Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 AM

70 posts, read 325,002 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am looking into possibly moving to SF next year. I'd like to bring my car with me. Preferably, I'll find a place with garage parking - although I know that's not going to be easy. In the alternative, I'll probably wind up having to deal with street parking, which is fine.

I realize that in the areas proximate to downtown (Nob Hill, Russian Hill, SOMA, etc.) street parking is a nightmare. What about some other walkable neighborhoods?

I will only consider neighborhoods actually in SF proper (e.g., not East Bay, Daly City, etc.)

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,520,439 times
There is none.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,912 times
I find street parking more easily attainable in Dogpatch, Sunset/Outer Sunset, and Bernal Heights, but it still couldn't be categorized as 'easy.'

Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
Depends on what you mean by easy. Around the Dolores Park area it's not impossible if you have a parking sticker, but you do have to move your car frequently for street cleaning and sometimes it can be hard to find parking especially after 5pm during the week because of people coming home from work. But it's definitely easier than in areas like Hayes Valley, Nob Hill etc.

The easiest places to find parking are in the Outer Sunset and Outer Richmond but those areas aren't really as walkable. Inner Sunset/Richmond have more going on and are more walkable on certain streets but that means it's trickier to find parking.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post

I realize that in the areas proximate to downtown (Nob Hill, Russian Hill, SOMA, etc.) street parking is a nightmare. What about some other walkable neighborhoods?
West Portal - also has the K,L & M trains with a 15 minute ride to Powell.

Maybe the inner part of Parkside with the L train to downtown. There are a lot of stores and restaurants on Taraval between 17th and 24th.

Last edited by capoeira; 08-15-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,295 times
Nice try.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,828 times
Actually, parking isn't so bad in my neighborhood (Pac Heights, west of Fillmore). The neighborhood is very walkable, but it is more expensive than most other neighborhoods in the city.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:55 PM

70 posts, read 325,002 times
Allow to clarify what I meant by "relatively easy street parking."

Obviously, in SF, I don't expect to be able to park right in front of my home with ease. However, I don't want to have to circle for 20 minutes just to find a spot within 1/4 mile of my place either. I am talking about the kind of neighborhood where more often than not there are parking spots available within a block or two of home.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,828 times
Using your definition of "relatively easy street parking", Pac Heights would fit into that category. I have a garage, but if I were to park on the street, I would more often than not be able to find a spot on my block or one block away.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
Allow to clarify what I meant by "relatively easy street parking."

Obviously, in SF, I don't expect to be able to park right in front of my home with ease. However, I don't want to have to circle for 20 minutes just to find a spot within 1/4 mile of my place either. I am talking about the kind of neighborhood where more often than not there are parking spots available within a block or two of home.
Well avoid the Northeastern part of the city (east of Van Ness and north of Market) as that is the worst area for parking. Hayes Valley seems to be really hard to park in for some reason too though.

Regardless unless you are out in the Outer Sunset or Outer Richmond you will probably often have to search for parking for a while because open spaces aren't going to just be sitting there, but eventually you get to know what blocks are best in an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland