Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 PM

48 posts, read 147,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Impractical...and risky business in any case.

As I'm sure you well know, what San Diego considers a 'Condo' is really nothing more than a building that used to be an apartment, got granite counter tops, paint and appliances, and is being sold. But not to be fooled - it's an apartment. The condo conversion craze has finally ended with Bernardo Hills/Villa Taviana, but the damage has been done. So many subpar condo complexes it's silly. If the apartment complex got sold for condo conversion, not only would I get first purchase rights, but if I opted not to purchase, I would get cash to relocate. A lot less risky. Also, renting a condo/townhome gives you little-to-no guarantees as far as how your neighbors choose to act. If they have a bunch of emos blasting punk music at all hours you really have little recourse but to call the cops until it stops - if the cops bother to respond at all.

Townhomes in San Diego are severely overpriced - much more than houses.

Detached homes are nice, but then you run the risk of the owner not having paid the mortgage. Last thing I need is to get settled in only to get a foreclosure notice on the door. Even in the affluent areas it's still a risk, not even considering the fact that most want what effectively amounts to the full mortage payment in order to take the rental. I'd do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Additionally, every single one wants a full month's worth as a deposit PLUS the first month's rent. Keep in mind also that you're stuck with their choice of decor, talking about furniture.

The other standard things - dedicated maintenance staff, electronic payments, etc - are other reasons why I simply cannot bring myself to rent anything other than a good old apartment.
Im gonna suggest what Sassberto mentioned. As I was in the same shoes you were in 2005. I agree with you on the condo conversion and worrying about renting from someone and them going into foreclosure. I learned most good apartments as least in N.C are the same prices if not more than Townhouses/houses that offer alot more sq ft and ammenties. Craigslist is your friend use it to look around. Apartments are cool starting out but once you get into a Townhouse/house it's a different ball game. After I exprienced the difference unless I have no choice I will never opt for an apartment again. You have more chances of encountering bad neighboors in apartments. The first house I moved into the owner came back after my 12 month lease was up, luckly I was going back to Iraq. So I understand your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:01 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Pinnacle won't work, it's right next to a big private school.
I can probably deal with a private school - a lot more standards and laws for the students to abide by instead of walking around with skin tight jeans sagged down to their knees and 3 inch rings in their ear lobes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego