Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM

49 posts, read 70,593 times

Advertisements

We've heard about neighborhoods like the Haight and the 'Loin. How do you survive it on a day-to-day if you have to be in these hoods for work or home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
After a while you recognize each other, you see their gambit. A nod is all you need to say hi after you know each other. I have sat elbows to elbows in cafes with them. Who cares?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 PM

179 posts, read 412,209 times
How to deal with pan handling? Lets see. You grab the pan which you will find somewhere in the vicinity of the stove in your kitchen. Which is sometimes also called a skillet or even a sauce pan. By the handle. And with your soon to be meal in the big round metal part... Place on the burner which you will find atop your range. Then set heat to the required setting and wait for the prescribed number of minutes. Use care not to get burned. Then with hand protected by an oven mite. So you do not get burned... Grab the pan with your strong arm. While turning off the burner which is below the pan. With your other arm. And serve:-) Just had to say that....

I just explain to them I live on social security and have less cash than what is in there cup. Which most often is true. Frankly I rarely encounter them. Even in west Oakland. Have had maybe three sightings since I moved here in April. Oh and one sighting just south of the tenderloin back in 2009 when I was checking out the city. Maybe I have just been lucky or something. But I just have not seen it being a problem. Save for the panhandlers them selves. Just wished they had more help so they wouldn't have to live what to me. Well I would rather be dead than be in there shoes.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
You develop what i call the "Berkeley stare" which means looking right through the panhandler as if he's invisible.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You develop what i call the "Berkeley stare" which means looking right through the panhandler as if he's invisible.
HAHA Wow! People have told me that I do that. Never knew there was a "Berkeley Stare" though LOL

Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 PM

310 posts, read 651,706 times
"Survive" panhandling? Please...give me a break.

I guess you have no REAL problems in your life. Grow up.

Or, maybe you'd like to experience the other side of the pan?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yup...just ignore them. If they get too close, tell them to step off.

Same thing for Greenpeace canvassers.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:17 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
After reading an article that quoted homeless people as saying they welcome a smile and a nod because most people pretend they're invisible, I started doing that unless they seem crazy. Seems to make them feel nice not to be ignored, and they aren't pushy about money.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times
Some pan handlers (mooches) earn pretty good money. I cant give what i dont have.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,588 times
when i first moverd to SF a pan handler grabbed me and said give me some money.

in my naivity i just assumed that this guy was trying to engage in strong arm robbery so of course I clocked him , put him down and made clear he should never touch me again

imagine my surprised when i was admonished for this.
No it was explained to me that what occured was something unique to SF called "aggresive panhandling" where pan handlers can grab or intimidate pedestrians.

didn't i feel silly!!!
i had never heard of "aggressive panhandling"
just because that behavior is strong armed robbery in every other city i have lived
dosen't make it the case in SF of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland