Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,407 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the SF forum, so looking forward to hear from as many of you.

I moved to NC two years ago and now thinking about returning to CA. I love the Bay Area and would love to be close enough to SF to spend a day. I work from home, so my commute is not an issue. I am thinking of either renting or buying, if I buy, which is what I prefer, my budget is $250,000 - $275,000 and I am not a condo person. I am looking for a nice safe area for me and my mom to live with a nice view or hills or the bay. I used to live in the Walnut Creek area and I don't want to go back there. I have been looking at posts about Fairfield, Vacaville and seems that it's an option. What about Suisun City and American Canyon? I looked and there seems to be some nice homes in that area as well. Your help and advice is highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
$250,000-$275,000 with views of the hills or bay? Pinole and the hillier areas of San Pablo and Richmond immediately come to mind. In Pinole, you can get near bayfront or be on a small hill with very nice bay views.

Richmond and San Pablo EAST of the 80 freeway have very hilly and relatively safe neighborhoods with beautiful views as well.

Also, there is a ton of shopping as you have San Pablo Av, and Hilltop Mall and the huge shopping strip malls in Pinole right along 80.

Also, you have near perfect weather--not too hot, not too cold. Just right.

Also, if you take a look at realtor.com, there are also some hilltop homes in neighboring Hercules, which is a rather upscale town, in that price range currently on the market.

This is a very good time to take advantage of the nicer ares of West Contra Costa County in your price range.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Thank you Montclair, I have been eying these areas as well. I think I am due for a visit to look around. Keep the suggestions and ideas coming everyone, as I said the commute is no issue and schools are not of a concern as long the area is safe.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
The best part of Solano County set up for appreciation with the possibility of a view is in Fairfield's Green Valley neighborhoods. I don't just say that because I live here =)

In the low $200s, you could set yourself up in a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath early 1990s stock on a hillside across from the community college. That's probably the best bargain being that the homes set below are only marginally larger (new construction) and are priced in the high $200s to high $300s. The homes in the same development are newer construction mini-mansions valued beginning in the low $600s - there is certainly some value in having the worst house in the best neighborhood.

Green Valley is putting in extensive development as we speak - Green Valley Crossing was just the beginning. They just finished up Suisun Parkway set up for retail (too early to tell exactly what).

Suisun City and Cordelia is a considerable down-grade from Green Valley, but Suisun City has a really quaint downtown area with more and more happening there, so if you found a place within walking distance of the downtown shops and marina, that would be best. It's pretty cute down there already and they're putting in some upgrades - new sidewalks, and there are a few new retail shops.

Vallejo's Glen Cove hosts some housing stock with some having water views beginning in the low-$200s but Vallejo's current state of affairs makes some nervous about living there - speaking to issues you may have at re-sale. Is Glen Cove safe? Yeah, generally speaking, but for more seclusion (and a view with rolling, green hills instead of water), you might try Hiddenbrooke which is located right between Vallejo and Fairfield, set in the hills. If you're not concerned about schools, this is a very safe little enclave of Vallejo - high $200s can get you a nice little home. The biggest problem for Hiddenbrooke for re-sale is that they're attending Vallejo city schools - whereas in Green Valley, Nelda Mundy and GV Middle test out wonderfully on the API (high 800s for GVM and low 900s for Nelda Mundy) - another reason I think Green Valley is set up well for relative appreciation in comparison.

Like Montclair, I'd recommend Hercules/Pinole. Both have a wealth of condos that were overvalued during the height of the market. On the very top of Refugio Valley road, you'd get yourself a nice little view for a relative pittance. Better schools here, but you'll get less space for your money. You mention not being a condo person, though. Both have a small stock of 3/2 homes that you'd get a shot at but the inventory isn't jam-packed in Hercules until you get into the $300s because of the foreclosures that occurred in the newer developments. High $200s might nab something in one of the older-new construction areas that needs a little TLC.

Vacaville is a nicer community than Fairfield in general (outside of Green Valley which might as well be its own city) - I struggle to contemplate an area within your $200-$275 range that would have a view (most of Vacaville is flat) but my favorite part of Vacaville is actually the one area that might have a view. A year ago there was a 3/2 moderate fixer with a gorgeous view on Wykoff off of Alamo. The home was in great shape but needed a new driveway (of course, also one on stilts - no garage) for $300.

This area where this home is located would be worth a look.

Okay, I've rambled enough. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Thank you again Parti, I appreciate the info.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Wow, things have changed a lot if there are any bay area homes for $250,000 - $275,000 these days. The little old house we had in Castro Valley was worth $700,000 in 2007.

As for Solano County, I always found it too hot, dry and windy. If we ever went back it would have to be Lafayette, where I grew up, or Half Moon Bay.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM

I love Lafayette, wish if I can afford it. I used to walk the reservoir trail every weekend. Had lunches and dinners at restaurants there. Moraga is great too, but still very pricey. I want to find something close enough to SF that still provide me with enough space and I won't be a slave to my house.

Now, what about Davis? anyone on this board have an opinion to share with me or should I post this on the Sacramento board?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:06 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
My wife works in Davis (and I work in the Bay) which is why we chose Green Valley as a bit of a middle ground.

We love Davis! Who wouldn't? But it's pricey. $200-$275 doesn't go far in the Davis SFH market like it does further west (or east) on I-80. The homes and condos in Davis make for terrific income property rentals for UC Davis students, but if you can find something in your price range, what better situation than being in a terrific little city that you'd love to spend time in within a relatively short drive to SF for day trips (I wouldn't recommend it for daily commutes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Wow, things have changed a lot if there are any bay area homes for $250,000 - $275,000 these days.
It's about time, right? =)

Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I love Lafayette, wish if I can afford it. I used to walk the reservoir trail every weekend. Had lunches and dinners at restaurants there. Moraga is great too, but still very pricey. I want to find something close enough to SF that still provide me with enough space and I won't be a slave to my house.
El Sobrante is right on the other side of the San Pablo Reservoir from Orinda and offers sort of the same rural feel of Lamorinda but its not as expensive and not as upscale--but you do get the sweeping views of the ridge and hills along with the recreation and beautiful weather(if you look carefully you might find a home in you price range) If you decide to consider that area, I recommend Carriage Hills, El Sobrante Hills and the area at the top end of May Road.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Yes, I remember driving abut the San Pablo Dam road and really enjoying the view. The more I read about this the more I want to plan a trip west. There was an article about Benicia in Sunset Magazine this month (I still get it although I don't live west anymore :-) ) and they said it's turning around and adding businesses. Is that true? I never been to any of these cities other than driving thru, so one part of me is thinking I should rent something for 6 months to get to know these areas before I make a final decicion. Thank you all for helping, if you think of something, keep the suggestions coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland