Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Why put yourself in a position for failure? What kind of job do you expect to get 5 years down the road if your goal right now is McDonalds? I'm not sure how old you are but instead of settling for McDonalds, why not get a degree or a trade? I'm not bashing McD's I worked there for 1.5 years when i was 16 :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
actually in my neighborhood, places like Chili's, those types of restaurants, have Anglo waiters and waitresses, cashiers. It's the cooks, kitchen workers that are primarily Hispanic. But, again, the competition for those jobs might be fierce, I'm sure they are mostly high school kids.
Those jobs primarily go to college students, and I'm sure that if there's an opening coming up, it doesn't get advertised - it gets filled by word of mouth. There are lots of San Diego residents out of work, and would more than happy to take a job there.

As for In-n-Out, those jobs are hard to get from what I've heard.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknowsnow View Post
I've settled for mediocrity long enough; it's time to take a chance.
your San Diego McJob lifestyle will be far, far below the dazzling heights of mediocrity.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 PM

8 posts, read 6,789 times
I guess I just disagree. Some people are able to manufacture happiness completely divorced from the competition of folks working their way through the corporate world. I think I'd be perfectly happy finishing classes and working a Mcjob in paradise.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
I guess I just disagree. Some people are able to manufacture happiness completely divorced from the competition of folks working their way through the corporate world. I think I'd be perfectly happy finishing classes and working a Mcjob in paradise.
There is an in-between, however. I, too, have rejected the idea of "working my way through the corporate world" however I feel as if I had a job paying < $10/hour I'd be working and worrying so much I wouldn't be enjoying (or seeing much) of San Diego.

You can get by with little expendable income here but you still need enough income to pay bills. I don't know if you're going to be able to do that with a fast food job, without working several of those jobs, taking up 60 hours/week of your time.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
You can't survive in SD working at CrackDonalds, no way. That's around $1,250 (before taxes) a month working full time at $8.50. Unless you do move in with roomates or family, but still, your life will suck and you will constantly be struggling.

A one bedroom is around $900 a month in the hood, and well over $1,000 in middle class neighborhoods. So if you wanted to live on your own, forget it!

You will be competing with mostly Mexican people for a job at Crack D's and all other fast food restaurants locally (I really don't know how they make it out here) unless you wanna work at In-N-Out, they seem to hire mostly Whites and Asian's which is because they want to present a certain image. Or you can choose a whole different job path which I desperately recommend you do.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
You'd be struggling to survive. You'd have no car and barely enough money for basic food / clothing / utilities. You'd be living in a house full of strangers in most likely a sketchy area. Have you ever been to the San Diego you'd be able to afford on your McJob wages? Few would consider it to be paradise. This is a big city, and our bad neighborhoods are bad neighborhoods.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I'm moving without a job and without a lot of money. Of course many will advise against this, but such is life. I've settled for mediocrity long enough; it's time to take a chance.

I'm just putting out a general feeler here to see if you folks think the lowest-level jobs are somewhat available for young people if it gets bad enough? Ie, mcdonalds jobs, etc
well, if you can get hired by someplace like McDonalds you will most likely not be hired a full time employee so you can't count on 40 hrs a week, plus you couldn't live on what McDonalads pays. Remember people working for Micky Ds normally are just picking up a second income, suplimenting their family income or are students.

You say you have settled for mediocracy long enough, what do you mean by that and what do you think working for a fast food restaurant is? Actually it is below mediocracy..

Nita,

Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
now you are talking about finishing classes? Are you saying you are in college? Of course you realize paying out of state tuition, if indeed you can find a college that is accepting new applicants will be literally thousands of $$s per semester...not to mention room, board, etc. There is no way you can make a living working at McDonalds and you need to speak Spanish in most cases? What about this do you not understand?

How much time have you spent in Paradise as you put it? What do you think you will get from moving to So California..??

Nita

Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
OP, if you do this make sure you maintain a happy relationship with your parents because you might be calling them for a place to live in 6 months.

I hate to sound pessimistic but that is the pattern for young people who go through with a move to a more expensive area, with no job, and no degree, willing to accept less for sunshine and the beach.

Why not move to a less expensive/less competitive version of San Diego like Tampa/St. Pete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego