Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

That's decent, but Claremont is a busy street. You are also around the corner from the DMV and Sunday famer's market. Claremont is typically really easy to park on though. Good location, listen carefully for highway and street noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM

10 posts, read 16,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
^
should be fine, though the highway will be a bit noisy. You're near the cool stuff on Telegraph by 51st like Genova Deli and Lanesplitter Pizza and some other shops and restaurants, and you're pretty close to BART.

I don't think anyone refers to a "Shafter neighborhood," though it pops up on map sites like Mapquest or Google Maps which I think use outdated terms for some reason. I think that people in North Oakland would consider it to be where the northern Temescal meets Rockridge's southwest corner. I think people consider anything north of 51st to be Rockridge.
Ill definitely check it for the noise. Good area as far as safety goes?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
I live near there, it's a fine area as far as safety. There's sketchy guys wandering up and down Telegraph just south of there like near Lanesplitter, I think they're maybe drug dealers, but most people there are students, white hipsters, middle class black people, Ethiopian immigrants, Koreans, etc.

If you can I would look further east from Telegraph just to get away from the highway/BART noise, also highways bring a lot of particulate soot and dirt from cars. I think you'd be safe around Claremont though you'd want your apartment to be secured against break-ins, Rockridge is surrounded on three sides by crappier areas with criminals, break-ins in Rockridge are common. Make sure an apartment has bars on the windows if they're near the ground level, and a secure door.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't fret View Post
Ill definitely check it for the noise. Good area as far as safety goes?
Check the pricing, sometimes landlords over there try to bill it as Rockridge, so you'll overpay. Pricing should be between Temescal and Rockridge pricing, but closer to Temescal.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 16,563 times
The pricing is actually why Im interested in this area. It's extremely affordable compared to other area I've looked at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland