arms....definitely!
looking like that she can be as spoiled as she wanna be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego