Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 11:50 PM

213 posts, read 823,234 times

Advertisements

My 21st birthday is in a matter of hours, any cool bars/dive bars/clubs/hangouts I should scope out now that I'm of age?

Also, I'm planning on having a birthday celebration at Dave & Buster's this weekend. Since my new driver's license hasn't come in yet, I called and asked if they accept a U.S. passport/card as a valid form of I.D. for alcohol purchase and they said 'yes'. Has anyone here personally used one at D&B's or any other place (if so, which ones accepted you)? I know some places won't allow it since passports don't have physical attributes listed like a license, and quite a handful of places don't accept expired licenses either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
What kind of scene do you like? The Gaslamp is filled with fancy, high-end clubs and are pretty cool to check out if you don't mind dropping a little cash. Pacific Beach has a lot of laid-back, casual bars with a younger, more college oriented scene. North Park/South Park have some pretty cool, more urban bars with a huge variety of beers such as Toronado's and Hamilton's.

You should be fine with a passport, I have yet to see a place that didn't accept one. Most places will not accept an expired DL either.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM

181 posts, read 466,100 times
Sav858 has hit the nail on the head when it comes to area bars. You could check out U-51 if you are up here in North Park, Many people seem to like that "Dive Bar" Check out Yelp.com to see other's reviews of the area. There is a bar (I found on Yelp) it is called SYRAH. it is downtown in the gaslamp, more of a funky "Alice in wonderland" inspired bar... careful though, they have a hidden entrance lol and you can look a fool trying to find it! LOL it is all part of their charm though!

PB has a ton of bars that will be packed if you just walk up and down Mission BLVD, you are sure to have an easy time getting from place to place...

REMEMBER TO TAKE A CAB OR HAS A DESIGNATED DRIVER!!! You will definatley be in NO condition to drive!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What kind of scene do you like? The Gaslamp is filled with fancy, high-end clubs and are pretty cool to check out if you don't mind dropping a little cash. Pacific Beach has a lot of laid-back, casual bars with a younger, more college oriented scene. North Park/South Park have some pretty cool, more urban bars with a huge variety of beers such as Toronado's and Hamilton's.

You should be fine with a passport, I have yet to see a place that didn't accept one. Most places will not accept an expired DL either.
Not sure what kind of scene I dig since I haven't yet experienced anything, but I can see myself hanging out regularly at a dive bar in my usual t-shirt and jeans attire. And if anything, I'll go to clubs for the sole purpose of dancing like a fool with my friends. That's my kind of thing.

I forgot to mention that I live all the way up in the Escondido/San Marcos area. I heard Pennylane's in SM is a cool little place to hang, as well as Yogi's in Cardiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
Sav858 has hit the nail on the head when it comes to area bars. You could check out U-51 if you are up here in North Park, Many people seem to like that "Dive Bar" Check out Yelp.com to see other's reviews of the area. There is a bar (I found on Yelp) it is called SYRAH. it is downtown in the gaslamp, more of a funky "Alice in wonderland" inspired bar... careful though, they have a hidden entrance lol and you can look a fool trying to find it! LOL it is all part of their charm though!

PB has a ton of bars that will be packed if you just walk up and down Mission BLVD, you are sure to have an easy time getting from place to place...

REMEMBER TO TAKE A CAB OR HAS A DESIGNATED DRIVER!!! You will definatley be in NO condition to drive!
Ah, Yelp.com, I almost forgot about that site! Definitely got a designated driver, one of my friends doesn't mind driving most of the time and only drinks once in a blue moon. He will be the one driving a friend and I to D&B's this weekend for my birthday celebration dinner with the rest of our posse.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM

181 posts, read 466,100 times
Check into getting a cheapo hotel. When we visited SD to find a place to live we stayed at Howard Johnson on ROSECRANS, and it was like 50 bucks. Definatley CLEAN rooms, and since you will just be passing out there at the end of the night, you don't need all the extra anemities and frills. (DO NOT STAY AT howard johnson in hotel circle. most of hotel circle is filled with bed bugs. EW. Bedbugregistry.com)

Sounds like you would be at home in Ocean Beach or even check out Pacific Beach. PB has kinda a lot of frat boy muscle head style people though. Thats where the ladies are at as well. I would skip out on the gaslamp downtown scene. North park has a lot of dive bars, but the neighborhood is a bit sketchy and you won't be able to walk to them all. I live in North Park and like it, but I don't think it is 21st birthday material. It's gotta be a good one!

I like Dave and Busters... go to their website, if they have a special club you can join online, you might even get some free play money! Also... there food isn't really great, so I would go eat somewhere before you go there and just get an appetizer. We did the eat and Play thing there and the food was. OK. and I like bar food, and am pretty no frills, so that says something

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and have a great time!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM

^ Sounds good, thanks for the suggestions! And thank you for the birthday wishes

Luckily my new stripe-free driver's license just came in, so it looks like I'll be good to go for purchasing alcohol anywhere now. The local 711 near my house still took my expired license so I bought my first case of beer a couple days ago. Earlier tonight, I stopped by BevMo to buy a nice pint mug and became a club member. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego