Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:23 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times

Advertisements

Hey

I want to hear from people who actually live in Oceanside instead of those who have visited OC and saw a few Mexicans and Blacks and got scared.

I'm thinking of moving up there for a job. Right now I live in North Park and I don't feel like driving 50mins there and back everyday.

Everyone says OC is ghetto but there's a few good neighbourhoods. People said the same thing about North Park but I feel perfectly safe here. I want to know what OC is really like. I'm very street smart coming from London, UK. My job is off College Blvd. I'm only looking to live there for 6 months to a year and would like a quiet neighbourhood with a 1 bedroom apartment around $800. Is that possible?

I've only been living in SD for a couple of years and I do worry about the fires that happen more up that way or is that not true?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 PM

76 posts, read 307,634 times
I've only lived in O'side for less than a year. I, too, heard the scare tactics. Honestly, I think Oceanside is no better or worse than most cities of this size. I feel very safe. Yes, there are areas that I wouldn't live in, and I don't. I do live north of the 76 - an area many said to avoid. But "north of the 76" is a broad area. We live in a development closer to the 5, above the airport. Very quiet, family, bedroom community. We have the cool ocean breezes and a very nice view out our backyard. I have no regrets.

Do your research and you will be just fine!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:46 PM

434 posts, read 988,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Hey

I want to hear from people who actually live in Oceanside instead of those who have visited OC and saw a few Mexicans and Blacks and got scared.

I'm thinking of moving up there for a job. Right now I live in North Park and I don't feel like driving 50mins there and back everyday.

Everyone says OC is ghetto but there's a few good neighbourhoods. People said the same thing about North Park but I feel perfectly safe here. I want to know what OC is really like. I'm very street smart coming from London, UK. My job is off College Blvd. I'm only looking to live there for 6 months to a year and would like a quiet neighbourhood with a 1 bedroom apartment around $800. Is that possible?

I've only been living in SD for a couple of years and I do worry about the fires that happen more up that way or is that not true?

Thanks in advance
Orange County is ghetto? A few parts. Locals tip: Shorthand for Oceanside is O'side. I've never heard or read "OC" - only for San Clemente and points north.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
Orange County is ghetto? A few parts. Locals tip: Shorthand for Oceanside is O'side. I've never heard or read "OC" - only for San Clemente and points north.
Yeah I made a mistake. It happens. I meant OS. Do you have anything else that's a bit more important to say? Anything that's going to help answer my post??

Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne1207 View Post
I've only lived in O'side for less than a year. I, too, heard the scare tactics. Honestly, I think Oceanside is no better or worse than most cities of this size. I feel very safe. Yes, there are areas that I wouldn't live in, and I don't. I do live north of the 76 - an area many said to avoid. But "north of the 76" is a broad area. We live in a development closer to the 5, above the airport. Very quiet, family, bedroom community. We have the cool ocean breezes and a very nice view out our backyard. I have no regrets.

Do your research and you will be just fine!

Thank you so much. Also I think that the surrounding areas like Carlsbad make "O'side" look kinda bad.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:09 PM

434 posts, read 988,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Yeah I made a mistake. It happens. I meant OS. Do you have anything else that's a bit more important to say? Anything that's going to help answer my post??
Naw, just cheapshots.

Off top of my head, I believe there is a nice apt complex in Rancho del Oro, which is behind (to the side of?) College.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:49 PM

256 posts, read 736,531 times
My Mother rented an apartment in Oceanside for a brief time. The manager came in with a key and stold a life time of jewerly from her. The police are too busy to even care. They did a terrible job of investigating and really were remiss.
I hired a P.I. and found out alot about the vicinity she was in. It was drug and gang infested.
I only have experience with area of Oceanside. But, I would never ever live there.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:50 PM

256 posts, read 736,531 times
This apartment was near College.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 AM

384 posts, read 980,988 times
I'm living in southern Oceanside, near Lake and Skyhaven, and it's perfectly safe. Before this I was living in a small condo in ritzy Santaluz (in Oceanside we have a big house with a pool), and while it was perfectly clean and pretty and sterile on the outside, they had a fair bit of crime, there, too. I would hear every few month about a neighbor's car getting broken into, or someone's house getting broken into. Where I live in Oceanside I have heard of similar crimes in my neighborhood at about the same rate. If you go up College to the Rancho del Oro area it's very nice. This is the area between Oceanside Blvd. and Mesa. I used to live in Hillcrest, too, so I'm familiar with North Park. You'll be fine here.
Janine

Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janineg View Post
I'm living in southern Oceanside, near Lake and Skyhaven, and it's perfectly safe. Before this I was living in a small condo in ritzy Santaluz (in Oceanside we have a big house with a pool), and while it was perfectly clean and pretty and sterile on the outside, they had a fair bit of crime, there, too. I would hear every few month about a neighbor's car getting broken into, or someone's house getting broken into. Where I live in Oceanside I have heard of similar crimes in my neighborhood at about the same rate. If you go up College to the Rancho del Oro area it's very nice. This is the area between Oceanside Blvd. and Mesa. I used to live in Hillcrest, too, so I'm familiar with North Park. You'll be fine here.
Janine

Hey thanks, that really helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego