Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM

26 posts, read 81,622 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 yr old who graduated college last year from the New England area and am looking to move out west with a roommate. I have friends in San Francisco which is why I was thinking about moving here. I have a couple applications out but might move regardless if I don't have a job. I'm wondering:

1.) How hard is it to find an apartment?

2.) Do you think I'll be able to find part time work while I look full time?

3.) Any good neighborhoods for young college age population?

4.) What can I expect to pay in rent for a 2 bedroom 1 bath?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
1) it can be hard and very competitive esp. if you are looking for cheaper places. Landlords hold viewings they advertise on CL and dozens if not hundreds of people show up and you have to fight to put down a deposit. Ask your friends who live in SF what it's like. It's easier outside of SF.

2) I don't know, the economy here sucks. It will probably be hard to find a landlord willing to rent to you without a job...but not having an apartment makes it hard to find a job.

3) the Mission if you like hipsters, the Marina or Nob Hill if you like a more yuppieish scene. There's not that many people in SF in their mid-20's anymore, they mostly can't afford it or something, most people in those areas are more like in their late 20's and 30's and they're pretty much the youngest areas in the city.

4) like $1900 at least and that would be in an area that's not great like the Inner Richmond. Maybe look into finding a big apartment with people that need roommates, like a 3 or 4 bedroom, and you can maybe get rooms for around $650-750 each.

If all else fails you can try living in the burbs, yes it's not as fun but SF is stupidly expensive considering the housing is crummy and it's a noisy and dirty city, and so it's not kind to people just starting out after college. Oakland is fun and you can get a 2br for more like $1200 in a nice area like the Temescal or Rockridge and you don't really need a car there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland