Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,335 times

Advertisements

Can you think of any places in the Bay Area that have homes with a couple of acres of land? I'm not talking about full farms, just houses where the backyard isn't incredibly small and the homes aren't squished together.

I know of many of these places, but the prices are all in the million+ range. I'm wondering if there are any regions that are more affordable (~600k), yet relatively safe, and close to some sort of city/downtown area. I don't want to have to drive fifteen minutes to get to a grocery store.

I was thinking perhaps Vacaville? But I don't really like Vacaville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Well land is pretty expensive in the Bay Area so the more land you have the more expensive the property is. Lots in suburban residential areas get larger the further you get from urban areas like SF, lots in places like Danville are generally larger than around Daly City or Millbrae or Oakland, although the more spread out suburbs are generally still pretty expensive. You can find properties with really massive acreages up in hilly areas like on the Peninsula or around Bonny Doon near Santa Cruz but they are still very expensive and can be far from any shopping especially in the Santa Cruz hills.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
The cheapest area I can think of for larger lots and still relatively close to the Inner Bay Area at more affordable prices is El Sobrante.

But Im talking about lots with space for horses. Don't know if you mean that big...LOL. And even then Im not so sure you could find such a property for $600,000 or in that range.

Otherwise, acclimate yourself to living in a more squished neighborhood. LOL

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
There have been a few in the Oakland Hills recently in your price range where keeping a horse or two is permitted...

Chabot Park Estates and Grass Valley areas are two that come to mind... these areas generally have 1 acre lots and were designed with horses in mind... they also abut the vast East Bay Regional Park land with hundreds of miles of horse trails...

Just did a quick check and nothing available came up... did see two earlier this year.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I think you'd need to expand your definition of Bay Area to Sacramento or Lodi.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

LOCATION, LOCATION ...Nice clean 3/2 single story in Hillcrest Estates Skyline Hills with room to expand on 1.35 acre lot. Beautiful updated kitchen and baths with family room and formal dining rm could be used as 4th bedroom. Park like yards and views from rear.Zoned for Horses.. Price Reduced!!!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

this might work it abuts park space for riding your horse.
and still 20 minutes from downtown sf.

i am not a fan of mid century moderns but some people dig them.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,335 times
I have some family friends who live about five minutes outside of Vacaville. They're in the city limits, it's just the far outskirts. They have a five acre plot and are in a little community with a whole bunch of five acre plots (some are divided). They have their main house, and they have built a second little house and a big shop. Some of the homes in their area have a few acres and are going for around 500-600k.. they're in need of some work but I like fixer-uppers. Their land has a big pond on it and a bunch of trees.

I guess I'm wondering if there is anywhere else like this that isn't in Vacaville. I'm not interested in horses. I'll look into El Sobrante, thank you.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Zoning for horses doesn't mean having a horse or even neighbors with horses... it does mean larger minimum parcel sizes... especially within city limits.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
with houses in skyline and hillcrest estates being next to chabot regional park with 90 miles of trails that area of oakland actually has horses and is not just zoned for horses.

Metropolitan Horsemen's Association

The Metropolitan Horsemen’s Association speaks for the equestrian community in public meetings. We interact with other groups and agencies to promote the equestrian presence in the East Bay.
Monthly meetings are on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, at 7:00 p.m., at the MHA Clubhouse, located at 10060 Skyline Blvd, Oakland, CA 94602. Phone: (510) 531-5449; Fax: (510) 530-4584
Set in Joaquin Miller Park in the beautiful Oakland Hills, MHA offers competitors a friendly and encouraging environment with horse shows that are structured to help green to advanced horses and riders have a successful show experience. The Sequoia Arena has great footing, friendly and helpful MHA volunteers, and plentiful shade during the summer heat.

and oh yeah 20 minutes from downtown sf.

actually it may be better if not too many people know about the equestrian lifestyle in the oakland/eastbay hills.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM

224 posts, read 605,129 times
Perhaps south, Gilroy area maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland