Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 PM

141 posts, read 287,159 times

Advertisements

OK.........can I ask. How then does Mcdonalds stay in business if you can't survive on 8.00 bucks an hour.....................come back to earth man.

First off it depends on how old you are and your mentality. There are people on this posting who should probably think about moving out of SD. They think that because they lost there 40k a year job that no one else can make it in SD.
What they need understand is that 40k a year job is gone forever so waiting around on unemployment is not the answer.

You will not be able to live on your own, you will need to find a cheap room. Check out El Cajon, and Imperial Beach.
If you have a valid Drivers License then look for driving jobs, yes they pay crap but, they pay crap all over.
Not all fast food is dominated by Hispanics.

This is the way I see it, nothing is going to change anytime soon. The job market is crappy all over. It is not going to change. Unemployment in 1982 was around 10%. I was in High School in SD and had a job. I got a job and went to college when unemployment was 8.5%. The problem with fast food right is they tend not to offer full time jobs because they want a bunch of part timers. If you have good looks and you are sociable then you might find a job in PB or Gas Lamp working in food service. Can you get Financial Aid, if so then pick the Community College and get going on that.

What allot of us don't realize is there are no opportunities anywhere for non college grads. The younger ones want to come to SD and Cali and start a life. The older ones are in for a hell of ride if they can't live on 10.00 bucks an hour.

It is really dependent on you, SD is not much better or worse than anywhere else. There are places in Paradise that would be easier to go to college and work but I am not telling everyone where they are.

If you can handle the complexities of Orange County then you would have a easier time finding a job. But you will need to drive, you will need to learn the big city very quickly living in Orange County.

I have heard stories from friends stating that there kid has been looking for a job for 8 months and can't find one.

I have heard of people having 2 jobs, and could get a third if they wanted.

What is lame about all this is it seems like San Diego might be out of reach for a long time for many people wanting to move here.

I wonder who is to blame? Maybe he is a TEXAN.

If you are very frugal and strong willed then you can make it happen. Heck try the SD JOB CORP. I say the worst ghetto in SD is not all that bad.
A room in the ghetto in any town runs 400.00 bucks. You can get a room In SD for 400.00 bucks. Pay is 8.00 to 10.00 an hour. Pay in Screwballville middle america is 7.25 and the room is still 400.00 fuel is still 3.00 a gallon.

Middle America is not that much cheaper than California as far as rents go for a person living with roomies. Buying a house is different. But heck you can get a good buy on some houses in SD right now.

If you want to move here then do it. If you end up homeless then go to Father Joe's Village, in time you will get a job and be in college and not be homeless anymore.

In my opinion the issue of moving to SD has become allot like being a illegal alien and crossing the border. If life has nothing to offer where you are then a person has to start somewhere. I mean nothing, if a person can get a degree where they are living or go in the Military then they should do that.

If you can live on caned goods and get into a college program in SD then do it

Most of the Colleges don't have a wait list. You might not get the exact class you want but you will get classes.

There are folks on this board who don't know how many people would love to be be living in SD in poverty. Eating one meal a day and have a buss pass as transportation.

It all relative.

I will send you a direct message.

Last edited by beachrescue; 03-14-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 AM

18 posts, read 55,832 times
Default Please.

Forget it. My son worked at a McDonald's one summer. He said no one was given more than 15 hrs. a week. At minimum wage that barely will cover your gas (if you have a car). Please do a better job planning your move. I make over 90K my husband makes 120K and we don't exactly live the highlife here...

Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,210,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknowsnow View Post
I'm moving without a job and without a lot of money. Of course many will advise against this, but such is life. I've settled for mediocrity long enough; it's time to take a chance.

I'm just putting out a general feeler here to see if you folks think the lowest-level jobs are somewhat available for young people if it gets bad enough? Ie, mcdonalds jobs, etc
If you're going to do it, then just do it. Seriously, some of the things that I read on this forum are hilarious. People pulling down over 200K per year and still crying - give us all a bit fat break. In all truth, 200K will not afford "the high life" anywhere in this country; this is not unique to just San Diego. The only thing I see unique to San Diego (if that) is the cost of housing if you're going to buy a home. This is not to say that there aren't other parts of the country where real estate is as high or higher, but there's no point in convincing those who are already convinced otherwise.

There are people in other countries living in mud huts, eating insects, dying of starvation, washing their clothes by pounding them on rocks, and here we have people crying about not living "the high life" at any income level. Living well is all relative, I suppose. I'm convinced 100% that if the 200K income tripled or quadrupled, people would still be griping, it still wouldn't be "enough". Of course, it going to be tough anywhere right now in the states. Our unemployment rate in NE OH is 11.8% right now (this figure was just released last week so it's not a number I'm randomly making up).

In this economy, you have to be creative in finding a job or working for yourself. There's a lot of things that people will pay others to do for them (walk their dog, watch their house, clean, paint, organize, cook, babysit, etc.) - jobs that aren't advertised in the paper. It is the same everywhere else too. Things are pretty bleak in other states too, so what's the difference. You have to create your own jobs, your own luck, your own fortune, no matter where you're at, so why not do it where you actually want to live? Yeah, there are those that wouldn't have a clue how to do it, I'm sure. The only thing they know is live in their little box and wait for the boss to give them a paltry little raise so they can gripe about how underpaid they are and how they can't make it on this or that income and how much more they'd make if they lived somewhere else, yada, yada, yada.

Bottom line, OP, it's your life and you can make anything you want out of it. Forget getting everyone's blessing to do what you want to do. Good luck.

Last edited by Donna7; 03-15-2010 at 05:45 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 PM

18 posts, read 55,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
If you're going to do it, then just do it. Seriously, some of the things that I read on this forum are hilarious. People pulling down over 200K per year and still crying - give us all a bit fat break. In all truth, 200K will not afford "the high life" anywhere in this country; this is not unique to just San Diego. The only thing I see unique to San Diego (if that) is the cost of housing if you're going to buy a home. This is not to say that there aren't other parts of the country where real estate is as high or higher, but there's no point in convincing those who are already convinced otherwise.

There are people in other countries living in mud huts, eating insects, dying of starvation, washing their clothes by pounding them on rocks, and here we have people crying about not living "the high life" at any income level. Living well is all relative, I suppose. I'm convinced 100% that if the 200K income tripled or quadrupled, people would still be griping, it still wouldn't be "enough". Of course, it going to be tough anywhere right now in the states. Our unemployment rate in NE OH is 11.8% right now (this figure was just released last week so it's not a number I'm randomly making up).

In this economy, you have to be creative in finding a job or working for yourself. There's a lot of things that people will pay others to do for them (walk their dog, watch their house, clean, paint, organize, cook, babysit, etc.) - jobs that aren't advertised in the paper. It is the same everywhere else too. Things are pretty bleak in other states too, so what's the difference. You have to create your own jobs, your own luck, your own fortune, no matter where you're at, so why not do it where you actually want to live? Yeah, there are those that wouldn't have a clue how to do it, I'm sure. The only thing they know is live in their little box and wait for the boss to give them a paltry little raise so they can gripe about how underpaid they are and how they can't make it on this or that income and how much more they'd make if they lived somewhere else, yada, yada, yada.

Bottom line, OP, it's your life and you can make anything you want out of it. Forget getting everyone's blessing to do what you want to do. Good luck.
Was this directed at me? For your information, I was making a very good point which would have given this young person some much needed perspective had you not brought up your ridiculous comparisons to mud huts and whatnot. You can NOT make it anywhere working at McDonalds without some form of government assistance (i.e. WELFARE) and I don't think we need to encourage any more parasitic behavior than is necessary. Perhaps you should volunteer for Green Peace if you are so interested in people living in developing countries. I am interested in preserving the integrity of THIS country, and if that involves giving advice (based on personal experience and not absurd hyperbole) to someone who is about to make a huge financial mistake, then I'll thank you to mind your own business.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,210,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marghareta Alston-Towels View Post
Was this directed at me? For your information, I was making a very good point which would have given this young person some much needed perspective had you not brought up your ridiculous comparisons to mud huts and whatnot. You can NOT make it anywhere working at McDonalds without some form of government assistance (i.e. WELFARE) and I don't think we need to encourage any more parasitic behavior than is necessary. Perhaps you should volunteer for Green Peace if you are so interested in people living in developing countries. I am interested in preserving the integrity of THIS country, and if that involves giving advice (based on personal experience and not absurd hyperbole) to someone who is about to make a huge financial mistake, then I'll thank you to mind your own business.

Thank God that my husband, children (college graduates down to age 8) and myself live far away from you and your ideology. Your comment about "preserving the integrity of this country" and mentioning "Green Peace" (for some weird reason) sounds suspicious.

Spare me the "preserving the integrity of this country", "government assistance", "welfare", "parasite" talking points.

The last time I checked, California was one of 50 states that comprises the United States of America. We, as American citizens, have the right to live in whatever state we so choose, without the need to receive your (or anyone else's) Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

Last edited by Donna7; 03-16-2010 at 05:16 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM

329 posts, read 1,048,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknowsnow View Post
I've settled for mediocrity long enough; it's time to take a chance.
wait...i really wanna ask this because it boggles me, but i'm kinda afraid to find out:

if working at mcdonalds is a step UP from mediocrity...

what did you use to do? and how are you defining mediocrity? cuz in my dictionary, mediocrity has a picture of a guy flipping burgers.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:20 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,076,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
actually in my neighborhood, places like Chili's, those types of restaurants, have Anglo waiters and waitresses, cashiers. It's the cooks, kitchen workers that are primarily Hispanic. But, again, the competition for those jobs might be fierce, I'm sure they are mostly high school kids.
Yes, and in my neighborhood-carmel valley-and my previous hood-normal heights, there are many anglo workers...in normal heights, north and south park, kensington, univ. heights, there are lots of cafes, shops and restaurants, majority of which have anglo or diverse groups of employees,so to speak.
And Whole foods in Hillcrest and La Jolla-they hire lots of 'types' of folks.
Jimbo's market, in carmel valley, is currently hiring, and i'd say they are about 70 anglo to 30% hispanic. Leaf and Bean cafe in CV is pretty much all anglo, and McD's in CV is primarily hispanic, interestingly. Starbucks hires diverse range, and you definitely do not need to speak Spanish for this or the other places I just listed.

When people say this, [oh,you have to speak spanish,and SD is very high cost of living,etc.] it is reactionary at best. While the attempt may be to be pragmatic and let would-be san diegans know the reality, it often comes off as exagerrated advice. The OP did not even say at first how old, what stage of life, what type of living environ expectations, etc. Certainly, SD is a place where young folks can come and have roomates and work min. wage. Not easy, but it has never been easy to do this. I did similar things 20 yrs ago, and lived in small college towns in states without as large of an economy as so cal. You live simply and check out the scene.

So, OP should look beyond McD's and taco shops, IMO, and he/she will find something.

OP should plan on having a roomate, and look at areas like normal heights and parts of north park, where you can find a 2 bedroom for 800-1000/mo.,a nd split that w/a roomie. (This is regularly possible there-we paid 1k for a nice two bedroom with laundry on site,2 blocks from adams ave.)

How long it will take OP to find something for work, I do not know...but I have seen places locally hiring.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marghareta Alston-Towels View Post
Forget it. My son worked at a McDonald's one summer. He said no one was given more than 15 hrs. a week. At minimum wage that barely will cover your gas (if you have a car). Please do a better job planning your move. I make over 90K my husband makes 120K and we don't exactly live the highlife here...
Um,don't pick McD's. But there are other places hiring...depends on time of year, age of employee/life and work experience, etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
wait...i really wanna ask this because it boggles me, but i'm kinda afraid to find out:

if working at mcdonalds is a step UP from mediocrity...

what did you use to do? and how are you defining mediocrity? cuz in my dictionary, mediocrity has a picture of a guy flipping burgers.
I think OP means where he's living is mediocrity, and he/she needs to take a risk and try a new way of life...EVEN if it means having to start out working at McD's to make ends meet while creating the life he/she wants.

Geez, guys-have none of you ever been in the situation of needing to get out of a rut, or wanting something different than your family/where you came from?

Yes, I get the economy and jobs thing-but ya'll are very harsh and not really offering any potential options....

Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM

329 posts, read 1,048,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I think OP means where he's living is mediocrity, and he/she needs to take a risk and try a new way of life...EVEN if it means having to start out working at McD's to make ends meet while creating the life he/she wants.

Geez, guys-have none of you ever been in the situation of needing to get out of a rut, or wanting something different than your family/where you came from?

Yes, I get the economy and jobs thing-but ya'll are very harsh and not really offering any potential options....
this has nothing to do with being nice or harsh. save that kinda trash for pre-school etiquette class. being "nice" here means giving the OP a swift kick in the nuts because he's about to do something horrendously stupid.

Reasonable Plan: PROBLEM: i'm in a rut, going nowhere fast, living at home, boring. RESOURCES: i have a HS degree, no money for college, no debt, maybe some savings, and an interest in telecommunications. SOLUTION: I'm going to study hard to ace the ASVAB so I can get into the military and be trained in telecommunications (non-combat role). Then, i'll use my benefits to go to college afterwards. i understand that nothing is for free in life so I will work hard to make my dreams of living in SD become a reality some day.

Stupid Plan: Problem: i'm in a rut, going nowhere fast, living at home, bored out of my mind. SOLUTION: spend savings to move to SD, although I don't know how expensive it is, where I'll stay, or even if I'll have a job. I'll then try to look for a job at McDonalds. I know that I can't possibly be paid enough to actually accumulate savings, but I'm hoping that my hours won't ever be shortened or that I'll ever be fired because then I'll be in debt in order to pay for rent and food.

Your choice OP. I hope you take some time to re-evaluate your true goals in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego