Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,028,299 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm visiting San Francisco for the first time this week. What are the names of a couple of restaurants that I must visit in San Francisco that San Francisco is known for? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,087,791 times
It really depends on what you feel like eating, how much you want to splurge, what parts of the city you'll be hanging out in, etc.

Maybe check this out:

Culinary highlights of S.F.'s 49 square miles

Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,028,299 times
I do not want to spend too much, nothing fancy, just some good food. I was looking for something near any BART system stop. I dont care what type of food but I like seafood.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,733,803 times
Well, since you've never been to SF and you like seafood, you might as well try Fisherman's Wharf which is a total tourist trap but they do have a lot of seafood restaurants. Since this is a tourist trap, they tend to charge whatever the traffic will bare for food and the tourists are happy to pay it! www.visitfishermanswharf.com/dining/default.aspx (broken link)

From the BART station at Powell St., you can take the F line of antique streetcars ($2 one way) or take a cable car ($6 one way) to Fisherman's Wharf. Since this is your first trip to SF, try the cable car just outside the BART station. Have fun!

Old 10-02-2011, 03:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It really depends on what you feel like eating, how much you want to splurge, what parts of the city you'll be hanging out in, etc.

Maybe check this out:

Culinary highlights of S.F.'s 49 square miles
Some of the recommendations here are hit and miss. Some neighborhoods have lots of good ones, so they left out some stellar choices.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Well, since you've never been to SF and you like seafood, you might as well try Fisherman's Wharf which is a total tourist trap but they do have a lot of seafood restaurants. Since this is a tourist trap, they tend to charge whatever the traffic will bare for food and the tourists are happy to pay it! Fisherman's Wharf Dining: Your dining guide to Fisherman's Wharf restaurants (http://www.visitfishermanswharf.com/dining/default.aspx - broken link)

From the BART station at Powell St., you can take the F line of antique streetcars ($2 one way) or take a cable car ($6 one way) to Fisherman's Wharf. Since this is your first trip to SF, try the cable car just outside the BART station. Have fun!
I'd head over to the Ferry Building. Great choices there for seafood. Try the Hog Island Oyster place.

I'd also recommend Dosa, it is at 19th and Valencia (or it might be 20th). South Indian food, which is pretty uncommon. I haven't tried the new cocktails there since they did a big remodel, but have a dosa and the chennai chicken! It also is pretty reasonably priced. Definitely a fun place to go.

One of my favorite places is Fresca (there are several all over the city) they have a HUGE ceviche menu. Definitely worth a visit for Peruvian food. There is another Peruvian place I have only had drinks at that gets good reviews. It is at Pier 1.5. I don't recall the name, but it is just past the Ferry Building towards Fisherman's Wharf. They also have a large ceviche menu.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:27 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,995,773 times
Burma Superstar in Inner Richmond

Slanted Door at the Ferry Building

In n Out if you are not from California

Off the Grid food truck event, google Off the Grid San Francisco- make sure to try Chairman Bao

Waffle Mania truck in Golden Gate Park or anywhere you can find it

Hard Knox Cafe in Dogpatch

Little Skillet in SOMA

Yank Sing dim sum, a little pricey but nice experience

Cafe Claude, a French bistro in union square

Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,087,791 times
Hunan Homes and House of Nanking are the only Chinese places in Chinatown that I've ever really liked. I've never found a good Italian restaurant in North Beach but I've only tried maybe 5 but all were disappointing, there's some good cafes there with good cannoli and gelato though. Japantown has a lot of good restaurants, I'd recommend the katsu curry at Osakaya. There are some good Korean places near there too.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,776,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Hunan Homes and House of Nanking are the only Chinese places in Chinatown that I've ever really liked. I've never found a good Italian restaurant in North Beach but I've only tried maybe 5 but all were disappointing, there's some good cafes there with good cannoli and gelato though. Japantown has a lot of good restaurants, I'd recommend the katsu curry at Osakaya. There are some good Korean places near there too.

If you consider a pizza joint "italian" then I'd highly recommend Tony's Napoletano pizza, specifically the margheritta. It's truly one of the best pizzas I've ever had in life. And right across the street from it is an excellent ice cream parlor.

Getting back to the OP's question though, there's way too many to list... here's four of the ones I can think of right now though:

Little Star Pizza (Fillmore/Western Addition)
Brenda's (Tenderloin)
Tony's Napoletano Pizza (North Beach)
Swensen's Ice Cream (Russian Hill)

Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM

457 posts, read 757,415 times
Pizza Delfina
Nopa
Brenda's for brunch

Actually yelp and then filter by number of reviews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland