Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 27,869 times

Advertisements

As someone who is considering moving to SD from NYC, I was wondering how welcome atheists, Jews, and Muslims are.

I believe San Diego has a reputation as a very conservative, religious city. Specifically, I've been told that it's all about mega-churches and evangelical Christianity out there. It's God's way or the highway, so to speak.

Is there separation of church and state in the public schools, for example? Or will my children be taught that Adam and Eve lived with the dinosaurs?

No offense intended to any fundamentalist Christian fantasists who may read this post.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
A lot of Jesus's do live in SD, just remember the J makes an "H" sound here.

Whoever told you that stuff is exaggerating and full of it, SD is more conservative than SF and LA but but few cities aren't. The county is moderately conservative overall imo, the city itself is moderate to liberal for the most part. If you're a flaming, far left liberal then SD might seem too conservative but to most people it's pretty moderate overall. North County inland and East County suburbs tend to be the most religious and conservative.

SD is diverse and has all religions, you'll be fine with whatever you are, no one here really cares.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
You are not alone ---> San Diego Coalition of Reason | United Cor

Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM

231 posts, read 640,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

SD is diverse and has all religions, you'll be fine with whatever you are, no one here really cares.
Exactly.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,447 times
That is not really true. you will see a lot more religious crazies in east county than you will closer to the city but even if you live in an religoius area nobody really cares about what you believe in anyway.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny2sdca View Post
Specifically, I've been told that it's all about mega-churches and evangelical Christianity out there. It's God's way or the highway, so to speak.
I am *really* curious where you got that idea. I literally had to read that twice and wonder if you were kidding! It's not like that at ALL here. For the most part, nobody cares what you do with your spirituality (or sexuality, for that matter). It's a very "live and let live" kind of place

Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
My husband and I are atheists and have never encountered any issues/threats/interactions out here. Of course, we don't go around yelling out our disdain for religion--but we've never had anyone inquire "what church we go to" or any nonsense like that. We're more libertarians than far-left liberals, though (we no likey taxes ).

I do have an acquaintance who lives here and complains all the time how conservative the city is... but she is waaaaay left "thinks we all should live in an commune" liberal.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:41 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,447 times
The actual city of San Diego, while probably more conservative than most large cities, still leans liberal. Jerry Sanders is a republican but Obama won the city (and county for that matter) by several points. And I believe democrats do statistically outnumber republicans in the city.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny2sdca View Post
As someone who is considering moving to SD from NYC, I was wondering how welcome atheists, Jews, and Muslims are.

I believe San Diego has a reputation as a very conservative, religious city. Specifically, I've been told that it's all about mega-churches and evangelical Christianity out there. It's God's way or the highway, so to speak.

Is there separation of church and state in the public schools, for example? Or will my children be taught that Adam and Eve lived with the dinosaurs?

No offense intended to any fundamentalist Christian fantasists who may read this post.

Thanks.
While you'd be OK in San Diego, I wouldn't recommend venturing into South Orange County or Riverside County. You throw a rock there and hit 3 megachurches.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 AM

16 posts, read 27,869 times
This was good information. Thanks. To be clear, however.... I do not have disdain for religion.

I just think that, in the history of human events, more people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. Also, religion breeds hatred and mistrust (e.g., "my god is better than your god").

Ultimately, I think that adults who choose to believe in magic and follow self-appointed prophets have joined a special cult of brainwashed drones.

Oh, wait... that is disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego