Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times

Advertisements

Okay, so here's the deal. I sold a friend of a friend my old car back in March of this year. The night I sold it, I gave him the title in exchange for cash and I mailed in the transfer of sale info to the DMV that night. A few months later I get a notice for a parking ticket that's about a block from where this guy lives. I email him to let him know and he agrees to pay it. Several weeks later I get another notice in the mail saying the fine has increased. Again, I email the guy to let him know and he says he will take care of it. It's now October and the fine is now $160, I've been turned over to collections and the guy isn't returning my calls or emails. DMV doesn't seem to care at all and the parking agency says they require proof from DMV. WTF do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 05:22 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Do nothing!
The DMV adds the ticket and fees to the registration and he will have to pay then.
You should have made a copy of the transfer before mailing it in. But they still have the burden of proof that you still own the car before placing a lien on you. And any lien would be on the vehicle.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Okay, so here's the deal. I sold a friend of a friend my old car back in March of this year. The night I sold it, I gave him the title in exchange for cash and I mailed in the transfer of sale info to the DMV that night. A few months later I get a notice for a parking ticket that's about a block from where this guy lives. I email him to let him know and he agrees to pay it. Several weeks later I get another notice in the mail saying the fine has increased. Again, I email the guy to let him know and he says he will take care of it. It's now October and the fine is now $160, I've been turned over to collections and the guy isn't returning my calls or emails. DMV doesn't seem to care at all and the parking agency says they require proof from DMV. WTF do I do?
This happened to me! On the back of the ticket, there was a form that said "if you no longer own this car.." and it had some fields to fill out so they could forward to the current owner. If that doesn't work, you can go to DMV and request a copy of your change of ownership form, then mail it to the DPT with your ticket. Make sure you send it with a post office receipt notification.

Keep in mind that none of this may work, and you may have to take a copy of your transfer of ownership to the DPT and show them in person that you have transferred your car since it's impossible to get ahold of an actual person at the DPT office. I didn't go this far and ended up just paying off someone else's parking tickets just to get it over with, but I was also slower in sending off my transfer of ownership form so I felt that it would have been too hard to prove.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I had to get my State Representative involved a couple of years ago... the tickets continued to escalate and I needed to get it settled.

Luckily, I had my proof of mailing from the Post Office and a copy of the buyer's info... I actually received a letter on State Stationary clearing my name.

The last two cars I sold, the deal was done at the CSAA office where I'm a member. The transfer was completed at the window and the deal was done.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,114 times
I have no idea how the window stickers are in San Francisco but I had this same situation happen to me in NY. We had (at the time) just the one window sticker which covered both registration and inspection. When I called to inform them that the car was sold (I was getting many tickets intended for the buyer) I was informed that the cops issued the tickets from the sticker in the window. It took a long time to get it cleared. I learned my lesson though - if you sell the vehicle no matter what paper proof you have - scrape off the window stickers before the vehicle changes hands. If the buyer gets pulled over then he/she can explain to the officer about the purchase and show the paperwork to the officer.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 47,295 times
my boyfriend barrowed my car, but unknow reason never came back, and i find out a month later he sold the car, and signed my name to pink slip withiout my permission.. then months later i get a parking ticket..is the car still in my name? if so can i legally go take it back if i know where about area it is?? can he be charged for grand theft???

Stressed,,Lisa

Old 10-24-2014, 05:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedlisa View Post
my boyfriend barrowed my car, but unknow reason never came back, and i find out a month later he sold the car, and signed my name to pink slip withiout my permission.. then months later i get a parking ticket..is the car still in my name? if so can i legally go take it back if i know where about area it is?? can he be charged for grand theft???

Stressed,,Lisa
Lawyer

Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
It won't help you now but there is a form called Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. This should be filled out by YOU whenever you sell a car.

From the CA DMV website. You can even do this online.

How does the notice of transfer and release of liability protect me?

When properly completed, and the information is recorded by DMV, liability for parking and/or traffic violations and civil litigation, resulting from operation after the date of sale, becomes the responsibility of the subsequent purchaser (Vehicle Code §5602). Additionally, when the NRL information is received by DMV, and the vehicle record is marked, no further vehicle registration renewal notices will be mailed to you for the reported vehicle.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:31 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
This thread is FOUR years old. Anyway, the first was reply was 100% correct. The ticket went away when the buyer had to register the car, although the DMV and parking agencies were completely worthless and unhelpful.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 48,019 times
This guy has great advices, he explain the OP issues in his youtube video, checkout
Car sale Guru shares best tips how to sell your used Car or Truck in America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWgTTEodhY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland