Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 PM

102 posts, read 472,694 times

Advertisements

I know there's a height limit on the buildings in downtown but why can't the buildings that are father away from the airport can't be bigger, it's not like the airplanes come in on the south side of downtown San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
Well, there is also the coastal height limitation set by the state Coastal Commission. There's no way, and no political support to overturn that.

In other parts of the city, in all probability the higher costs of constructing taller buildings probably outweighs the lower land costs that exist away from Downtown and the coast. The laws of economics probably exert the greater pressure restricting height - fire suppression, earthquake resistance, elevator and utility shafts eating up rentable space, etc. And then of course, many existing areas of the city would be appalled to have a 40 story building on the edge of their neighborhood of single family homes. The Golden Triangle is probably the only place where the height limit really impinges in a commercial area, and the Triangle may have issues from the air strip at Miramar that we don't know about.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:12 AM

936 posts, read 3,192,219 times
the honest truth, i think the airport and the coast are the two BIGGEST excuses our conservative local government uses not to have buildings above 500 feet, and i think it makes for bad business, not just in realist terms, but also on our local tourism sector. i believe it has most to do with tradition. conservatives, although a dwindling faction, hate the big city feel and have been VERY successful in keeping san diego a big city with a small town charm to it

Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 AM

78 posts, read 193,606 times
Why can't they juz add 100 feet more?? Or 700ft buildings away from where the airplane comes down... If u look and watch the planes, it isn't even close to hitting the one America plaza if it were even maybe 800ft, the ****in FAA is wack, they prolly don't want San Diego to hav nice tall buildings, someone needs to juz go ahead and build one over 500 but at the most 800ft... Only away from the planes path tho and maybe they will prove that it's ok for buildings close to the Coronado bay bridge to be built

Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 AM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
As I've learned more about this issue, outside of the airport glide path, I really believe it's the Fire Department that has prevented taller buildings from being built. The cost for the specialized equipment to fight fires at elevation has made it difficult to justify building higher than 500 feet.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:08 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,578,053 times
This has already been asked about 3 times on this form!All you have to do is google DTWN San Diego building height and it will show up.Shhessh.Do some research why don't you.

List of tallest buildings in San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-18-2009, 03:26 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,468,305 times
I'm in downtown Diego 2-3 nights a month for business on average. I love the downtown district. Very Goldilocks - not to big not to small, just right. The current high rises give the area that "downtown" feel, but the scale is more apporachable. I think its one of the finest urban core districts in america.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,520 times
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do we care how tall the buildings are downtown? Is it one of these "SD is so small-town, we don't even have sky scrapers!" threads? God knows there aren't enough of those on this board.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,534 times
Yeah, but it would give San Diego a more mature look. Our smaller buildings look wimpy. Ever been to a city that has massive skyscrapers? Well I have, and it's very impressive, it gives you that feeling that you are in a real big city, and it just feels cool.

I do believe our local "Small town minded" conservative government is trying desperately to keep SD from becoming like an LA or other big cities because we are mainly a tourist town, and it would hurt our image, this includes restricting buildings from becoming too tall, because it blocks ocean views from peoples million dollar condo's and hurts property values . I do wish SD would grow up for once, and stop being so damn uptight about everything and just build some skyscrapers once in for all! I understand the airport is right there, but come on!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:35 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I do wish SD would grow up for once, and stop being so damn uptight about everything and just build some skyscrapers once in for all! I understand the airport is right there, but come on!
"San Diego" doesn't build skyscrapers. Developers build them. There are places in the county that could accomodate them, i.e. UTC. But then, why no skyscrapers there either?

Because San Diego is not a large enough commercial center to warrant them. 90% of the tall buildings in Downtown San Diego are RESIDENTIAL. Skyscrapers, by and large, are office towers.

Downtown San Diego does not have enough office space demand for developers to build. Skyscrapers don't get built because they look cool. They get built as a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego