Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 AM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times

Advertisements

They check your ID at the Az-CA border?? That is a first. I've driven across the Eastern states and the mid states of the US without ever having to stop at the state lines.

I am moving to SD from Canada so I'm not too familiar how it's like in California, but are there any other state lines where they stop cars and check for ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
This checkpoint is inside CA and yes they can ask you for ID. If your friend is Illegal you can be in a batch of trouble if you are driving the car.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
They check your ID at the Az-CA border?? That is a first. I've driven across the Eastern states and the mid states of the US without ever having to stop at the state lines.

I am moving to SD from Canada so I'm not too familiar how it's like in California, but are there any other state lines where they stop cars and check for ID?
Mainly the check points have to do with entering from the border state, like memtioned: AZ to Ca and this is for very good reasons.

Blub, I have never heard anyone mention it is illegal. Why would it be? I don't know this for a fact, I am just surprised to hear it.

Nita

Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 AM

12 posts, read 38,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Blub, I have never heard anyone mention it is illegal. Why would it be? I don't know this for a fact, I am just surprised to hear it.
It differs by state, and I don't know what AZ has a right to do, but in CA they have to have probable cause to be entitled to see an ID from a non-driving passenger in a vehicle. There's case law to that effect. 'course, I'd think twice about saying no because the officer might very well have probable cause (somebody meeting the description of your passenger might be wanted, or whatever). If they have other evidence of wrongdoing, then they are entitled to see your ID (including seat-belt laws).

Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blub View Post
It differs by state, and I don't know what AZ has a right to do, but in CA they have to have probable cause to be entitled to see an ID from a non-driving passenger in a vehicle. There's case law to that effect. 'course, I'd think twice about saying no because the officer might very well have probable cause (somebody meeting the description of your passenger might be wanted, or whatever). If they have other evidence of wrongdoing, then they are entitled to see your ID (including seat-belt laws).
Thanks for the input, I did know an officer can't require proof without reason but I didn't know about the border. Police checks are a bit different I thought?
With all the illegals entering from various locations, if proof isn't required I think it should be. That is my opinion, I don't know what the law is.

Nita

Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
My husband and I passed through the checkpoint in early May and we not stopped; just waved through. I should note, however, that we're both Caucasian.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I wouldn't go anywhere without a photo id. What would happen if there was an accident?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:40 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
You are not crossing an international border. There is no federal or state law requiring you to carry identification in this country. You cannot be arrested simply for not having ID.

Still, just like a cell phone and a 20 dollar bill, traveling with a photo ID is highly recommended ;-)

Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 PM

17 posts, read 198,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You are not crossing an international border. There is no federal or state law requiring you to carry identification in this country. You cannot be arrested simply for not having ID.
Nobody said anything about being arrested. They can still ask for your ID if they have probable cause. If you're a US Citizen, you don't need to carry any ID. If you're not but here legally, in many cases you do. It's pretty universal in all countries - when I travel I must present ID (natives usually do not).

Profiling happens for Hispanics and Asians. I've never had any issues by declaring that I'm a citizen (I am), but several other people have definitely had trouble on multiple occasions. Don't risk it without an ID. This is more important for that stretch of the 8 that gets real close to the US-Mexico border. They watch that area more than the AZ-CA border by far.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 PM

69 posts, read 184,287 times
leaving california you don't get stopped at all just coming back to california on the 15 or 10 they just ask if you have any fruit on you that's what I know from when I've gone road tripping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego