Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
That is a stupid and spurious argument. NO ONE is forcing people to clean toilets and mow lawns in this area. They could clean toilets and mow lawns in other communities if that is all their skill set allows them to do.

Now get to work I still see a ring around the bowl.
The ones who don't want to bother to wipe their own ass pay others to do it for them. Those people can't do that unglamorous work if they live a prohibitive distance away.

And then you would be left with 1%ers all mad that they must endure dirty butts, since they have no idea what to do about it themselves. We wouldn't want to cause agitation amongst the vaunted Job Creators, would we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salle View Post
This is so ridiculous. As a person who works in the town of Pleasanton, I cannot even afford to live in this town. I am one of those whose income is even below that of "Low Income". I am one of the employees who works at the local diner or restaurant or the clothing store or grocer. I am part of your community. I earn my money in Pleasanton, why should I not be able to live in this town? Just because my income is low does not mean I have not worked hard, graduated from college, am not a Gangsta. I take pride in the home I live in, I respect myself and others. I respect what others have worked hard to get. I know there are a lot more people who are just like me; people who don't want to have to commute 1-2 hours to work. I want to be able to have a good life too.

It seems that there are quite a few residents of Pleasanton who want to keep it with the upper class living in town and the lower class living outside of the city. Reminds me of the Medieval times. Lords and ladies who had their surfs. Have we not evolved from this? Just because I don't make a six figure income, doesn't make me a person who doesn't deserve to live in Pleasanton. Diversity is a good thing for the community.

Exactly. There are plenty of six figure thugs rolling around Pleasanton.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Exactly. There are plenty of six figure thugs rolling around Pleasanton.
Taboo... I wouldn't want to live anywhere where I believed this to be true... low income subsidized housing or not.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Taboo... I wouldn't want to live anywhere where I believed this to be true... low income subsidized housing or not.

Well, the profiteers of crime have no zip code. They don't care if you got your money drug dealing or from honorable work. If you have the money, you can buy a house anywhere.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well, the profiteers of crime have no zip code. They don't care if you got your money drug dealing or from honorable work. If you have the money, you can buy a house anywhere.
Maybe... ever show up at a Title Company with Cash?

I did because the Bank did checks drawn on an out of state bank to maximize float... anyway, the Title Company flatly refused to accept my $9500 which is how much I had to add up to my $500 deposit when the contingencies were removed.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM

99 posts, read 231,803 times
I am life-long working-poor.

Doing the deeds so many lackey politician figurehead scum spew that "Americans will not do."

Harvesting your food. loading semi-trailers with the goods you need then driving a multitude of miles then unloading the goods.

I would enjoy watching a cubicle creep unload 18 tons of onions in 55-pound bags.

Masses of despised "commoners" laboring away, often at low pay and NO benefits ensuring the "better classes" have life necessities available allowing you to perform your admittedly needed specialized tasks that pay so much more and allow you to live apart from us commoner scum.

When I was aboard a warship steaming up the Saigon River way back when I looked around at the crew manning the machine guns, M-14s and shotguns and I saw the dregs of USA society. The few folks I kept in contact with over the years were the norm... do the research if you want to verify what I write... the typical American does not rise above the socio-economic group they were raised within.

Oh yes, shout out your exceptions and your belief that the exception disproves numerous studies over the decades indicating that the norm IS remaining in the cohort one was reared within.

Anyway... the topic is extremely complex and I understand the desire to keep the riff-raff at arm's length or more.

Perhaps it is an attitude I detect in some of the comments aboard this thread.

Imagine, if you will, if the folks doing the "dirty work" who receive so little for their efforts decided to just quit working.

Food not harvested and transported. Society's dregs declaring that the USA's elites can send their own vile spawn to bleed and perhaps die on foreign soil.

So many tasks that need doing not done.

It takes a team for a society to function, especially a complex industrial/post-industrial society such as we live in.

I am not trying to make a point here... just conveying an attitude.

Perhaps a couple folks with much better minds than mine can assist in conveying my convoluted thoughts:

"While the poor and middle class fight for us in Afghanistan, and while most Americans struggle to make ends meet, we mega-rich continue to get our extraordinary tax breaks," Buffett wrote in a Sunday New York Times Op-ed.

"There has been class warfare going on," Buffett, 81, said in a Sept. 30 interview with Charlie Rose on PBS. It's just that my class is winning. And my class isn't just winning, I mean we're killing them."

"There's class warfare, all right, Mr. (Warren) Buffett said, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning"

"One reason companies are so profitable is that they're paying employees less than they ever have as a share of GDP. And that, in turn, is one reason the economy is so weak: Those "wages" are other companies' revenue.
In short, our current system and philosophy is creating a country of a few million overlords and 300+ million serfs." Blodget

I am now atop the Ozark Plateau surrounded by a huge horde of society's dregs. I lived in "P-town" back when its population was around perhaps 5,000at most and the roads were all 2-lane except maybe for I-580 but I remember seeing the building of the freeway across Altamont pass.

No BART back then and the "dime store" on the main drag had wooden floors and the soda/pop/refreshing carbonated beverages were in bottles immersed in chilled water. Five or so years before the Summer of Love? Groovy.

Anyway, all the best to you folks and try to look at the BIG picture where the proverbial "we need ditch diggers too" are too often being shoved face-down into an economic quagmire.

And pray that the apparent growing numbers of desperate po' folks never rebel.

Personally, for what it's worth, before I die from old age I would revel at a full-scale military coup to destroy what I consider to be an unfixable federal government and various bureaucracies and systems owned and controlled by a few powerful greedy class-based scum.

Scour the Web. I believe the numbers of folks such as I are growing.

Have a wonderful week.

Thank you for taking the time to read this diatribe.

Ex-Granada High from the "groovy" years. When the SDS spoke on campus and the "Blue Meanies" rushed in along with local cops and the Highway Patrol... defending the status quo!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There was a time when people who couldn't afford to live closer to the Bay moved to Pleasanton, San Ramon, etc... the price of housing was cheaper even if it meant they would have to commute an hour or more to their downtown jobs.

My former boss was one of those... she worked at San Leandro Hospital and didn't like the old homes at high prices and was able to buy a brand new home in Pleasanton in the 60's for less then she would pay for a 30 year old home in San Leandro. Her co-workers said she was crazy living so far from work...

Over time... major business starting building new headquarters along the Walnut Creek/Pleasanton corridor, BART came in, etc., all of a sudden, there were great jobs and transportation to the city and the price of Pleasanton Real Estate went up as well as new higher end housing was being built.

I'm afraid it is human nature to desire better and better is all relative based upon your vantage point...

The same could be made for folks I work with that feel bad they can't live in San Francisco, Piedmont, Orinda, Alamo... etc.

The per capita income for Pleasanton is in the mid 40k... much of the household income is based on having two wage earners...

//www.city-data.com/city/Pleasa...alifornia.html
IF I look at the link provided by you, I notice the median income is no where near what you state "mid 40k" here is what is stated
Estimated median household income in 2009: $102,079 (it was $90,859 in 2000)
Pleasanton: $102,079

AND these figures are from 2009. With an income of 40k a family cannot live in Pleasanton, Dublin or Livermore without assistance or having multi families in 1 dwelling. While there are great public transportation to get into San Francisco, that is not available to/from the Central Valley.

I truly know that the median income for Pleasanton is not 40k.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Pleasa...#ixzz24kXEW2hM

Last edited by Salle; 08-27-2012 at 07:04 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 4,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
If you want to live where you work and can't afford the city you work in maybe you should get a job somewhere less expensive.

If I bought a house in Pleasanton because it is an upper middle class city I would be very upset that they were forced to build low income housing there driving down property values and driving up crime. I wouldn't mind living in Plesanton but I couldn't afford to get a house there So I move next door to Livermore where it is alot cheaper.
Justinbro2002..........obviously you have not been in the job market lately. I am going to be able to retire shortly, and then I can go and get " a job where it is less expensive". Incomes drop if a person where to do what you state, and then it is a downward spiral.

So many generalizations about low income people. Look again at what the median income is for the Pleasanton area. Like I stated before, not all lower income people are involved in crime and illegal activity.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
IF I look at the link provided by you, I notice the median income is no where near what you state "mid 40k" here is what is stated
Estimated median household income in 2009: $102,079 (it was $90,859 in 2000)
Pleasanton: $102,079

AND these figures are from 2009. With an income of 40k a family cannot live in Pleasanton, Dublin or Livermore without assistance or having multi families in 1 dwelling. While there are great public transportation to get into San Francisco, that is not available to/from the Central Valley.

I truly know that the median income for Pleasanton is not 40k.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Pleasa...#ixzz24kXEW2hM
Per Capita is now around 49k for Pleasanton... numbers are straight from the 2010 Census...

Household Income is about double the per Capita number

http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov/cities/Pleasanton.htm

Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
This is so ridiculous. As a person who works in the town of Pleasanton, I cannot even afford to live in this town. I am one of those whose income is even below that of "Low Income". I am one of the employees who works at the local diner or restaurant or the clothing store or grocer. I am part of your community. I earn my money in Pleasanton, why should I not be able to live in this town? Just because my income is low does not mean I have not worked hard, graduated from college, am not a Gangsta. I take pride in the home I live in, I respect myself and others. I respect what others have worked hard to get. I know there are a lot more people who are just like me; people who don't want to have to commute 1-2 hours to work. I want to be able to have a good life too.

It seems that there are quite a few residents of Pleasanton who want to keep it with the upper class living in town and the lower class living outside of the city. Reminds me of the Medieval times. Lords and ladies who had their surfs. Have we not evolved from this? Just because I don't make a six figure income, doesn't make me a person who doesn't deserve to live in Pleasanton. Diversity is a good thing for the community.
A wise man once said "you can't always get what you want".

I don't know what you mean by "deserve" to live some where. That's not even a factor. You either can or can't afford a place, it's how life works. The good news is there are lot's of places at lot's of price points so you can live a good life while having something better to shoot for. Wanting something you can't afford is usually what motivates people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland