Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,824,569 times

Advertisements

How many of you think that A's need to get out of Bay Area ASAP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,359,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Only the psychos, apparently.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,856 times
I'm not psycho, but I think the A's should leave the Bay Area. If they do put them in San Jose, I don't think it will automatically fix the attendance problems. Day games in Silicon Valley will be a tough sell given the work ethic out here, and the offset of lost Giants attendance might not make it a huge net gain if you look at both teams' combined attendance. After all, if you want to go to a major league game now and you live in the 408, you are basically 45-60 minutes away, so it's not like it's a huge burden to attend any time you want to.

Meanwhile there are a lot of cities in the US that clamor for a major league team, which would greatly increase the scope of MLB. I don't think the Bay Area needs two MLB teams.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM

46 posts, read 163,996 times
Default Where would they go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Where would they go? I did a quick search and found this article.

Memphis/Nashville/Knoxville-3 million-It's ludicrious they put these cities together, they are no where near each other, games would play on TV across the state, but once the Volunteers and Titans seasons get going no one will pay attention to baseball. Memphis seems to be the largest city with about 1.5 million people and they can barely fill Grizzly games. The predators can't sell out in Nashville, and Knoxville is a college town.

Raliegh/Durham/Charlotte-3 million-This is a stretch again in terms of geography. When I lived in Charlotte we never drove to Raliegh for a Hurricanes game. Again, you'd be dropping a football team in the heart of football and college basketball country. Remember the Hornets left Charlotte not to long ago.

Indianapolis/Fort Wayne-2 million-Another 2 hour drive between 'home' cities. Indy I could see supporting a team, but how well do the Pacers draw? In a state that is known for basketball no less.

Sacramento-2 million-Possible, but with the Kings being rumored to be moving would MLB really want to put a team there?

San Antonio/Austin-2 mil-I don't see how this would benefit MLB, I feel it would take away fans from the Rangers and Astros, who both have had difficulties drawing fans.

Oklahoma City/Tulsa-1.5 mil-I was very impressed by how the thunder were supported in OKC. Granted basketball is played in a smaller arena and has less games per year. Check back in a few years to see how the Thunder are doing.

Portland, OR-2.5 mil-I would see this as the most likely option, if it happens at all. The Blazers draw decently.

Louisville/Lexington KY-1.5 mil-I forsee these cities having the same problem as Nashville and Memphis. Plus they'd be competing with people who might already have allegiances to Cincinnati. This is a new one for me.

Buffalo/Rochester-2.2 Mil.-I dont understand why they didn't include Syracuse in this after some of the other combinations of cities they have shown, but that's neither here nor there. Again, don't think there is enough interest in the area (lived there for a few years). Buffalo is all about the Bills and Sabres, Rochester draws decently for their minor league team. Plus I believe the Yankees have cable rights in the area.

Las Vegas-1.6 mil-Baseball will never move to Las Vegas. For reasons see Pete Rose.

Other cities I can think of, don't feel like researching though;

-Vancouver, BC-don't know how well baseball would be received, they lost the grizzlies (who had to compete w/ the Canucks). Also, I don't know if MLB would risk another team in Canada after the Expos failed so miserably

-San Juan, PR-the expos played a few games here in their last year. Sold those out. Not sure if the economy is good enough consistantly sell out or make good TV money. might be able to get tourists to go to games

-Salt Lake City-I know nothing of SLC. I think the Jazz do okay, no matter how ridiculous their name is.

-New Orleans-Hornets are having a hard time drawing, they lost the aforementioned Jazz years ago, economy isn't the greatest, and the saints truly own that town

To put those populations into perspective, Oakland has a population of 400k and Alameda and Contra Costa Counties have 2.5 mil people total.

Also, remember baseball is very conservative with things like this. Before the expos moved to DC, which was much overdue (I may be biased about that one but) the last time a team moved was in 1972 when the then Washington Senators moved to Texas.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,326,302 times
move to san jose move to san jose move to san jose no more hoodrats stealing the radio out of my car thanks to no BART access to san jose

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,169,267 times
The fact of the matter is silicon valley is the future and the east bay is the past. With the 49ers looking to move to santa clara and the earthquakes and sharks already in silicon valley, all San jo-LAME needs is the warriors. It would be great for the city. The warriors are like the sharks, they are the only show for their sport in town, so moving them to san jose makes sense, because they will still sell out and they will be closer to SILICON VALLEY BIG MONEY SPONSORS.

PLus the site san jose has for the a's would be much better for an arena.

Its not that San Jose does not deserve the A's, the A's dont deserve San Jose.

They are a nomadic baseball team with **** poor ownership, let them go some where else.

The reason the owners will not vote to move the team is because

A- it is clear obvious there are viable locations in the A's east bay market
B- The onwers know there is a direct coorilation between money they A's ownership spends and fans in the seat. The team gets 32 million a year in welfare revenue sharing, spend some of that on players.

As far as the raiders, all davis needs to die in order for them to do anything relevant. In fact I think Al davis is dead, its just liek Tupac, they just keep playing old audio of him and they roll his carcas out there filled with fermaldihide to make him look alive.

La deserves the raiders, they are the second largest market in the country, they just need an owner who knows how to put a team together.

Oakland does not deserve a single team they have.

And the truth of the matter is the Giants got screwed over when the A's came in the first place. It never should have happend. That team is the scum of the MLB.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,256,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Oakland does not deserve a single team they have.
Very true. When it comes down to it, even cities like Detroit deserve their teams more than Oakland does. It's comical to hear Dellums discuss a $300,000,000 stadium when his city is dead broke and laying off the police force. Comical.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censorship Data View Post
Why would anybody here think that? And why would they need to? All they need is a new, smaller, non shared NFL stadium
Giants are the main attraction in the Bay Area for baseball and we also have the most beautiful stadium. On top of this, Giants draw almost as more fans then the A's.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM

A's are also one of the worst franchises in the MLB. Giants have been successful lately.

Look at the record of both of these teams now.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,359,698 times
When was the last time they were even in the playoffs? 2004?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland