Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:31 PM

26 posts, read 98,283 times

Advertisements

It's definitely disheartening to hear that men in their '40s in the SF Bay area keep dating well into their forties instead of settling down. Maybe they'll regret it when they get their first heart attack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM

26 posts, read 98,283 times
Shy guys are fine by me. I can give them a lot of encouragement such as "I don't have anyone to go see XYZ movie with" and maybe they'll ask me out for a movie date ;-)

Old 05-17-2011, 03:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I........feel.........a disconnect.......

Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM

122 posts, read 587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by single_gal_siliconvalley View Post
I certainly have stepped out of my comfort zone, however it just didn't work. For instance, I went on a few dates with a white Christian evangelical man. He wouldn't stop talking about God and Jesus and heaven and hell. As much as I respect his right to believe whatever he wants, I was turned off by the way religion kept coming up in so many of our conversations.

I went out with a conservative gun-owner even though I consider myself moderate to liberal on most issues, and I was turned off by his die-hard conservative views about everything.

I went out with a motel manager who didn't read and couldn't talk about anything.

I went out with a musician who couldn't hold down a job.

An entrepreneur who had crazy amounts of debt and was about to file bankruptcy.

A perfectly intelligent, nice man with a job except that he had erectile dysfunction because of his Type 1 diabetes.

There aren't many single men out here to begin with, so it's amazing I even went out with so many guys in the last year.
I'll be relocated to SF soon, within a couple of months, actually.

I'm not politically conservative, but rather moderate (if not apolitical). I am a voracious reader, and both a musician and an artist with steady income and work outside of the arts. Negligible debt. No ED here; I'm a veritable Energizer jackhammerrabbit. Long and tall. Handsome, athletic, fit, but mainly because I have good DNA, not because I'm a gym rat. I can talk excessively or I can stay quiet as a mime -- depends on the situation, depends on you. I am well-educated and well-mannered. "Perfectly intelligent" -- nay, perfect & intelligent, if I do say so myself. :-0

Look me up. Maybe I'm the answer for you. Maybe you're the one for me. Who knows. We oughta grab a drink and find out. I’ve been looking around too, and haven’t found anyone worth dating in some time. Let’s take a chance; nothing to lose but a couple of hours on a first date. If it doesn’t work out, hey, no big deal -- just two adults sharing conversation and having drinks.

I’m calling you out. Call me.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
It's definitely disheartening to hear that men in their '40s in the SF Bay area keep dating well into their forties instead of settling down. Maybe they'll regret it when they get their first heart attack?
Yeah first you're complaining that guys in Atlanta are all married by 30, now you're upset that men in SF are still dating in their 40's. Are you yanking our chain or what?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM

500 posts, read 841,428 times
Quote:
Honestly, nothing's wrong with partying and perpetually single bachelor lifestyle.... it's just to each their own. If someone got their 1st heart attack, I feel they should only regret about all the parties they haven't attended I definitely wouldn't regret any time not spent stuck with someone... If you expect family-oriented lifestyle in East Bay or in SF, you're in for a big culture shock. I suggest you just start enjoying yourself, hobbies, parties... there's so much to life, much more than investing yourself into some man (who quite possibly can cheat on you after you gave him the best)--in modern world, with a lot of divorces, cheating and breakups--it's just a gamble, and many people think it's not worth it. I regret every minute not spent dancing and partying.... and making up for it every week and will do till i drop dead. I'm sure I'd get my heart attack pretty quick if I was married.... ;X just thinking of being trapped with someone gives me asthma attack almost.

Last edited by xani; 05-17-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
I have a family oriented lifestyle in the east bay now. Done with the singles scene in SF I had years ago. People change, neighborhoods evolve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
Honestly, nothing's wrong with partying and perpetually single bachelor lifestyle.... it's just to each their own. If someone got their 1st heart attack, I feel they should only regret about all the parties they haven't attended I definitely wouldn't regret any time not spent stuck with someone... If you expect family-oriented lifestyle in East Bay or in SF, you're in for a big culture shock. I suggest you just start enjoying yourself, hobbies, parties... there's so much to life, much more than investing yourself into some man (who quite possibly can cheat on you after you gave him the best)--in modern world, with a lot of divorces, cheating and breakups--it's just a gamble, and many people think it's not worth it. I regret every minute not spent dancing and partying.... and making up for it every week and will do till i drop dead. I'm sure I'd get my heart attack pretty quick if I was married.... ;X just thinking of being trapped with someone gives me asthma attack almost.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
We have many single female friends who are getting older with no mate in sight.

The Bay Area is apparently a frustrating place for singles these days.

It has completely changed in that regard vs my single days (pre middle 90s).

Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I have a family oriented lifestyle in the east bay now. Done with the singles scene in SF I had years ago. People change, neighborhoods evolve.
I dunno... if I came to the East Bay, it'd be only to Party in Oakland. Close to Berkeley parts are not family oriented. The rest is typical burbs, bleh

Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We have many single female friends who are getting older with no mate in sight.

The Bay Area is apparently a frustrating place for singles these days.

It has completely changed in that regard vs my single days (pre middle 90s).
One thing, life is very stressful there because of real estate prices--a lot of people are stressed out and rushed--not a good environment for relationships. People are often living on the edge, knowing they may have to relocate in a flash if economic conditions change or company goes out of business (tech companies being very dynamic) and live on edge knowing that tomorrow they may not be able to pay the mortgage for ridiculously overpriced home.... or know they eternally waste money feeding shark-renters in very high-rent area... this is a stress-breeding environment, which make many act neurotic and not being very good long term partners. Notice how animals in the zoos often refuse to mate.... the same thing is happening in Bay area many people being high-strung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland