Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,866,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Whenever I hear people complain about being too "politically correct", I often wonder what they really mean.
It's a silly term that popped up in the '80's when calling everybody amd everything right-wingers didn't care for "communist" went out of vogue.

"PC" seems to be the knee-jerk comeback for those who don't like being told that throwing the N-word and other epithets around is not appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
"PC" seems to be the knee-jerk comeback for those who don't like being told that throwing the N-word and other epithets around is not appreciated.
...or being told that "illegal aliens" is pejorative and they shall henceforth be referred to as "undocumented workers," even if they have no jobs, and idiocy of that nature.

A Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation that rehabilitates no one unless they die in custody and one that has a 70% recidivism rate.

A state and country in which "he/she had a hard childhood" has replaced the Twinkie defense.

Children with issues now have "special needs" and children who flunk classes for whatever reason are passed into the next grade and graduate from high school as functional (barely) illiterates lest they be "tainted and painted" as the no-work dummies they are.

Children in organized sports are given awards and trophys for being losers lest their tender psychies become irreparably harmed.

The state bends over backwards to provide drivers tests, ballot information and services in dozens of languages perpetuating and enabling immigrants lack of assimilation at great cost to the taxpayers

It's "right think" and "right speak" a la Geroge Orwells 1984 and if you haven't read it, you should or, if a recent California high school graduate, find someone literate to read it to you.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,433,199 times
Quote:
or being told that "illegal aliens" is pejorative and they shall henceforth be referred to as "undocumented workers," even if they have no jobs, and idiocy of that nature.
ok, in fairness I can agree with this.
Quote:
A Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation that rehabilitates no one unless they die in custody and one that has a 70% recidivism rate.
again agreed.
Quote:
A state and country in which "he/she had a hard childhood" has replaced the Twinkie defense
Don't know what this means.
Quote:
Children with issues now have "special needs" and children who flunk classes for whatever reason are passed into the next grade and graduate from high school as functional (barely) illiterates lest they be "tainted and painted" as the no-work dummies they are.
Completely agree with this one.
Quote:
Children in organized sports are given awards and trophys for being losers lest their tender psychies become irreparably harmed.
Totally agree with this one too. It's likely why some shoot up the schools for the same type of "harassment" you and I dealt with. They can't deal with hardship if they've been sheltered from it.
Quote:
The state bends over backwards to provide drivers tests, ballot information and services in dozens of languages perpetuating and enabling immigrants lack of assimilation at great cost to the taxpayers
Sad but true.
Quote:
It's "right think" and "right speak" a la Geroge Orwells 1984 and if you haven't read it, you should or, if a recent California high school graduate, find someone literate to read it to you.
A lot of what was in 1984 seems to becoming to pass.

I've realized that outside of most political things, you and I agree on a lot.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I agree that this is the case with some people, and when it is i think it's pretty easy to pick up on their thinly veiled racism/xenophobia. With people like that, if you call them out on their racism or whatever else it is that's offensive, suddenly you are "too PC", and you get the following comment: "it's not REALLY offensive, you're just a sissy who can't tell it like it is!!!". With some others, it is a legitimate complaint, because some people are just way too uptight...but i agree that too many people negatively use the term "politically correct" to try and justify their own insulting opinions, whatever they may be.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Don't know what this means.
Dan White was the San Francisco supervisor who assassinated Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978, at City Hall. White's defense was that he ate too many Twinkies that day and was on a sugar jag. As a result, he was convicted of manslaughter rather than murder in the deaths of Milk and Moscone. It's been known, rather derisively, as the "Twinkie Defense" ever since; now applied to any outlandish bunch of nonsense introduced by the defense in a trial. But then again, San Francisco jurors bought it. Hmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I've realized that outside of most political things, you and I agree on a lot.
Scary, isn't it?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,433,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Dan White was the San Francisco supervisor who assassinated Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk in 1978, at City Hall. White's defense was that he ate too many Twinkies that day and was on a sugar jag. As a result, he was convicted of manslaughter rather than murder in the deaths of Milk and Moscone. It's been known, rather derisively, as the "Twinkie Defense" ever since; now applied to any outlandish bunch of nonsense introduced by the defense in a trial. But then again, San Francisco jurors bought it. Hmmm!

Scary, isn't it?
Not really that scary. On these types of social things I've always thought that there has been a systematic pussification of our society. OTOH, rah makes a good point as well and until you explained the way you used that term I wondered. Anyway yes, outside of politics we do agree more often

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,645,057 times
Quote:
The "irresistable impulse" defense (which includes the "Twinkie Defense") is no longer recognized in California specifically because of the Dan White case.

Think that White being a politician and an ex-cop might have had something to do with him getting off easy?

BTW I agree with everything else you said.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,133,757 times
Quote:
Decidedly not if you're in the military.
Ridiculous statement. We honor our military families all around the bay. The bay was a huge military hub. Alameda naval air station, moffett field, the presidio, mare island, Travis afb, fort ord, camp parks, huge history here. Not our fault the govt closed up most of these places. I have family member and friends who worked at or lived on 6 of these places.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,133,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You spend too much time "hating" on the place/people/politics you left behind and not enough time enjoying your life wherever you moved to. Sounds like the Ozarks are quite dull since you're so drawn, like moths to a flame, to the Bay Area day after day.

Happiness and gratitude ultimately don't have anything to do with where people happened to be raised.
The Ozarks are a dump which is why my people left there 70 years ago. Those who stayed are bitter. SF Unfriendly? Try KC, OKC, and Little Rock. A bunch of judgmental rude people out there in the bible belt.

All we can do is avoid them.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,175,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
The Ozarks are a dump which is why my people left there 70 years ago. Those who stayed are bitter. SF Unfriendly? Try KC, OKC, and Little Rock. A bunch of judgmental rude people out there in the bible belt.

All we can do is avoid them.
Most of your Ozark ancestors joined others in Oakie migration west due to the dust bowl.

Speaking of Dust what happened to Setsuko? Did the mods finally realize he was City-Boy/Uptown Oakland reincarnate???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland