Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,027 times

Advertisements

Hello, forum-dwellers! I'm Swedish, planning to move to California (Frisco) by the end of summer. Can somebody give me an advice - I have plans to start my small IT company and will need few employees to work in the office. I don't know much about hiring staff in CA. What would be the best place to look for job-seekers? Some local newspapers probably? Or some Frisco online resources. Thanks a lot! PS: PM me please if posting urls in public thread goes beyond the forum rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Put ads on craigslist and you'll get more resumes than you can handle.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Networking.

I can't believe I just told that to a potential IT business owner.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLift View Post
Hello, forum-dwellers! I'm Swedish, planning to move to California (Frisco) by the end of summer. Can somebody give me an advice - I have plans to start my small IT company and will need few employees to work in the office. I don't know much about hiring staff in CA. What would be the best place to look for job-seekers? Some local newspapers probably? Or some Frisco online resources. Thanks a lot! PS: PM me please if posting urls in public thread goes beyond the forum rules.
Post ads on craigslist usually works for us.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Two places to look for IT employees: sfbay.craigslist.org (most companies post job openings here) and the local startup incubators since it sounds like you are going to be doing a "start up."

Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Look on Linkedin for people that meet your profile. I'd recommend upgrading to a paid account so you can directly mail out a few prospects. But you can join the relevant IT groups and post jobs there. You can also make a few connections. This is a really good way to get top talent. You can scout from similar companies (ahem poach) or maybe you'll communicate with someone friendly who can help you with finding a few prospects. I usually forward all job requests from recruiters if they aren't relevant to me...

Also, get your linkedin company page up ASAP. You can use that to post jobs too, and many savvy people will start there when researching your company. And you never know, someone you are connected to could be connected to all of the right people.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
You might want to connect with the Swedish-American chambers of commerce.

SACC San Francisco/Silicon Valley

Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Look on Linkedin for people that meet your profile. I'd recommend upgrading to a paid account so you can directly mail out a few prospects. But you can join the relevant IT groups and post jobs there. You can also make a few connections. This is a really good way to get top talent. You can scout from similar companies (ahem poach) or maybe you'll communicate with someone friendly who can help you with finding a few prospects. I usually forward all job requests from recruiters if they aren't relevant to me...

Also, get your linkedin company page up ASAP. You can use that to post jobs too, and many savvy people will start there when researching your company. And you never know, someone you are connected to could be connected to all of the right people.
I know a few it guys who are on contract with big names like yahoo, eBay, google, but they would prefer F/T depending on location. What part of bay are you looking?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
There are quite a few Ericsson alumni around here (and their "cousins," Raynet alumni). That network might be a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland