Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 PM

32 posts, read 100,276 times

Advertisements

35 to 50 minutes is actually a little better than we imagined so that's good! I don't need terribly exciting. I just want family friendly. I expect to have to drive to the supermarket. Not sure about the fog. Does that mean fog all day that never lifts? I'm used to gray and dreary in Seattle but we tend to get gorgeous sun breaks during the day which I'd miss if the gig never lifts! Just moved to Seattle from NY a year ago so we can get used to most anything. I guess it's all going to come down to budget!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlebound1 View Post
Do you think it would feel isolating to be up on the hill? Any thoughts on the neighborhood?
This neighborhood has a great location right in the center of the city. You are 4 miles or less from anywhere in the city. It is a better location than Noe Valley for driving around the city. You can drive down Twin Peaks to Clayton for easy access to Cole Valley or the Haight. You can drive on Clarendon and go right on 7th to get to Golden Gate Park and Inner Sunset. Cut through the park and go to Inner Richmond. It is only a 15 minute drive to Japantown from this area. You probably won't walk to many stores and access to public transit is not good unless you can walk to Forest Hills station or catch the buses on Laguna Honda.

This is a great area for kids with the new playground on Olympian. Clarendon school is one of the highest rated in the city(if you can get in).

Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 AM

Cool. Thanks for the great info!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Usually the more walkable an area is the more difficult it is to park there--flatter land and shops and restaurants attract drivers who need to park their cars. I would really suggest looking into Glen Park, it has a cool little downtown area near the BART station and it's not as hilly as Bernal Heights or Twin Peaks and it's right by 280. Weather is maybe better on Bernal or Noe Valley but Glen Park isn't as foggy as areas west of Twin Peaks.

Pics of Glen Park:

Can get some more here:

http://www.sanfranciscodays.com/glen-park/

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
It has nice views, safe but definitely not a walkable or exciting neighborhood. I also think most apartments there are kind of run-down but there are many multi-million $ homes there. Twin peaks is 100% residential and closet restaurants are in Noe Valley which is short but VERY steep walk. So walking anywhere is major exercise and hiking adventure- Its difficult to access public transit from twin peaks and freeway access to 101/280 will easily take 20-30 mins in rush hour. So the commute to Redwood city will be very unpleasant.
Good post! I partially grew up on the edge of Noe Valley and Twin Peaks, and can back up everything you said there. LOL It's amazing that when you're not exaggerating or outright lying about SF's weather, you actually know what you're talking about.

There are also some kind of close restaurants/amenities in Miraloma Park (along Portola Drive), the Castro, and Diamond heights. Nothing is too close though if walking, there are NO amenities actually on twin peaks (purely residential), every walk involves giant hills, bus service is lacking up there, and it occasionally gets really foggy (which is a plus or minus, depending on the person). On the flip side, you get amazing views, some nice parks nearby, and it's also relatively quiet, if that's a plus (but being on a giant hill in the middle of the city, you will hear plenty of city noises, even if it's not a busy neighborhood).

Old 10-10-2011, 02:14 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,699,074 times
Why not consider moving to the Peninsula (Redwood City / Menlo / etc) - your husband could have a 10-15 minute commute (quality of life + savings on gas and mileage), and the downtowns are quite walkable and family friendly.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Good question. I visited the Peninsula and it just felt too suburban to me. And not much cheaper. In fact, more expensive in some cases!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,520,177 times
Quote:
Isn't Sunset too far from 280? how about West Portal. What kind of neighborhood is it?
West Portal/Forest Hill area is one of the nicest residential area in SF with good public transit and a nice commercial stretch on West Portal. I would guess West Portal is pretty expensive. West Portal like Sunset is very foggy with relentless fog throughout summer.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Why not consider moving to the Peninsula (Redwood City / Menlo / etc) - your husband could have a 10-15 minute commute (quality of life + savings on gas and mileage), and the downtowns are quite walkable and family friendly.
^^^This is what I was thinking^^^

Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Good question. I visited the Peninsula and it just felt too suburban to me. And not much cheaper. In fact, more expensive in some cases!
It's true the Peninsula is suburban/boring and possibly not any cheaper (although you may get more square footage for the rent you pay). But the trade off is a less stressful, less time consuming, and less costly commute. Don't underestimate those things! In general, SF is just not very kid oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland