Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 AM

4 posts, read 87,508 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Alameda soon. I've looked on-line at rentals in the following locations: Bay Farm Island, Shoreline Dr, Broadway & Tilden, Webster & Central, and Lincoln & Chestnut. Basically all over Alameda and I'm not sure where to focus. Can anyone familiar with the area tell me which neighborhoods to avoid and which are fairly good to prime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 PM

28 posts, read 186,028 times
There are no real bad areas in Alameda, and overall crime is very low. In general the east side of the island is more upscale than the west side. Grand STreet is typically the dividing line between the east and west side - at least in my mind. Bay Farm island is nice but very quiet and a bit isolated because it is not on the main island.

For rentals, there a lot of apartments and condos along Shoreline drive which runs along the beach with great views of the bay and San Francisco and there are many apartments in that area with a nice walking/bicycling path along the shore and a park nearby not to mention a large shopping center with a Safeway and Trader Joes. Broadway is generally a nice area.

I also like Santa Clara Street which runs deadcenter the length of the Island.

Lincoln street and the Webster street area west to the old navy base are less desireable but cheaper.

The fernside and gold coast neighborhoods are very nice but there's few rentals there.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 PM

Oaktownchris - I appreciate the info. I looked at a few rentals today and I think your assessment is dead-on. I quickly realized that I did not want to live West of Grand. Now I just need to decide between Shoreline and Santa Clara & Walnut just a few blocks from Park. It's nice to have options. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Either choice would be fine. All thing being equal I'd go for Shoreline - quieter, close to the beach. And to put in a good word for the west of Grand area, that is where the Gold Coast is, home of many of the nicest biggest old homes in Alameda - a great area by any standards. However, it is not a rental area. For rentals, generally east of Grand is better. (Note that much of Shoreline is also west of Grand and is a great rental area.)

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 PM

I drove through the Gold Coast area, just beautiful! When friends come to visit I plan on making it part of my Alameda tour. Like you said, those just aren't the kinds of places to rent to the likes of me or anyone else for that matter. Must be nice though. Back to reality, I'm leaning towards Shoreline. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 PM

17 posts, read 90,853 times
We used to live on Shoreline in Alameda. Very noisy street and hard to find parking during the Summer when everyone comes from everyone to go to Crown Beach. Also, if you live on Shoreline and have sliding glass doors facing the Beach, get used to having sand or grit in your living room. But I will say, my husband loved the VIEWS, both to The City and to the females sunbathing on the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirlx View Post
Oaktownchris - I appreciate the info. I looked at a few rentals today and I think your assessment is dead-on. I quickly realized that I did not want to live West of Grand. Now I just need to decide between Shoreline and Santa Clara & Walnut just a few blocks from Park. It's nice to have options. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM

93 posts, read 234,280 times
Hi. I was looking at the map and I couldn't find Grand Street. Where is it???

Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Center of town.

grand, alameda, ca - Google Maps

Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatmoving View Post
But I will say, my husband loved the VIEWS, both to The City and to the females sunbathing on the beach.
that's it then. caligirlx will not move there then ....

Old 04-01-2008, 01:49 PM

Over the past few weeks I have come to know Alameda well, actually it only took 2 afternoons to learn all the streets and areas. You can get across town in 5 minutes. Like oaktownchris said, west of Grand isn't bad, it's just relative to the rest of Alameda. Alameda in comparison to the rest of the East bay is one of the best places to live. I am moving to Shoreline great 1 bedroom for $1200. I'm not on the water, so I'll be able to avoid the irritations you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland