Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times

Advertisements

Pretty much anywhere in SD on the beach is gonna be expensive, that's why so many people live here, to be close to the surf. But you should really check out Solana Beach, Cardiff and Leucadia. I'd live in any of those places hands down over Oceanside. Those places are a lot less known to new people coming out to SD. Newbies all hear about PB, MB, La Jolla, OB.

There are plenty of military around Miramar/Mira Mesa as well as PB. To be able to afford the beach, a lot of people have roommates. I think PB passed a mini dorm law because of the prevalence of these types of situations: San Diego mini-dorm law passes City Council - News (http://media.www.sdcitytimes.com/media/storage/paper1083/news/2007/12/11/News/San-Diego.MiniDorm.Law.Passes.City.Council-3144242.shtml - broken link)

Not really sure about how accessible the beaches are near Camp Pendleton. I know that north of that area is arguably one of the best California surf spots, Trestles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 PM

19 posts, read 99,453 times
djxpress, I just want to say you have been most helpful in your replies. Thank you for all your help with this local inside secrets.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,224 times
You might want to consider Oceanside based on your price range. There are some bad parts of Oceanside and some really good areas. Generally speaking, the north part of Oceanside has some nice newer areas to consider.

Feel free to check out my website for valuable relocation information. [url]www.SanDiegoMlsSite.com[/url]

Sincerely,

Jeff Kayle

Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 PM

19 posts, read 99,453 times
jkayle2000, thank you for your comments. I hear that same mixed feeling about Oceanside in many threads, so I will take you under advisement to not rule out Oceanside all together rather going with the motto, "Proceed with Caution."

Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Can someone please tell me what is so bad about Oceanside? We were considering a few 55+ communities called Rancho Calavera and Emerald Village. They are about six miles East of the beach and directly above Carlsbad. Can anyone give me information on those areas?

Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
The only affordable coastal areas west of the I5 are basically affordable for a reason (I.E. there is something wrong with them). If you don't mind bad local schools, large populations of illegals, and local gang problems then you can find affordable coastal living in Imperial beach and parts of Oceanside.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Can someone please tell me what is so bad about Oceanside? We were considering a few 55+ communities called Rancho Calavera and Emerald Village. They are about six miles East of the beach and directly above Carlsbad. Can anyone give me information on those areas?
In general it just is a poorer area with bad schools and a lot of working class parents who don't seem to care if their kids are running around at 3am using drugs and acting like a thug. There is a relatively high illegal alien population (which brings in a whole host of negative issues for a community) and the area is generally run down. Now, I don't know anything specific about Rancho Calavera or Emerald Village so maybe they're islands of niceness in a sea of yuck but in general the area isn't the nicest.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 30,083 times
Oh gosh, I thought you meant Veteranarian!!!! Then I read your post. I just spent two days looking for a place to live but my parameters were near University Center also known as UTC. There are some really nice places near Pendleton that were for military only. I found the rents to be ranging from $1100 to $1500 for a one or two bed. I ended up with a DARLING apartment that I would call more like a "cottage" or guest house. 1 bed, fully furnished in La Jolla, for $1500. Has a great patio and was o.k. with my two cocker spaniels.

Most places I looked at wanted "dog rent" and it varies on how much they charged. In the $1100 to $1300 range you have a lot of choice. I looked at: Del Mar, Solano Beach, La Jolla, Rancho Penasquitos/Poway, and a couple in No. San Diego, Carmel Valley I also considered but didn't look at anything. My boss is in a 2 bed in Del Mar at a really nice property for $1700 unfurnished.

Tons of apartments/condos. I didn't find any "houses" in that price range but I was looking in a specific area. I think you could find such a thing in San diego proper or inland. Put a post on craigslist under "apts wanted". That is how I found a couple of places.

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn in Rancho Penasquitos/Poway for one night. Would recommmend it. Only $73.00 total, they were o.k. with the two dogs - no extra charge. Very clean, staff super nice and they have an o.k. to so.so breakfast, but hey it was free! (or included in the price). It wasn't that far from where I looked. You really need to come down and stay to look around.

I too just moved down from Sac!
Good luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
Emerald Lake Village quiet, beautiful amenities, spacious, perfect weather varies about 10 degrees all year, gated community, Cape Code feel, very low HOA dues because you are not renting--you own the property under your house, cathedral ceilings, walk in closets, large kitchens, giant clubhouse for big functions-no rent, great restaurants, very friendly people in North County. Great community spirit, local festivals, good shopping centers all around. Never heard of any problem with crime at all. Minutes from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego