Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 PM

317 posts, read 1,761,244 times

Advertisements

After having moved from NJ to Orange County 2 years ago I'm finally going with my 'gut' and realize I like SD much much better. I went looking at apartments yesterday and put down a deposit to hold one in Cortez Hill located at about 8'th Avenue & Beech St. I also am looking at others in the East Village area (seems a Bit sketchy in some spots) and also in Little Italy (I like the idea of walking out your door to coffee shops/restaurants, people watching). Everything seems right on par at this place in Cortez Hill I put a deposit on-- price (1080 for a 1 br=awesome), quiet, but still close to the action. My only 'gripe' is that it is about 1 mile to the heart of little italy and 1 mile to the gaslamp and .80 miles to petco field. While that certainly is not far at all, I really want to be able to walk out my doorstep and walk a few blocks to the action.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest up any ideas for other spots in the 1000-1300 range for apartments or if I did move to this Cortez Hill spot, would it be feasible to buy a bike and cruise down to the gaslamp or little italy and 'dock' my bike outside somewhere and then walk around and do my thing and then just bike it back? It seems like a pain, I don't know?

The thing I do like about cortez hill is it seems like i'd get in a good night's sleep, whereas living in the heart of downtown or little italy it might be a bit too much action going on thurs-sat and sleep could be an issue if i wanted to relax one night... Never lived in a city before but am very excited for the change from the boring suburban feel. The taxi ride is about 6 bucks each way and that is not much at all, but could add up quick if i plan on going out 2 or 3 nights a week... Any advice would be much appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM

4,546 posts, read 12,428,111 times
Congratulations Dakicka on your decision to move to Downtown San Diego. I really believe that for you at this time in your life, the city is the place to be.

Unfortunately, I can't answer many of the questions you have. Your views of the 3 areas, (Lil Italy, Cortez, & E-Vill .... hmmm 'EVill'... that could become a hip slang name for the East Village) are about right. Over the long term East Village probably has the best potential (farther away from the flight path and the freeway noise), but you are renting now, not buying for the long term. Though Cortez Hill because of the elevation does have more potential views. Anyway, back to your questions, getting a bicycle and biking and parking it in Little Italy sounds absolutely doable, and congratulations to you for considering it. Right now the City Planners are doing a Hi-Five because that's exactly what they hope people will do, and how they have wanted to develop the city. (Can a person get a DUI for bicycling while intoxicated?) There absolutely has to be plenty of bike racks in Lil Italy. I'm not quite sure about the situation immediately near the Gaslamp. As long as you actually own a car, San Diego women won't hold it against you that you've biked to get someplace.

Oh, and if the train station in Los Angeles is near anyplace worth going to, you will be able to easily get to SD's train station, and then take it up to LA for some weekend action up there.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 AM

cool feedback, sounds like a plan. i never was a fan of biking but i'm thinking i might purchase 2 bikes and just keep them on my patio with a lock and when i have a date over it could be a fun night out-- go for a quick 1 mile bike ride, dock up at little italy or gaslamp, walk around together, grab food and drinks, then bike it back. although i do wish i could just walk around everywhere without the bike- 1088.00 for a 1 br with parking and central ac/heat and a pool/jacuzzi in complex sounds like a winner.

if anyone has any other suggestions or specific apartment recommendations that might be even more suitable, please brief me! i am heading down again today to re-visit other apartments and hopefully pull the trigger by monday.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,523,043 times
Cortez Hill is a big hill and as such is a bit of an island. It is quiet from a people perspective but planes basically buzz the area. However when I lived there I liked the area a lot and you are basically 10 minutes from everything.

Personally I would choose Bankers Hill first, Cortez Hill second, Little Italy third. Hillcrest area above all of those. Gaslamp gets old quick and it is for tourists, not locals. Hillcrest and Balboa park are more of a destination than any of those areas.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:28 PM

105 posts, read 337,043 times
Cortez Hill is my favorite for all the reasons mentioned above. The only reason I don't live there now is b/c my wife changed her mind at the last minute. Also, love Little Italy, though I was unable to find a decent place for a reasonable price.

GL...keep us up to date w/your progress.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM

OK, I went down again today, still have the deposit on the spot in Cortez Hill which is located on 8'th and Beech St. I clocked it and most of everything is .60-.70 miles away. It is not bad at all, but when you think about it, it's 3 laps around a track, that walking can very well take 15 minutes... Sure, it would be an excellent jog, but going out with a date I'm not trying to get all sweaty and would love to step foot out of my door and walk around the action. I cruised by little italy again today and man it IS happening there! a few streets were closed off for some kind of farmers market and downtown show, very cool stuff- very "community" feel there and reminds me a LOT of ny/nj with neighborhood environment.

I also cruised around east village, and while most spots east of say 12'th or so do see a bit sketchy, everything in the ball park area and north slightly and just west are really trendy/hip/up & coming--- and not long-tail, i think up and coming within the next year or two. They had some crazy fiesta around j street by the ballpark and people were walking around drinking and playing games, looks real fun. seems also like a neighborhood feel, more of the urban hipsters and trendy people which is cool, although its veryyy close to all the shelters and ghetto-ness... but it's not real ghetto, just a little 'dirty'/unpleasant in adjacent nearby streets.

I thoroughly enjoyed little italy and east village with all the beautiful girls walking around. it seems like just west and north of ball park is where all the girls are as well as parts of little italy. it seems there is a lot of plain/trolley noise in little italy, and a lot of construction noise in east village. cortez hill seems the most 'family-oriented' and 'clean' of all the choices, and more of a suburban feel if you will. i like that its very clean/on top of a hill, nice bay view, but it does seem slower/more boring in the IMMEDIATE 2/3 block area, but everything isn't THAT far away- plus the park is 2 blocks away.

what do you think about a bike/scooter/etc for getting around? i'd feel like such a tool pulling up to a bar/restaurant/shop on a bike lol but it does seem more convenient if i moved up to cortez.

better yet, does anyone know of any good spots in little italy or east village that are more trendy, hip, but not overly nuts like gaslamp? i want to be slightly closer to the action without being on 5/6 ave and gaslamp madness. also any with pools? what i liked about the place i deposited on is that they have 2 hot tubs and a pool and bbq grills, not many have that in DT it seems....

thanks for your guidance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego