Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times

Advertisements

S.F. apartment rent rises as vacancy rates fall

Yaaay! Whilst the Rest Of Us either can't find work or have seen our wages stagnate or even go down, tech companies hiring CS majors just out of Stanford or UC are having a hiring war...gotta wonder about bubbles. Combine that with the fact that nationally a lot of people are being pushed into the rental market because they either can't get loans or afford them, and you get very tight rental markets in places like SF or Silicon Valley.

Quote:
Apartment hunting in San Francisco has turned into a competitive sport with hopeful renters swarming open houses and experiencing more rejections than contestants on "Survivor."

"You have to pounce as soon as you see an ad you like," said Chris Covert, a manager at Symantec who was among 18 people vying for a $1,395 Nob Hill studio last week. "It's definitely nuts."
Must be quite a manager...

This stuck out for me though, keep it in mind:

Quote:
Over in the East Bay, the rental market is not as hot, with rates and vacancies holding steady.
I went through a similar tough market in 2007 in SF. Here's some tips in general for getting an apartment in SF:

- always bring a copy of your credit report to viewings so you can show the landlord, and get one that shows your credit score number. Once they look at your credit score they will often let you get the place. Also bring a filled-out generic rental application, even if the landlord won't take it and insists you fill out one of their forms, you at least already have your info ready to copy over.

- If you see a place you like, immediately pounce on it. Ask the landlord if you can put down a deposit, be pushy and firm but don't be obnoxious. Unlike most other rental markets you won't be able to go look at 20 places then mull over your options and call up the first place you looked at, by that time it WILL be taken. BUT be careful about apartments, a lot of them especially in SF are really dumpy and might look nice but have horrible flaws. Check all the fixtures and kitchen appliances (stove, fridge etc) and look in all the nooks and crannies to make sure there isn't something horrible that isn't in plain sight like a big mold spot or a mouse hole or whatever.

- If all else fails, try Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
I can't wait for the next "I'm moving from the east coast - can I get an apartment for $700/month in San Fran?" question.

Sorry Mayorhaggar! I wrote "San Fran" on purpose just to make your day!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM

64 posts, read 235,891 times
This makes me glad I am moving to Oakland when my lease is up! (Though maybe I am crazy to give up an apt in SF the way things are now ...)

Old 08-12-2011, 04:34 PM

457 posts, read 756,486 times
I don't know if you guys saw this. Nick Bolton, the NYT technology reporter and author of the bits blog recently moved from NYC to SF (may be he was one of the east coast to SF posters here..lol). Here's his experience.

Tech and the San Francisco Rental Bubble - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland