Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 31,128 times

Advertisements

I live in Maryland currently, looking to move to Southern California sometime in the next 4-7 months, just tired of living in the same place forever and ready for a change... teh facts:

- I have about $5,000 saved up currently, hoping to have around $10,000 before moving.

- I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Communication.

- I'm 23 and I live very modestly (read: I'm cheap)

- I'm not specific about my career, just something that pays the bills. Possibly something in property management or travel/hospitality

Things I like:

- sunshine, beaches, friendly people, laid-back lifestyle

Things I dont like:

- crowded areas, traffic, unclean/unsafe areas

Is SD a good fit for me? I feel like LA is just "too much" of everything... too expensive, too crowded, too hectic. I dont want to live out in a rural area, but I dont have to be downtown in the busiest sector of town... (I visited NYC once, hated it)

Would Orange County or other surrounding areas be a better fit?

Is this possible? How hard will it be for me to find a job? Will I be homeless within a few months? Help...

Last edited by Matty1; 04-22-2010 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
SD is a good fit for you. Finding a job will be the tough part though, pretty bad job market here currently. OC will be more crowded and have more traffic but it generally has a better job market than SD, although right now I'm not sure that's saying much.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:03 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
I would start off by finding a room for rent on San Diego Craigslist.

That way, you'll have some roommates to help you get adjusted here.

There are lots of 20 somethings sharing homes, condos, apts. all over San Diego.

It will also help save you on rent and utilities, which can be expensive if you live alone.

10K should be enough to start with.

Then after you find a job, you can decide to move into your own place.

Plan to give them at least 1 month rent & 1 month sec deposit when you arrive.

Rooms here usually go for around $500 - $700 / month depending on size of room, private bath, etc.

Another nice thing about renting a room, is the lease is usually month-to-month, so you can easily leave if the situation isn't good (problem roommate, etc).

Old 04-23-2010, 01:02 AM

111 posts, read 461,055 times
San Diego sounds like a good fit for you. Check here to get an idea of what the place is like:
San Diego Travel: Attractions

During peak hours, the traffic is bad and San Diegans drive fast. When you first get here, you will find that you need a heart of steel to drive on the highway, but given that you're 23, you'll adapt just fine.

Lots of sunshine, relatively clean - though as always, there are some scummy parts of town (always like that in big cities). Generally safe, but again, there will be shifty parts of town but ever here, it's not so bad if you don't go looking for trouble. The dangerous parts would be if you go to the Mexican border.

If anything, I'd be worried about you being homeless in less than 6 months time. $5 to 10K in saving isn't a whole lot given the cost of rent and food. If you can't find a job then you are in trouble. Maybe you can come for a visit and scout the place a bit and see if there is a chance of getting a job before you up and move from your home town. Maybe find a online newspaper to look at the classified ads to see if there are any jobs that you might qualify for.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Qualifying for a job, and getting one are two different things.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,945 times
Default You will love it

I think you will fit in nicely. There is a huge population of transplants here in San Diego. I would say look at the southbay you could probably find a decent gig. I moved here 10 years ago when I left the army. I am originally from virginia and I haven't looked back since. I recently got married and my wife moved here from Toronto. Now she is more big city than me or you from what your wrote and she loves it here too. Just do some poking around and look at Chula Vista, EastLake, Otay Ranch you can find some nice places to get into. I don't care much for Orange County.

Last edited by JamesandJanka; 04-29-2010 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 PM

107 posts, read 338,641 times
San Diego is nice. Til you meet a girl and get a kid or two. Then you may wish you were back in Maryland. Very hard to raise a family here. Unless you make $200k-yr. But you will love SD. as long as you stay single w/o. many financial responsibilities.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
I don't think San Diego is all that great on a budget. You need a car to get everywhere. The mass transit in San Diego is only served by a few light rail routes.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
San Diego is nice. Til you meet a girl and get a kid or two. Then you may wish you were back in Maryland. Very hard to raise a family here. Unless you make $200k-yr. But you will love SD. as long as you stay single w/o. many financial responsibilities.
Maryland isn't exactly cheap...at least near the Nation's Capital.

In fact, some parts of Maryland are more expensive to live in than San Diego.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
San Diego downtown is like a wannabe version of San Francisco anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego