Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 05:43 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times

Advertisements

We own a small tech business (at-home but may expand to an office in the city) and it might make sense for us to relocate to the San Francisco area where many of our clients are and various conferences we attend on an annual basis. I'm also an artist so I am looking for space/peace to concentrate on that as well. I'm guessing Marin County is better to start looking at vs. Oakland and points east? Looking for a safe, upscale and quiet community with single-family rent around $3k, within easy driving range to downtown San Francisco. Preferably with lots of natural areas to enjoy the outdoors. (Not interested in quirky festivals/ car shows/ mingling, that type of thing). I am used to living in quiet urban areas so this would be a huge change for me! Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Last edited by itscolduphere; 06-23-2011 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: forgot the y in preferably. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Sebastopol, CA (in Sonoma County) is a little farther north from Marin, but doesn't have the extent of priciness you'd find in Marin. it's a lovely, quiet community and is only about 25 minutes from a very wonderful stretch of coastline. There's a certain amount of tourism, but not nearly as much as in other areas, and it's only 15 minutes from great shopping in Santa Rosa.

There's an artistic community present and a lovely small-town atmosphere. Several of my friends have lived there for years, and wouldn't be anywhere else.

It definitely qualifies for your Quiet Artist-Friendly Town category. Check it out!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
South Marin could fit but is very expensive--maybe check out Bolinas. Northern Marin is a bit cheaper. You could also check out the Santa Cruz area though it's about 2 hours to SF, but it's a lot of hippie types in the woods. Anywhere near SF is pretty suburban and densely populated and expensive compared to areas the further out you go from the city. Marin is relatively underpopulated considering how close it is to SF, but it's still pretty developed and expensive and all those mountain roads make it take longer to get around.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I am used to living in quiet urban areas so this would be a huge change for me! Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Sorry, I meant quiet RURAL areas!

Thanks for replies!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Bolinas.

But you might get lost trying to find it cause locals take down highway signs directing motorists to their town cause they dont like outsiders visiting.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Sorry, I meant quiet RURAL areas!

Thanks for replies!
Still, check out Sonoma County, as it's very easy to "get rural" over there. Sebastopol has only about 8K in population and in 5 minutes one is in the country.

That you are looking for an artistic community is an over-riding reason for at least seeing what the area is like. Also, Forestville is not far away, and would qualify in the arts area.
Although Forestville would add about half an hour to the drive time to SF.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 PM

109 posts, read 300,079 times
You can check out Canyon... a tiny little enclave hidden in the redwood hills just east of Oakland. Most people don't even know it exists. I am not sure is anything ever comes up for rent tho and I don't know if I would call it 'upscale'?!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Bolinas.

But you might get lost trying to find it cause locals take down highway signs directing motorists to their town cause they dont like outsiders visiting.
You weren't kidding! Looked it up on Wikipedia and that's what it said! Couldn't believe the number of poets and artists listed under "notable residents". This is intriguing...

Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Quote:
We own a small tech business (at-home but may expand to an office in the city).
"Pandora CEO Joe Kennedy told me that Oakland satisfies the company’s needs and then some"

"Joe Kennedy always says that Oakland is the only place his company could be because of its cultural vibe," Mayor Jean Quan said. "This is the place where he can find the kind of talent he needs to make his business possible.

“When you’re talking about a young company, a start-up, finance matters and Oakland has very reasonable costs by Bay Area standards,” he said. “We’re a music company. We like the character of the neighborhood with the Paramount and the Fox Theater nearby. That resonates with many of the employees at Pandora.”

IPO ignites 'Pandora effect' in Oakland | San Francisco Business Times

Quote:
I'm also an artist so I am looking for space/peace to concentrate on that as well.
Ranked #11 in The Best American Cities for Artists and Designers.
The Best American Cities for Artists and Designers « The Jailbreak – Infotainment for Creatives

- Has the highest concentration of artists per capita

Oakland Vacations, Travel Guide and Trips ? Discover America

Quote:
within easy driving range to downtown San Francisco.
Oakland is 8 miles from San Francisco

Driving - right across the bay bridge to San Francisco
Boating - Ferry across the bay to San Francisco
Bus - bus directly to San Francisco
B.A.R.T. - Heavy rail public transit option to San Francisco (fastest)

Quote:
Preferably with lots of natural areas to enjoy the outdoors.
Lake Merritt - Largest Urban saltwater Lake in the nation; Oldest Wildlife Refuge in the nation
http://ih3.redbubble.net/work.144469...california.jpg

Lake Temescal - large lake in the hills of Oakland
http://baynature.org/articles/jul-sep-2003/reservoirs/captionimage_mainarticle (broken link)

Redwood Regional forest - forest in the hills of Oakland
http://sfbayaep.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/snapshot-2010-02-11-22-25-50.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: No hotlinking, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland