Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM

34 posts, read 136,184 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to San Francisco from Bowling Green, KY (pop. 53,000)--a place from which I have never moved! I am only 19 and am wanting to move on to a bigger city with more opportunity and diversity. I am a very open-minded person living in what I see as a dead-end town. So I just had a couple of questions

I am looking into the California College of the Arts for photography. Anyone been there or know anything about it?

Also, if anyone has any insight as to the people that I might meet and the experience I might have as a 19 year old female alone that has never lived in a big city before!!

ANY insight is MUCH appreciated! With little to no support from my family, I need all the help I can get!

Thanks <333
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 25,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKDink55 View Post
I am looking into the California College of the Arts for photography. Anyone been there or know anything about it? <333
I had a friend who went to the College of the Arts for photography, and she loved it, although it was expensive. One important thing, at least from her perspective, is that the school really focused on ways that the students would use the skills they learned there in a work capacity. According to her, they really wanted their students to not only learn and expand the "art" of photography, but they emphasize concrete ways they can use that skill in work situations. They also actively worked with students in exploring career opportunities and job placement.

I'm an old fart, so I can't add much to what you will find socially here - except to say that no matter what your interest, or aim in life, you will find like-minded souls here in SF.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Many people in SF go there for reasons just like yours. You'll manage just fine.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 AM

Thank you all so much for the insight---i feel a little more confident now

<3
steph

Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 144,184 times
Sounds like you're in for a lot of fun!

One of the things about San Francisco that you'll appreciate is that you can walk down almost any street after dark safely. That said, there are a couple of areas you should avoid if you're out walking around by yourself:

1) Bayview-Hunter's Point, which is in the far southeast section of the city.

2) Parts of the Mission District, like Crocker Amazon, Excelsior, Mission Terrace, Inner Mission and Outer Mission, require caution. Other parts, like Bernal Heights, the Castro District and Diamond Heights are just fine. The Mission District is bordered on the south by Cesar Chavez Street and to the north by Duboce Avenue, Highway 101 to the East and Church St. on the West. The principal thoroughfare through the neighborhood is - you guessed it - Mission Street.

3) The Tenderloin, which is bounded on the north by Post Street, on the east by Taylor and 6th Streets, on the south by Mission Street and on the west by Van Ness and Ninth Streets. The Tenderloin is also commonly referred to as Mid-Market, Civic Center, Theater District, Lower Nob Hill, Polk Gulch, and Little Saigon.

Rent is expensive in SF, so you'll probably want a room mate, plus you'd probably enjoy having someone else to hang out with when you're new in town. I'm not sure what kind of housing services your college provides, but that's probably the best place to start.

Another great thing about SF is that it's super easy to get around just about anywhere without a car if you don't have one - which is good, because parking is rare, expensive and mental-illness inducing! Muni and BART will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go, and a bike or your own two feet will take you pretty much everywhere else in the city.

I should also mention that most of the housing in SF is old, which means very limited to practically non-existant closet and storage space. Pack lightly, bring along a lot of those Rubbermaid storage bins, or plan a trip to Ikea to find ways to increase your available storage. You'll be glad you did!

The numbered streets in SF (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) run east - west and the numbered avenues run north - south, which is makes it pretty easy to navigate your way around. In the west half of the city, the east-west streets are all alphabetical, starting with Wawona in the south part of the city, and moving up through the alphabet as you head north. The Pacific ocean borders the west and north parts of the city, and the Bay is on the east. One good trick I learned that might help you orient yourself is this: you can see the Transamerica pyramid from just about anywhere in this city. If you're not sure what direction you're heading in, look up and see if you can find the Transamerica Pyramid and then orient yourself accordingly.

Also keep in mind that it's pretty cold in SF at night, even during the summer, so pack accordingly.

I hope this information helps. Best wishes on what I'm sure will be a fantastic adventure!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:38 PM

Wow---that was extremely helpful!
Thank you so much

<3
Steph

Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 88,907 times
Watch out for homeless people in SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland