Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 AM

5 posts, read 9,142 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

My partner and I are looking into moving up from San Diego to San Francisco, and I'm having a hard time finding a place to live that fits our requirements.

- Need a house (not a townhouse, condo, or apt)
- Need a decent sized yard
- Big dog friendly (we have two Boxers)
- Must have 2+ bedrooms, and at least 2 full bathrooms
- 1200 sq. ft or larger

As far as location - I would be working in either SoMa or Palo Alto...and he would be in Redwood City. We would not want to commute more than 30 minutes by train, but we could also drive as needed.

For our budget, we're hoping to pay $2500 - $3000. I have been looking at San Mateo, Burlingame, Palo Alto, Foster City, Mountain View. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Just so you know, people here make a distinction between what is and isn't San Francisco. We don't call the entire area "San Francisco." We call it the Bay Area and then distinguish between different parts of it, like the East Bay, Peninsula, South Bay, etc.

Anyway SOMA and Palo Alto are pretty far apart. I think you need to figure out which you'd be working in, then you could move closer to one or the other. San Mateo County is one of the most expensive parts of the US but I'm not really familiar with the price of renting a house there so all I can really say is that people here often list Redwood City as having some nice parts that are relatively affordable compared with the rest of SMC.

Palo Alto is expensive but I know that it is 35 minutes on Caltrain from the 4th and King station in SF if you take the Baby Bullet train.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

81 posts, read 170,622 times
If you want to be halfway between SF and Palo Alto, I would suggest San Mateo, Burlingame or Foster City. If you move further South (Palo Alto or Mountain View) the commute into San Francisco will be a nightmare. Have you considered Belmont? It sounds like it might be a fit for you with 2 dogs. It's in the hills off highway 92 between the two major highways (101 and 280). Just a disclaimer that these cities are basically suburbia. They have 'cute' downtown areas and decent restaurants and shopping but it is nothing like San Francisco. In San Francisco, Noe Valley might have what you're looking for. The commute to Redwood City is doable, as right around that area is where you begin to get the bottleneck into Silicon Valley.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,142 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. Belmont looks nice! We don't really want to live in the city - we'd prefer someplace more relaxing but still walking distance from 'stuff to do'.

I'm coming up for the weekend next weekend and we're going to drive around and look at neighborhoods, so any other suggestions for exact places to drive around would be great! Thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 AM

13 posts, read 40,658 times
Parts of Bernal Heights might fit the bill as well.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
San Carlos is very nice, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland