Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who thinks someone with a HUGE HEART will help Aloha Girl?
'Ae (YES!) 5 83.33%
A'ole (NO WAY) 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:58 AM

7 posts, read 24,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncityicecream View Post
SD_Aloha Girl,
I am in the same boat as you are. Have you gotten any responses that have been helpful to you? I am looking at the same concept with pre-packaged goods, and the bureacracy at the county is amazing. I am curious to see what information you find out!!
Crowcityicecream, I sent you a direct message in your box...I just wanted to make sure you got it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 AM

7 posts, read 24,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Awesome! Are you talking Hawaiian BBQ, white rice, lumpia, chicken katsu, macaroni salad, musubi, etc? If so, I hope you find a way to make it work.
Sdurbanite, you know your island food!! So impressed No, I wouldn't know how to begin taking on something like that. To be honest, my husband is the better cook, he digs imus (pits) in the backyard, wraps pork in ti leaves, and cooks them on hot lava rocks. It might be tough to get the Health Department to approve that on a moving truck yeah?? LOL.
I will be serving Hawaiian Shave Ice, NOT to be confused with a sno cone (blah). 100% Hawaiian style, with options like azuki beans, ice cream, condensed milk, li hing mui powder...
My goal is to keep it strictly old school Hawaiian style. If you've been to Hawai'i and had a shave ice, you know that the best of Hawai'i come from the Mom and Pop shops. That's the essence of shave ice and moreso Hawai'i, it's appreciating the little things in your day that make you smile. We will not have a snazzy logo or fancy name, or have crystal icicles hanging from our cart with "Ice, ice Baby" booming. Just good ol fashion (ok, REAL good) shave ice

Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,783,411 times
^^I lived in Hawaii when I was younger and my brother was born there, so yes, I'm familiar with the food! There are enough Hawaiian BBQ places (plenty of L&L locations) in SD that satisfy my cravings.

I think a Hawaiian Shaved Ice cart is a brilliant idea! Any chance you can bring Matsumoto's to the mainland? And you are right, shaved iced blows away any regular snow cone. Fine, light ice versus coarse, crunchy granules? No competition, at all.

Good luck on your venture!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,343,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm a glutton; I went by Food Junkies on my way to MIHO today.

At food Junkies I had a brisket on a biscuit ($2.50) really yummy brisket, with bbq sauce and potatoes on a buttermilk biscuit. It was really quite filling for the price, and delicious. One of the owners, Michelle, was there and I had a great conversation with her while I ate. Nice folks. I'll definitely stop by there again to try more stuff

At MIHO I had the poutine (fries with sausage gravy and cheese, it's a Canadian thing which seems to be cathing on here lately). It was really good, but the sausage gravy threw me off- I['m used to brown gravy on poutine. My friends had the Bahn Mi, which they proclaimed excellent. I was wanting to try the grass fed burger, but after the brisket biscuit I figured I should abstain.

It was cool to see folks sitting on the pavement out in front of MIHO, noshing on their food

OP, I bet if you got ahold of the folks from one of those places they'd be happy to advise you.
Great review. I love hearing what's on different menus and how people like them.

I noticed that Voice of San Diego also has an article on the new food truck trend.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/peopl...cc4c03286.html

Old 06-24-2010, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
I am in the process of putting together a commercial kitchen in South Bay ( nearly having a breakdown too) once I am up and certified I would be happy to help you out.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
This is a good business, I'm just wondering why SD is trying to make it difficult if not impossible for small business owners to do business as MFF?

Doing business is a great alterntive ot working with someone else especially now that the economy is not really good. I've been trying to apply for a job but nobody wants to hire me. I decided to do business such as MFF but I think the process to become a MFF operator is difficult.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
I agree "tjgrm" they have made it pretty difficult, but you just gotta jump in and do it. My gourmet taco truck will be hitting the streets in about two weeks after all my permits clear. Everyone stay on the look out, Best fish tacos you'll ever eat (especially out of a truck) plus tacos such as the "GYRO" (braised lamb, on a fried flour tortilla with fresh diced tomatoes, shredded romaine and topped with a home-made ztaziki. If anyone has any insight, please let me know....website will be up shortly [url]www.FusionGourmetTaco.com[/url] See everyone soon! Thank you

Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,633 times
if you're looking for a commercial kitchen to rent check out Just Call Us Kitchen Rental Untitled Document
The website has info on getting licensed too.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
Talking Yet another olne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Aloha Girl View Post
Crowcityicecream, I sent you a direct message in your box...I just wanted to make sure you got it
In the same situation except with a coffee/snack stand in an office building. Hope you are still around and can share your solution.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,343,863 times
Send her a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego