Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM

125 posts, read 292,041 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm hoping to move to the San Deigo area at the end of this year. Do you think I could find a one or two bedroom apartment/house to rent for around $800/month? I would like to stay around $800 but would go up to $1000 if needed. I'd like a fairly safe area as well.

About me: I'm a 30 year old woman, would like to spend some time at the beach, and keep physically active and do some hiking as well. No kids... just a couple of lazy cats. Provided I can find a job, I will be working in the IT field.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,579,551 times
Most IT skills aren't in big demand right now. Try finding a job first. If you get a decent IT job in San Diego, we have a large supply of nice apartments.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
For $800-1000 in a relatively safe area you're looking at a studio or one bedroom, even then that is on the low end. A 2br at that price will put you in less desirable areas.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:47 PM

125 posts, read 292,041 times
Sorry. I guess I meant to ask... What areas would you recommend that are fairly safe, where I might be able to find an apartment between $800-$1000. I probably could go up to $1400, but I'd rather not.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Check out this previous thread, gives a general breakdown of the region.
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...reater-sd.html

Maybe just do a quick search on some of the nicer, quieter neighborhoods and see if they have apts in your range.

SD is really big, I'm more familiar with the central area. I live in Pacific Beach, it's safe aside from some of the drunks around here and you can find places to rent in that range. Also maybe Bay Park, Ocean Beach south of Newport Ave, North Park, South Park, parts of University Heights, Hillcrest. A lot of North County is safe as well except for some areas off the SR-78 corridor.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,875 times
The reality is unless you're willing to slum it or rent a room in a house with room mates then you're going to have trouble finding a place for $800 and even if you do it won't be any where near the beach. Also there are a lot of unemployed IT people right now so either have a job before you move or figure in that you will be looking for a job for several months.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 16,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
Hi. I'm hoping to move to the San Deigo area at the end of this year. Do you think I could find a one or two bedroom apartment/house to rent for around $800/month? I would like to stay around $800 but would go up to $1000 if needed. I'd like a fairly safe area as well.

About me: I'm a 30 year old woman, would like to spend some time at the beach, and keep physically active and do some hiking as well. No kids... just a couple of lazy cats. Provided I can find a job, I will be working in the IT field.

Thanks!
HA! Good luck with that...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,035,441 times
I live in North Park, alone, as a single female. I spend nearly every day in summer at the beach (weekdays after work, weekends all day, as long as the water's warm). I also hike and camp frequently, including great urban hikes like Florida Canyon and the pedestrian bridges in Hillcrest. I feel perfectly safe in my neighborhood, I walk almost everywhere or ride my bike, even at night.

I live in a small 1-bedroom, built in the 1920's, nice details, wood floors, NOT a dump... And I pay $825 a month.

Point being, it's possible. There's a ton of places in your price range, if you don't mind an older building/neighborhood. Some of us even prefer them, as they have much more character than most of the monstrosities built from the 80's on, and tend to be in much smaller, more intimate complexes where you know your neighbors.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,073,040 times
I agree-north park,normal heights areas you can find older character buildings. but they are very urban areas-so it depends on what type of area OP is looking for. densely populated,or a little bit more space?
If OP wants to share a place with a roomate,check encinitas,carmel valley,la jolla and clairemont. One could find a 3/2 house in clairemont on a cul de sac with yard,for example,for $1600-if you look around for awhile-and you could just have one roomate and an office,for that 800.

However,if you want your own place,in a safe,quiet area,north park (you have to look;some areas are better than others) and normal heights are probably your best bets. As mentioned,you can find built-ins,wood floors,usually cat friendly (when i lived in normal heights,everyone had at least on cat,it seemed!),and lots of cafes,plus a few parks.

I really cannot think of any other places that you would enjoy,for that price range.
Oh,and while the economy today is rough,San Diego has ALWAYS been known for it's low wages relative to cost of living. It's just that way here-and always has been. It's just even harder to find that job with the lower wages here than previously.

Definitely look for work before moving,I agree.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I live in North Park, alone, as a single female. I spend nearly every day in summer at the beach (weekdays after work, weekends all day, as long as the water's warm). I also hike and camp frequently, including great urban hikes like Florida Canyon and the pedestrian bridges in Hillcrest. I feel perfectly safe in my neighborhood, I walk almost everywhere or ride my bike, even at night.

I live in a small 1-bedroom, built in the 1920's, nice details, wood floors, NOT a dump... And I pay $825 a month.

Point being, it's possible. There's a ton of places in your price range, if you don't mind an older building/neighborhood. Some of us even prefer them, as they have much more character than most of the monstrosities built from the 80's on, and tend to be in much smaller, more intimate complexes where you know your neighbors.
I live in the Bay Area, which generally has the same or higher rents than SD, and I've had a similar experience as you. I live in an older building from the 1920s. It has no amenities but makes up for it in character and quality construction (no paper thin walls where I hear my neighbors!). The location for me is great because I can walk to work. I pay $850 for my studio, which is reasonable for here.

The main thing is to stay away from the large apartment complexes and newer buildings (often, newer and larger go hand in hand). They are usually not a good deal. Sometimes they will offer you a month free to get you in the door when the rental market is down....but as soon as the market picks up, they jack up the rents mercilessly. I have noticed this trend with large "cookie cutter" complexes in several metro areas where I've lived.

Take your time looking for a place. And it helps to have money saved, so you don't make bad decisions out of haste or desperation. $5k would be a bare minimum. But 10K would or more would be a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego