Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times

Advertisements

lol, yes that sounds like a scam. How much is the rent listed? Probably some stupidly low number like $800 a month for a place that if it actually existed would go for $4000 a month, just so they can

Never sign a lease without meeting someone in person--certainly don't do anything by mail, that's gotta be a scam. If a landlord is for real they'll get a property manager or a relative to meet with you if they are out of town.

There are some scammers that I've heard of that will meet you in front of the building and give you a key in exchange for a deposit, then change the locks. I'm not really sure what you do if you got scammed like that, I guess tell the police. Any prices that are unrealistically low are probably a scam, like studios going for $400 a month or 1br's going for $700 a month. Or if they don't list a price at all or show a picture of some white picket house that is plainly in some suburb that they claim is in Nob Hill. Or if you see multiple listings of the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM

21 posts, read 34,759 times
Exactly what I was thinking. Anyone that goes into that much detail about their "honest" personality is more than likely hiding something. The rent seemed reasonable for the area, but thats about it. I do plan on flying out soon, and just wanted an idea of what to expect, what places look like, difficulty obtaining said place, etc. Time to book a flight.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Hmm I do need some extra income. Maybe I should try that.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM

I think robbing a 7-11 would be more gratifying.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM

115 posts, read 327,116 times
Shady. Very shady.

Here is a place that has pictures. However prices start at $895 and sq footage starts at 250!!
http://www.1474sacramento.com/proper...page_name=home

Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 PM

why is it that every time I try to contact someone via craigslist about renting their place they seem to have moved to Africa or China for an "unknown" period of time?! Seriously, this has happened 4 times now. Are there any other online resources anyone has successfully used to find an apartment?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
A few friends rent from Lapham. I think they are lazy about updating their website though. For example, in the building my sister lives in, they have steadily renovated and upgraded their apartments. They might be slacking on the pictures. And they don't post all inventory. It is better to call. THE LAPHAM COMPANY - Serving Bay Area Renters & Property Owners Since 1911

They have stuff in most Oakland neighborhoods and signs up everywhere. I haven't paid attention to what's in other parts of the bay, but this is a good resource.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 AM

so, now that I have an idea of what housing myself and some disgruntled cats is going to cost (thanks to all of you and your insider help!), can anyone give me an idea budget wise of what transportation/groceries/movies (I love movies)/anything else vital that I may be missing, will cost? Boyfriend is convinced everything is going to work out, and it will, but I like to be prepared. Blame girl scouts or perhaps just plain paranoia.
Thanks all!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
i say live in Mission and have you consider getting a bike? it's actually very common in Mission. you won't need any public transportation. Mission is pretty centrally located meaning you have a 3.5 miles radius to get from there to any end of SF. 3.5 miles is so easy with a bike. there are tons of amenities in that neighborhood and a BART station. that place is golden.

Last edited by mini_cute; 04-12-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaffism View Post
so, now that I have an idea of what housing myself and some disgruntled cats is going to cost (thanks to all of you and your insider help!), can anyone give me an idea budget wise of what transportation/groceries/movies (I love movies)/anything else vital that I may be missing, will cost? Boyfriend is convinced everything is going to work out, and it will, but I like to be prepared. Blame girl scouts or perhaps just plain paranoia.
Thanks all!
I don't know where you live now (I can't remember if you've said) so nobody can compare prices. For myself, honestly rent is really the only major difference in cost of living compared with anywhere else in the US. Groceries are a little bit more expensive than elsewhere but not by a lot, I think prices have gone up in other parts of the US in the last several years while they've stayed pretty much the same in California. Whenever I go home to Florida, where groceries used to be really cheap, prices are almost as much as in the Bay Area. Sales tax is 9% in SF which eats a bit into your budget but not by a whole lot unless you're buying expensive stuff. Getting a monthly pass for Muni is $60 or $70 depending on if you want access to BART within SF. Using BART from the burbs is pretty damn expensive and really adds up. Going to a first-run movie is about $10 which should be pretty similar to other parts of the US, maybe a couple dollars more. Going out to eat is a bit more expensive than in cheaper parts of the US but not by a lot.

Also something that evens things out is that your electrical and gas bill will just about always be really low. You don't need air conditioning at all in SF so that means your electric bill is around $35 rather than over $100 a month in summer, and in winter you don't need to use a lot of heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland