Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,767 times

Advertisements

Interesting, I was looking on youtube today and saw this link regarding the whole controversy at UCSD.

YouTube - UCSD Compton Cookout Event / DVD Release Party

Do you think this is real? If it is, how come the media hasn't said anything about it? Did this guy jump on the bandwagon after the fact? What's going on here?

Edit: I did a Google search and it says that this guy is an actor? So why would he put this out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 05:23 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Do you think this is real? If it is, how come the media hasn't said anything about it? Did this guy jump on the bandwagon after the fact? What's going on here?
Performer: Off-campus party not offensive - SignOnSanDiego.com

People want to protest and scream about racism and this doesn't help that cause, so it's ignored.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,767 times
Wow. That's bad...and it's kind of frustrating. Now I know you can't trust everything you see on the 10 o'clock news, but this part of the story has been completely ignored. No wonder Jesse and Al weren't there.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,094 times
That dude's funny, but ain't that the truth. He tells it like it is, but once the noose incident occurred, I think that just intensified the situation and made everything that much worse. The media does like to stir things up and like to paint there own picture to what they think is correct.

But like I said before, if a bunch of black students threw the CPT cookout party by themselves, nobody would care. People make fun of there race all the time, it's no big deal, but maybe the students should of waited to have this party on another month, because of the timing, and the fact that it was mainly a white fraternity that decided to throw it.

We definitely need some clarification from both sides of the isle, and after watching that video, it shows me that the dude just wanted to have a good time and make fun of ghettoism. I personally feel that it's really hard for white people to make fun of other races of people without being judged, it's not fair in a sense, but it's just the way it is, and that will never change. Mexicans and Blacks can clown on each other all day long, and no one will question them because the majority of us come from the same poor neighborhoods, and know what it's like to be ghetto.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,798 times
I believe I read about this man in the Union Tribune some days ago. I thought he was part of the Koala broadcast that followed the Compton Cookout and resulted in student media funds being frozen. Therefore this man was not ignored if I read about it in the daily paper.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:29 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
If these kids are that upset over this the real World is gonna be a tough go.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:52 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,665 times
i don't know, i think people need to lighten up sometimes.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,577,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
i don't know, i think people need to lighten up sometimes.
Lighten up?A noose was hung.
I had no problems with any of the events that happened at UCSD until that happened.
You shouldn't be "lightening up" when something that symbolic is done
And it seems like the Administration up there just doesn't know how or doesn't care or how to handle these events

I had lots of respect for UCSD but after all this,I'm starting to look at USD as a "better" school.(I'm a big SDSU fan,and I hate USD but I hate racist people more)

Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
The people who think that Blacks should "lighten up" regarding these types of incidents would never say the same thing if someone were tormenting their mother, sister, brother, children, etc.

If a bunch of college kids (frat boys or whatever) had used a threatening symbol that meant that they were going to rape your daughter on campous, you would absolutely have a problem. The same type of hostility is being directed towards the small Black population on the UCSD campus with the noose and the Compton Cookout party. These symbols/actions are direct threats with a specific purpose to intimidate.

I experienced my own bouts with racism in college, none of which rose to this level but it was damaging all the same. When you realize that these same "kids" will one day be able to decide who to hire, whether or not a business gets a loan, setting public policy, etc. - you realize that these sentiments are not "isolated" incidents but will color how they treat Black people in their professional lives.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
The whole thing was funny and some people just have massive chips on their shoulders and, unfortunately the professional race baiters and reverse racists have now jumped into this act. Frats throw red neck and white trash parties, toga parties, and all sorts of themed parties and yet the race baiters and professional racists are only jumping on this one largely because they need to create drama out of nothing. Screw them and their politics of hate and let the kids keep having parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego