Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
I'm wondering, why do (good) wine makers only sell wine in large wine bottles. Is it taboo to sell wine by the 1/2 bottle?

Wine doesn't taste the same a day after opened.
Wine improves with age. The older I get, the more I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM

187 posts, read 492,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
You can buy a gadget that vacuum seals wine bottles - removing the oxygen from the bottle before recorking it will greatly extend the life of the wine.
I've got one of those. Doesn't work. I get a great seal, and opening the bottle the next day, you can tell the seal is still there from the sound of air rushing into the bottle. The taste of the wine has already changed. It's quite noticeable.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,715 times
Some wine will sit better longer than others. White wine tends to change the most rapidly. Some of the heavier, higher alcohol wines will do better- like an old vine Zinfandel. Also- its important that before you open a bottle, keep it laying down on its side. Otherwise the cork will dry out and eventually cause the wine to go bad due to minute amounts of air getting in through the cork. You want to keep the bottom of the cork submerged.

Most wine these days contain sulfites. As such most will only keep for 3-5 years max.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,699,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
I've got one of those. Doesn't work. I get a great seal, and opening the bottle the next day, you can tell the seal is still there from the sound of air rushing into the bottle. The taste of the wine has already changed. It's quite noticeable.
Wine is supposed to change over time, is it a change for the worse or just a change?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM

187 posts, read 492,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Wine improves with age. The older I get, the more I like it.
Me too!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
That's why I never understood why boxed wine technology was so looked down upon. It's a sealed bladder that no oxygen gets into at all...... and the wine stays fine.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's why I never understood why boxed wine technology was so looked down upon. It's a sealed bladder that no oxygen gets into at all...... and the wine stays fine.
It's really a traditional mind-set. Just like screw-top caps vs. corks.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's why I never understood why boxed wine technology was so looked down upon.
Stigma attached to box wine, just like screw-top: 'Til very recently, all these were bottom-of-the-barrel gutrot. You can buy any number of decent box wines these days, but you're likely to get made fun of by a few people at your party for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland