Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:33 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I like the neat homes and quietness of that area. Great suggestion!

Im sure your referring to San Leandro right? San Lorenzo doesnt have hills.

Anyway, San Leandro gets such a bad rap on this website, its hilarious.

When people make these blanket generalizations, I wonder if they've ever actually been there?
but...but...San Leandro borders OAKLAND.

OAK.

LAND.

We should expect nothing less than massed zombie rape squads and battles between Snake Plissken and hordes or murderous prison inmates. That is the reality of the situation on the streets of the city of Oaklandsanleandrohaywardrichmondpittsburgeastbay.

I thought everyone knew this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:01 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
I like the neat homes and quietness of that area. Great suggestion!

Im sure your referring to San Leandro right? San Lorenzo doesnt have hills.

Anyway, San Leandro gets such a bad rap on this website, its hilarious.

When people make these blanket generalizations, I wonder if they've ever actually been there?

San Leandro Neighborhoods by Average Household Income, 2008
Marina Vista $122,915
Bay-O-Vista $120,783
Heron Bay $110,090
Robert $101,393
Portofino $97,586
Estudillo Estates $97,576
Bonaire $91,617
Rock Quarry $86,900
Country Hospital $84,103
Davis West $80,913
Northeast San Leandro $80,431
Creekside $80,421
West San Leandro $79,156
Broadmoor $78,102
Manor $77,680
Bancroft $77,265
Eastshore $76,366
Washington Square $76,298
Mulford $75,396
Marina Faire $75,305
Best Manor $73,649
Assumption Parish $71,077
Marina $68,872
Davis $68,739
Washington Manor $68,287
Hillcrest Knolls $68,219
North San Leandro $68,026
Bal $67,964
Springlake $67,369
Somar $67,304
Floresta Gardens $65,934
Hollywood $65,411
Halcyon District $64,695
Cherrywood $63,801
Mulford Gardens $62,992
Little Alaska $62,711
Bayfair $61,222
Huntington Park $59,698
Sandpiper $59,586
Lakeside Village $59,403
Central San Leandro $58,091
Downtown San Leandro $58,059
Laqua Manor $57,768
Farelly Pond $55,169
Mission Bay $44,446

Heron Bay is actually on the bay front, so is Portofino, Estudillo Estates is a very established upscale neighborhood in the flatlands of San Leandro. Pretty much all of Bancroft Av as it drives through SL is nice.

I like the neighborhoods along Bancroft Av, very clean, very neat, very quiet.

There are plenty of better than decent areas in San Leandro, but riding the BART train isnt going to reveal that.
Yea I meant san leandro. San Lorenzo is even worse. Though it is odd that san lorenzo has dumpier houses but a better high school (arroyo hs).

One of my best friends lives in Washington Mannor. He inherited the house from his grandfather. Its a perfect example of the decline of san leandro. It was once a proud middle class neighborhood. Now brown lawns, rental scared properties, norte affiliated gang graffitti, and illegals living 3-4 families to a single family house. Its sad.

My guess would be that it gets a bad rap, despite its suburban construct, is due to out of control gangs, drugs, and crummy schools. Dont get me wrong, it is a step up from Oakland or Hayward. But its pretty much a downscale city in every sense . Its just another example of the low quality of life in middle class communites in the bay area.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
but...but...San Leandro borders OAKLAND.

OAK.

LAND.

We should expect nothing less than massed zombie rape squads and battles between Snake Plissken and hordes or murderous prison inmates. That is the reality of the situation on the streets of the city of Oaklandsanleandrohaywardrichmondpittsburgeastbay.

I thought everyone knew this?

LOL...

Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
One of my best friends lives in Washington Mannor. He inherited the house from his grandfather. Its a perfect example of the decline of san leandro. It was once a proud middle class neighborhood. Now brown lawns, rental scared properties, norte affiliated gang graffitti, and illegals living 3-4 families to a single family house. Its sad.
Sadly this is true. I attended SL upper education schools in the late 80's early 90's and it was not that bad then, even the continuation school was safe. It was no Tri Valley of course, but Arroyo and SL were decent. SLZ always sucked. But now SL schools are pretty bad. There are a few good elementary schools BUT they feed into Middle Schools that aren't so hot and end up at SL which is currently bad.

I would be happy to live in these areas as I have known them my whole life, but the schools are just soo bad I have no interest in my children making friends with future hoodrats, even if I do private, the neighborhood kids are still around.

Washington Manor, Floresta, Estudillo were all nice areas, still are if you don't have kids and don't care about that sort of thing.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Sadly this is true. I attended SL upper education schools in the late 80's early 90's and it was not that bad then, even the continuation school was safe. It was no Tri Valley of course, but Arroyo and SL were decent. SLZ always sucked. But now SL schools are pretty bad. There are a few good elementary schools BUT they feed into Middle Schools that aren't so hot and end up at SL which is currently bad.

I would be happy to live in these areas as I have known them my whole life, but the schools are just soo bad I have no interest in my children making friends with future hoodrats, even if I do private, the neighborhood kids are still around.

Washington Manor, Floresta, Estudillo were all nice areas, still are if you don't have kids and don't care about that sort of thing.
Exactly. As much as a few elements on this board would like to say anyone who points out things wrong with an area is "trolling", the reality is this still does not change facts on the ground.

You can go on youtube and you can watch san leandro city council meetings where parents are freaking out at the council members because their kids have to go to dublin and pleasanton just to see a moive or go shopping.

San Leandro was getting real bad there for a sec with all those cannibus clubs on east 14th. They were really ghetto about how they operated and they were more or less like crack houses, complete with armed robberies. San leandro finally got BUSH and the DEA to shut it all down when they showed how close to the schools all of this was

I think san leandro has been able to hold on longer because of the old timers who could not afford to leave and still live there. But since most of them empty nested quite some time ago, they really don't care as much that the schools have given way. Its just kind of a graduated decline over there.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I think pretty much all Bay Area public schools are pretty crappy. It is really unfortunate. Our schools should be a lot better. Sadly, the public schools in South Carolina fund more stuff than CA. Many teachers do not push the students to aspire high, focusing on merely getting by. My sister heard in her high school days in Dublin. "Why bother with the Ivy League, UCs are just as good."

Teachers regularly called Las Positas Community College "Los Potential."

We should be able to do a lot better.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I don't think San Lorenzo ever "sucked". It was just a quiet, bedroom community of small and mostly well kept houses. I was born and raised there and bought my first home and had my kids there. We eventually moved to the Tri-Valley becasue we could afford something newer and nicer, but I still have family there. Between Hayward, San Leandro and San Lorenzo I'd pick San Lorenzo in a heart beat.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think pretty much all Bay Area public schools are pretty crappy. It is really unfortunate. Our schools should be a lot better. Sadly, the public schools in South Carolina fund more stuff than CA. Many teachers do not push the students to aspire high, focusing on merely getting by. My sister heard in her high school days in Dublin. "Why bother with the Ivy League, UCs are just as good."

I have yet to see any lucre from South Carolina Schools that would indicate that they are better than California Schools, at all.

I keep pointing to a personal experience. My cousin and his wife moved back to Dallas, Texas(she's from there) for among other reasons, give their kids a better education. They all attended Sequoia Elementary School in Upper Dimond(Oakland) and shortly after they enrolled in public school there in Texas, my cousin's wife soon learned that her kids( Grade 5, Grade 3, Grade 2 and Grand 1) were all way ahead of the Texan counterparts and were each among the top students in their respective classes.

She posted something about it on our family website and I just rolled my eyes(in private of course-LOL)

And for the record, UC Berkeley puts most of the Ivy League to shame.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
I have yet to see any lucre from South Carolina Schools that would indicate that they are better than California Schools, at all.

I keep pointing to a personal experience. My cousin and his wife moved back to Dallas, Texas(she's from there) for among other reasons, give their kids a better education. They all attended Sequoia Elementary School in Upper Dimond(Oakland) and shortly after they enrolled in public school there in Texas, my cousin's wife soon learned that her kids( Grade 5, Grade 3, Grade 2 and Grand 1) were all way ahead of the Texan counterparts and were each among the top students in their respective classes.

She posted something about it on our family website and I just rolled my eyes(in private of course-LOL)

And for the record, UC Berkeley puts most of the Ivy League to shame.
Lower middle class - upper middle class schools in SC do better than middle class ones here. I was surprised! Of course, there are lots of rural schools in SC, so that's a different story. I am sure those are no match for CA schools, they are a lot more like urban high schools here.

I went to Cal, so I am a UC proponent (and I made it in from out of state!). My sister found that her teachers thought UCs and schools in CA were the only good options, and weren't very aware of any out of state options. Or even in-state private schools. It was either community college, CSU or UC. And that is unfortunate. I use my sister as a bellwether, since we attended different high schools. The level of achievement was much lower here than there. Even though here school was more well-off, and parents were more educated, fewer students went off to college. In SC, you can anticipate Pleasanton, San Ramon or Palo Alto student outcomes in areas where students are mainly from low-middle class backgrounds. Here that isn't really true. I lived in an area that was lower than Concord socio-economically, and 65-70% of my classmates went to college or some form of school after high school. Many people were 1st generation college students.

That's why I give SC schools bonus points. The schools had more AP and IB classes than virtually every school in the Bay Area. Chatting with my classmates who still live in SC, those schools are still tops in the state, and they've opened 2 more top tier high schools in the area (Think Palo Alto High level) since I finished.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

About 20% of the top 100 public schools in the country are in California, including these in the Bay Area:

Lynbrook High School, San Jose - #98
Saratoga High School, Saratoga - #93
Miramonte High School, Orinda - #89
Campolindo High School, Moraga - #86
Palo Alto High School, Palo Alto - #83
Piedmont High School, Piedmont - #73
Monta Vista High School, Cupertino - #70
Henry M. Gunn High School, Palo Alto - #67
Mission San Jose High School, Fremont - #36
Lowell High School, San Francisco - #28

I only see one South Carolina school on that list, Academic Magnet at #12.

source

Anecdotally, I could also tell you that my school (which isn't on this list) didn't pooh pooh Ivy Leagues, and several of my friends ended up matriculating at Ivy League and other prestigious schools on the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland