Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM

14 posts, read 29,720 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Im new to this website, but have been looking around a bit and this seems like the most informative site to find out real opinions, not just from a broker/tourist sites etc... Anyway I figure the best way to get advice is to give you a decent amount of info so here goes;

Im a 23 year old recent college grad, working full time in the social service field. I live in NYC (at home) and have recently decided that I DESPERATELY need a location change. San Diego seems like such an awesome place to live!

Im in the very beginning stages of trying to figure out this whole move, but am hoping to move by next year, I just need to save up, figure out what areas are nice/affordable, if I can live downtown without a car, and hopefully if I can get a job (somewhat) quickly...A friend from high school and I are planning to be roomates so at least rent wont be as awful as NYC...

So besides the obvious differences between NY and SD (weather, public transportation, fast pace lifestyle, LEGOLAND lol) I guess I am just looking for some insight into what areas are good for recent college grads. I enjoy a good night out, but not seven days a week, so I dont want to be surrounded by frat houses or anything haha

Also, is SD diverse? Im used to a very diverse lifestyle but have gotten somewhat mixed reviews about the cultural differences, but some people classify diversity differently...

I would really appreciate any feedback that I can get! Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
San Diego County is like 5,000 sq miles in size. And public transportation is limited. You need to figure out where your potential employers are before you start looking for a neighborhood.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
And line up a job first.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,973 times
Check out North Park, University Heights, South Park, Gaslamp, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, UTC area of La Jolla, Little Italy- - all areas where guys/gals your age live/ hang out/ party/ drink @ local pubs and such. Good luck

Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
Check out North Park, University Heights, South Park, Gaslamp, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, UTC area of La Jolla, Little Italy- - all areas where guys/gals your age live/ hang out/ party/ drink @ local pubs and such. Good luck
Mewzikguy has nailed the neighborhoods you would want to live in as a younger person wanting to be fairly close to social activity. However, I don't think you would be happy in UTC. It's new - sterile - and car-centered.

Basically, you have three broad options for locations to live:

Downtown
The Beaches
Balboa Park Area

Downtown's entertainment area is the Gaslamp, but you wouldn't want to live in the actual Gaslamp. You would have the Marina, Columbia, Little Italy, Cortez, and East Village to choose from. East Village is where most of the newest development has occurred, probably has the least expensive rents, and is closest to the more undesirable aspects of Downtown - the Homeless which are relatively spread out, and the drug dealing that occurs on 17th Avenue near J and Imperial Streets and the freeway. But maybe your client base would be right there, outside your door, and hopefully not defecating in it.

See Downtown Map here:
CCDC >> Neighborhoods Map (http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/planning.neighborhoods - broken link)
(Choose the PDF version of the map for a larger view)

The Beaches - Ocean, Mission and Pacific Beach. Ocean Beach is separated from Mission and Pacific Beaches by Mission Bay so this area is not contiguous. You might enjoy all three of these areas, but if you don't work in the neighborhood you will need a car. Sure there is bus service, but riding the bus can be tedious and nausea inducing if there is a lot of distance between your starting and ending points.

Balboa Park Area - This is the ring of older turn of the century neighborhoods that surround Balboa Park. Starting at the south west corner, they are Bankers Hill/Park West, Hillcrest & University Heights, North Park, South Park (South Park is on the eastern side of the park, not the southern side), and Golden Hill (Golden Hill is to the south of the park). These neighborhoods are walkable, urban by San Diego standards, diverse, and with good public transportation to Downtown if your job is in that location.

If your job ends up being somewhere outside of Downtown or the neighborhood you live in, then things become tough and a car becomes necessary. You just can't spend 90 minutes commuting to a job when you can get there by car in 30 minutes or less.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 AM

213 posts, read 823,278 times
Public transportation down in Southern California isn't reliable, so I suggest saving up for a cheap car. And the job market is horrible in San Diego for the time being, so I'd strongly recommend you get yourself lined up before being hasty and making the cross-country move.

Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know the realities so you'll have an easier time acclimating after you relocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa425 View Post
So besides the obvious differences between NY and SD (weather, public transportation, fast pace lifestyle, LEGOLAND lol)
San Diego is pretty slow-paced. You'll be able to see that, coming from a place as busy as NYC.

Quote:
Also, is SD diverse?
Not really. Majority of people here are white, while there are plenty of Mexicans and Asians (mostly Filipinos, which you'll find more saturated in certain areas). That's about it really, not much variety in ethnic backgrounds down here.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:27 AM

11 posts, read 30,165 times
A good idea would be to take a short vacation if you have friends. Nothing like exploring the town yourself and getting a feeler.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM

14 posts, read 29,720 times
Thank you all so much for the feedback!

I have seen reviews about some of the apartment complexes in the East Village area, and they sound a bit like some of the newer developments in Brooklyn, sub-par work, thin walls, undesirable neighbors etc, I have also searched some "affordable housing" through Google Earth which has helped me to get an idea of what some of the areas are like.

I will be making a trip out there asap to look around, I just need to coordinate times with my new roomie...

I am aiming to move by next year so I hope the job market picks up soon I have been looking at the sandiego.gov site which was a little discouraging because a lot of the social service jobs seem to have lost their funding..But I wont be discouraged!

Thanks again for the advice, its so appreciated!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,662 times
Make sure you have a job before you move here

Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Make sure you have a job before you move here
That's what I said. But people have stars in their eyes, and will have to learn the hard way.

I live here, and I'm still looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego