Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Bay vs South South Bay
North Bay 6 54.55%
South South Bay 1 9.09%
Same Same But Different 1 9.09%
Stay The Heck Out Of SF... We don't need more Salespeople! 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 39,426 times

Advertisements

Cooler...

William Macy fan?
A very good film.
Loved Baldwin.

I am a little concerned about being able to make the drive in 1 day alone. Notice the hotel situation in Redding is okay , but read some of the budget flea bags are to be avoided. I'd like to keep the budget is lean and I'm cheaper than a dollar store shoplifter.

Any recommendations for a cheap 1 night stay?

I've slept in some detestable, deplorable & disgusting motels in my travels through out my career. Heck, I might even consider putting the mattress on the top layer of my u-haul & climbing in for a quick snooze. If any of you read a report about a 45 year old professional found dead from dehydration heat exhaustion in in the back of a tiny u-haul in a walmart parking lot in northern california, please contact my family & tell them it's my fault for being such a cheap bastard.

Anybody know the situation on couchsurfing or websites for 1 night travelers stays? Nothing worse than ending up in the hepatitis hotel, with a lumpy bed, a bad tv & hookers next door. I would rather end up dead than find myself in a situation with carlos the pimp knocking on my door at 4 o'clock in the morning trying to sell me crack.

Don Draper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
South Bay cracks 90 or even100 degrees fairly regularly, that's 'hot' to me.
It's not humid, which is nice....
Which is why the hottest average high for any month is 86?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Just stay at a Motel 6 at the very least, shouldn't be more than $40-50 a night when you're out in ruralish California. They're generally at least reliably clean, if you stay at "random redneck hotel in the middle of nowhere right off the highway" you never know what you're getting.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM

297 posts, read 766,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Draper View Post
Cooler...

William Macy fan?
A very good film.
Loved Baldwin.

I am a little concerned about being able to make the drive in 1 day alone. Notice the hotel situation in Redding is okay , but read some of the budget flea bags are to be avoided. I'd like to keep the budget is lean and I'm cheaper than a dollar store shoplifter.

Any recommendations for a cheap 1 night stay?

I've slept in some detestable, deplorable & disgusting motels in my travels through out my career. Heck, I might even consider putting the mattress on the top layer of my u-haul & climbing in for a quick snooze. If any of you read a report about a 45 year old professional found dead from dehydration heat exhaustion in in the back of a tiny u-haul in a walmart parking lot in northern california, please contact my family & tell them it's my fault for being such a cheap bastard.

Anybody know the situation on couchsurfing or websites for 1 night travelers stays? Nothing worse than ending up in the hepatitis hotel, with a lumpy bed, a bad tv & hookers next door. I would rather end up dead than find myself in a situation with carlos the pimp knocking on my door at 4 o'clock in the morning trying to sell me crack.

Don Draper

My nickname was given to me by a fan of the movie, as I'm a professional cooler; wherever I go to work layoffs, downsizing, going out of business is soon to follow (I'm an accountant and so far I've had 5 severance packages and narrowly avoided 2 other layoffs).

Sorry I can't really help with the hotels, since I always drive straight through. If you really want to couch surf, i think there are some websites that you can search for something like that. One i think is couchsurf.com (or something similar), and another is airbnb.com. Also if you're outdoorsy, you could camp in the Mt. Shasta area since its a vacation area, I would assume there would be at least a few campgrounds. I would expect them to be pretty safe, this area has lots of retirees and outdoorsy folks, maybe a few rednecks, but not likely to find much crack

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Which is why the hottest average high for any month is 86?
Right. So at least 50% of the time it's hotter than 86.
Because that's the average.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
I live in South San Jose, and it doesn't break 90 very often... Pretty much sticks to the 80's during the warm months.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Weed is nice. And so is the town, for an overnight stay.

Quite a sight waking up in the morning and seeing Mt. Shasta towering over you. Clean, refreshing air makes for a good starting place for the second half of the trip

Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 AM

GOD...

A friend mentioned Weed tonight & it looks like a close halfway point btw Portland & Petaluma. I'm already spending a fortune breaking a lease here in Portland & getting an apartment in North Bay & I really don't want to spend $50 for a shower & crappy nights rest in a cruddy motel if I don't have to. I prefer to take that 50 dollars by myself a rare filet mignon at ruth chris with a side of asparagus & the lovely garlic mashed potatoes.

I wish I had a little tent I could pop or was still driving my vw van I had when my hair was long and I was still skinny. Damn, the years haven't been kind. The old gray mare just ain't what she used to be.

Any ideas for super cheap lodging would be appreciated...

Don Draper

Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Damn, where to begin...

1. You don't know the difference between a median and a mean.

2. That is the average high, not average temperature in general.

3. It applies solely to the month of August.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Krud

Seems like you guys a discussing the weather.
I side with bob dylan on this issue.
Whatever way the wind blows...

Don Draper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland