Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What football team do you follow?
49ers 30 61.22%
Raiders 12 24.49%
Other 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,293,308 times

Advertisements

Having lived here for 22 years, I know many people who support BOTH teams, the Raiders and Niners. It's all for the love of football and supporting the local teams. Never heard of people from LA driving all the way up here just to go to a Raiders game. After all they're the Oakland Raiders, not the LA Raiders anymore.

I personally never cared for the Raiders or the thug following. I have always been a Niners fan, and being from the Chicago area, I still root for the Chicago Bears as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 8,077 times
I can't wait for the Raiders or 49ers or BOTH move to LA.

LA Raiders and LA 49ers have a nice ring to it. After all, the main west coast city should have the main west coast teams!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM

876 posts, read 1,791,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastAsianPoster View Post
I can't wait for the Raiders or 49ers or BOTH move to LA.

LA Raiders and LA 49ers have a nice ring to it. After all, the main west coast city should have the main west coast teams!
Don't hold your breath on that one.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 11,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Don't hold your breath on that one.
It's already happened once

Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,770,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 832973 View Post
It's already happened once
The new stadium in Santa Clara will claim at least the Niners, and very likely the Raiders as well. LA will likely get the Chargers or Jaguars at Farmers Field.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 11,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The new stadium in Santa Clara will claim at least the Niners, and very likely the Raiders as well. LA will likely get the Chargers or Jaguars at Farmers Field.
I don't know about that..the games at Oakland have a notorious problem of being blacked out I doubt they ever would be blacked out in LA, given the much larger population of the LA media market.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,770,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 832973 View Post
I don't know about that..the games at Oakland have a notorious problem of being blacked out I doubt they ever would be blacked out in LA, given the much larger population of the LA media market.
Refer to post #5. Blackouts don't happen when the team is reasonably good.

Oakland Coliseum (sorry O.o) is a pit, and it's been well established that many potential fans are turned off by such garbage stadiums. OTH, professional teams of any league in this country have found out that a new facility has a dramatic effect on the turnstile numbers and the requisite revenue. Owners aren't dropping ten figures on these for kicks.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM

330 posts, read 746,929 times
Is there any truth to this rumor I keep hearing that if the Niners move to Santa Clara the city of San Francisco could force them to change their name? i.e. remove the "SF" logo?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,756,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
As a newcomer I'm always confused by the allegiances people have here. I would have thought anybody from the East Bay would be a die-hard Raiders fan. You'd think that would be a fairly simple concept. But I work in the East Bay and see plenty of Niners fans over here. I've even met a few people "born and raised" in Berkeley who are Niners fans. Not to mention, I take BART back to SF every day and all throughout baseball season I saw a ton of people on the train commuting into the city from El Cerrito/Berkeley/Oakland wearing Giants gear.

I wonder if its a class thing. Like people from the Berkeley hills don't want to be associated with the "ghetto" Raiders fans. I know for a while Niners fans got teased about being the "wine and cheese" crowd or whatever....Although, having visited Candlestick this year for a Niners game, there is certainly a ghetto element there as well. Maybe it's not always been that way though....
like it or not, the Giants and 49ers are the marquis franchises in the Bay Area. The deep rooted 49ers go back to the 1940's, with NFL membership starting around 1950. The Giants brought baseball west in 1958 (along with the Dodgers, of course); that's the true year that the city was seen as "major league" (the NFL yet to be anywhere as trong as MLB).

Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
Going to the raiders bears game this week end. Got tickets some nice seats in the end zone. I will report back after theweek end to let you know how many stabbings, shootings, and crack smoking I see from some of the local folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland