Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 PM

203 posts, read 428,319 times

Advertisements

So I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing a fold-up bicycle. I've been referred to Dahon and their models which are plentiful but I'm confused as to which model best suits my interests/needs.

I plan on commuting in the city to Bart and then a small commute to an office park in San Bruno and the ability to fold the bike is necessary to cut public transit space.

I'm not glued to Dahon and certainly open for suggestions if anybody has any.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
NYC809,

Here is my take on folding bikes. I have only tried specific models of Brompton, Bike Friday, and Dahon.

Brompton: expensive, handbuilt in England, and gives you the smallest size when folded (can go through airport scanner. 16" wheels, a little more bumpier than 20" wheels.
Dahon: you above average folding bike. almost every folding bikes out there have this folding configuration. you can't go wrong with them. I would get 3 speeds because I think that's enough to get through the hills of SF.
Bike Friday: also good bikes, similar to Dahon but a little more expensive.
Downtube Nova: very similar to Dahon but at half the price. you can only get them online.
Citizens: very inexpensive but on the heavy side.

There are definitley more brands out there but these are some of the popular ones above. Bike Hut at the Caltrain station carries a few makes and the people there are cool.

If money is not an object, go with the Brompton. Brompton S for the more agressive ride or Brompton M for more upright position.

If you are tight with money, I would go with the Downtube Nova.

If you want to be safe by trying out a folding bike in person and have extra cash, Dahon cannot go wrong.

On a side note, I am happy you are taking up biking. This is the best form of transportation (combined with mass transit) in the Bay Area. One less car!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM

203 posts, read 428,319 times
Ubringliten,

Your helpful/insightful response is very useful for my search! Prior to moving to downtown Miami, I haven't owned a car in 8 years as I relied on public transit during my time in the Northeast.

I honestly can't stand driving short distances so I've been commuting via public transit to work every day. Instead of using their MetroMover, I want to continue doing my share for the environment but also gain some exercise out of it.

I currently own a Cannondale mountainbike but it has had its better days and I'm due for a new ride. I'm really digging the whole concept of folding a bike for not only making space in my apartment but to also carry it with me inside wherever I go.

I'll go through your list above and would ideally like to test one out in person before making the big purchase.

I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do! Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
Great! You are a longtime cyclist. If you are into biking in large groups of people, exploring new cities and neighborhoods, and meeting new people, there are bunch of bike events (San Francisco Bike Party, San Jose, Santa Cruz, Eastbay, Bike Soiree, and a whole slew of other events and bike related festivals).

Oh, I meant Warm Planet not Bike Hut at the Caltrain station.

Happy Pedaling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland