Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times

Advertisements

It seems the Federal Government is forcing section 8 housing down the throats of Marin county residents, all in the name of diversity.

Report: Marin is the Bay Area's least diverse county : On The Block: SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Yeah I heard that on Armstrong and Getty the other morning. Bunch of BS IMO

Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
It seems the Federal Government is forcing section 8 housing down the throats of Marin county residents, all in the name of diversity.

Pure idiocy. This is what you get from big government ...
Violation of 1964 Civil Rights Act and two other anti-discrimination statutes.
WTF ??? LOL

Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm looking forward to the day when "low cost housing" and "minority" don't go hand in hand. It's almost as if people want to keep it that way huh?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Yeah, that same crap has been forced on Irvine, too, by the Southern CA Association of Governments. I guess the governments bureaucrats want to spread the crime and poverty around.

I mean, what next, they going to do this to Newport Coast? Bel Air? Look, I grew up as a working class kid, but there is no constitutional right for you to live in a neighborhood you ordinarily can't afford. I mean, I would love to live in Newport Coast, too, but I don't have the readies for it. And that is just life. Make more money or deal with it.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm looking forward to the day when "low cost housing" and "minority" don't go hand in hand.
They don't in West Hollywood, which refuses federal funds for its low income housing program which as a result is limited to existing residents.

If Marin cities want low income housing to not affect their demographics they should also refuse federal funds.

Quote:
It's almost as if people want to keep it that way huh?
Seems like it.

I sense here there's some attempt to subvert Marin's very strict zoning laws at work.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post

It's not section 8 housing but actually zoning some housing which is affordable. Tons of cities love to just zone luxury homes and refuse to accommodate anyone who can't afford seven figures to plunk down on a home so obviously there is an institutional bias at work there. Marin County takes it to a whole new level though because nearly the whole county is zoned that way.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Marin County is 25% non-white or Hispanic. Its not like the county is solidly white.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
Awwww.

Dat's sooooo sweet! SWEET!

Sure! Import, say oh, 100,000 of the poorest minorities with the worst drug / criminal / welfare pasts DIRECTLY INTO MARIN COUNTY! FORCE THE RICH IN MARIN COUNTY TO HOUSE THIS 100,000 po folks!!!! DO IT!!!

AWESOME!

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT! Marin County DESERVES IT!!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Look what I just found :
http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/cd/m...l/ai/aich4.pdf

Approximately 2,890 low-income assisted housing units sponsored by non-profit organizations exist in Marin County.
For example, the Hilarita Apartments, a 102-unit
subsidized apartment complex in Tiburon, and the Shelter Hill Apartments, a 75-unit complex in
Mill Valley, are currently owned entirely by non-profits.
Marin County has an additional
inventory of 274 inclusionary rental units, 758 below market rate (“BMR”) ownership units, 573
units of public housing, and 2,269 Section 8 housing choice vouchers.

-----
Current Policies for Placement of Low-Income Residents
In its Affordable Housing Inventory of 2008, the Marin County Community
Development Agency collected the following racial and ethnic data for 2,079 residents in
affordable rental housing:
In public housing specifically, “of the 1,220 residents for whom ethnicity was provided,
47 percent are White, 41 percent are African-American, 11 percent are Asian, and 1 percent are
American-Indian. Hispanic ethnicity is counted as a separate category than race, and 17 percent
of public housing residents identify as Hispanic, close to the countywide percentage of 13
percent. Ethnicity data has not been collected about home owners.

More than half of Section 8 voucher recipients are non-Hispanic Whites. Although the
majority of residents of elderly and/or disabled public housing are White, the majority of
residents of public housing in Marin City are Black. Hispanics are statistically underrepresented
in Marin City public housing

Rules :
http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/CD/m...Ordinances.pdf

So, what's the problem? Seems like daddy govt. is just being a bully

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-03-2011 at 02:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland